Best SAP resort?

TheDailyMoo

DIS Veteran
Still not a member but always looking. If I decided to go with SAP which is a distinct possibility because I'm in the "I want to maximize savings" camp, which is the best resort ASSUMING similar per point pricing and contract size? I notice the usual suspects of OKW and SSR but have noticed a few BR near those prices as well. Is there anything you've seen in the not too much farther up category that would make you pay more for lets say AKV and how much more. All subjective I know.

I think most will say OKW and BRV just aren’t as good of an investment as SSR and AKV because of the 2042 expiration. Unless you find a deal on the OKW Extended, I would stay away from those. Only exception is if you love BRV and must stay there at the peak times, then buy where you want to stay! 😁

I went with SSR after analyzing several others.

I did make several offers on BLT contracts but at the time of my offers the sellers were not willing. Several sold later for less than my offer.

If you can find an OKW extended, the dues at SSR is still lower. I think most members here who bought SAP went with SSR for that reason. Another option is, if you can find a really great deal on Aulani subsidized? I know a couple members got really lucky and bought Aulani as their SAP.

These are a sample of current asking prices -

SSR - 150pts - $95pp - with dues = $10.94 per point per year

CCV - 150pts - $135pp - with dues = $11.04 per point per year

BLT - 160pts - $135pp - with dues = $11.04 per point per year

When you break them out this way, there is little difference.

VGF - 220 pts - $154pp - with dues $11.18 per point per year
While this very close to the best SAP pack, it differs because its direct cost is so close that resale isn’t worth it.

Between SSR, BRV and OKW, it’s SSR by a mile. OKW’s dues are too high and then add in a potential 2042 expiration date. BRV again the 2042 expiration date. SSR has the longer duration and cheaper dues. I wouldn’t recommend OKW/BRV unless you really like staying there in which case they’re technically not SAP but just a resort you like. I know you brought up AKV but keep in mind how high the dues are at AKV because of the savanna. I own AKV because I like the resort and want to be able to book Jambo whenever and for me paying the premium on the dues is worth it but if you’re not picky or don’t see yourself staying there frequently then I wouldn’t recommend it. I also liked that it gives me a chance at value studios/1BR/2BR although there’s not that many of them. So like everything in DVC it’s very subjective to your own tastes but if you truly have no preference then SSR. Another good option to consider would be CCV. It’s upfront cost is higher but it does have 14 more years left than SSR and on a price per point basis is very similar.

These are a sample of current asking prices -

SSR - 150pts - $95pp - with dues = $10.94 per point per year

CCV - 150pts - $135pp - with dues = $11.04 per point per year

BLT - 160pts - $135pp - with dues = $11.04 per point per year

When you break them out this way, there is little difference.

VGF - 220 pts - $154pp - with dues $11.18 per point per year
While this very close to the best SAP pack, it differs because its direct cost is so close that resale isn’t worth it.
Because of how cheap CCV and BLT are I’m considering using them as SAP for bungalow/cabin points to benefit from the longer duration as you’ve demonstrated here lol.

I'm in the "I want to maximize savings" camp

Do the math

Are you willing to take a chance on where you might stay or be at SSR various year because you wanted to save $x

That $x might not be much money either when you consider time left, how much you likely can recoup if you sell the contract when the other expires, or how much MFs possibly can go up by.

Example OKW was a pretty good deal and now its not because of the MFs while SSR is a good deal for now but also has the sprawling resort which can start ticking up the MFs. AKV was a pick a couple years back and also has MFs going up.

Also when you go stay at BLT or VGF or BWV or elsewhere with your SAP points realize you will be getting the more expensive room. If however you bought at those resorts you would be booking the cheaper category various years instead.

Also when you go stay at BLT or VGF or BWV or elsewhere with your SAP points realize you will be getting the more expensive room. If however you bought at those resorts you would be booking the cheaper category various years instead.

Just examples if you travel next summer:

BLT Std vs Lake = 11% savings
BWV Std vs Pref = 21% savings
VGF Std vs Lake = 20% savings

So your SAP math just went out the window when I buy where I want to stay and book a room 10-20% less.

We chose CCV for our SAP's. The number one reason is we love the resort - it's our favorite, so if we get "stuck" there we are perfectly happy with that (and that is not the case for some of the usual SAP options). The upfront price is higher than some, but the main deciding factor for us was the point chart. It's a 2068 resort with a 2042 point chart. We do use our CCV points as SAP's at resorts with higher point charts, but just for short stays. When we're camping out for 9 to 10 days at Christmas, our points go significantly farther at CCV than say VGF or BLT.

One thing to add, in 2042, BWV, BRV, and BCV are all gone for options for your SAP. At least half of OKW will be gone as well.

That leaves at lot of resale SSR, AKV, and OKW points around now competing for the near park resorts of BLT, VGF, CCV, and Poly...making it harder to get those...and, without options in the Epcot area any longer, many of those near park owners may not be trading out to the same degree they are now.

So, I would definitely at least think about this when choosing a home resort. If SSR is truly an okay place to stay if you can't trade, then my vote is for that one!

One thing to add, in 2042, BWV, BRV, and BCV are all gone for options for your SAP. At least half of OKW will be gone as well.

That leaves at lot of resale SSR, AKV, and OKW points around now competing for the near park resorts of BLT, VGF, CCV, and Poly...making it harder to get those...and, without options in the Epcot area any longer, many of those near park owners may not be trading out to the same degree they are now.

So, I would definitely at least think about this when choosing a home resort. If SSR is truly an okay place to stay if you can't trade, then my vote is for that one!
This is why they should buy VGF direct. Can't find a more flexible SAP than buying direct.

This is why they should buy VGF direct. Can't find a more flexible SAP than buying direct.
I guess it depends on your budget. If you have $15,000 to spend and your options are a loaded 150 SSR points resale or 70 VGF points direct (dues being relatively comparable), one might rather opt for more points. All these incentives are great for VGF, but are only attainable at the 150 point plus level…aka a $24k minimum buy in, and you give up the first year of points to get that lowest per point cost.

Last edited:
Just examples if you travel next summer:

BLT Std vs Lake = 11% savings
BWV Std vs Pref = 21% savings
VGF Std vs Lake = 20% savings

So your SAP math just went out the window when I buy where I want to stay and book a room 10-20% less.
That’s fair, but you can only get that benefit at one resort. If your goal is to actually sleep around, you’d still get jammed with the higher priced room on 2 of those 3 when you do.

If you’re doing larger rooms (or are one of those people who actually care about the views), it’s less of an issue too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter