Best Shrimp and Grits on property?

I'm a New Englander and not overly-fond of grits, but the shrimp and grits entree I had for breakfast at Ale&Compass on 12/24/19 was absolutely amazing! They are no longer on the menu and I cannot find the recipe, but they were delicious!
I don’t know their exact recipe (never had them there), but in general, prep them per package instructions but use milk or half and half instead of water, and then (off the heat but still in the pot), add some smoked Gouda (or your fave cheese). Mmmm!!!!

Wow lots of House of Blues votes!! Everyone who responded with House of Blues - it’s looks like there’s 2 versions on the menu, one with regular grits (which I prefer) for brunch and then another with the grit cake for dinner. Are y’all talking about the dinner or brunch version? I’ve had the Boathouse version with a grit cake in the past and didn’t care for it, the grit cake was dry. Is the HoB grit cake on the drier or creamier side?

I'm not saying it's the 'best' but the florida fresh kiosk at flower and garden has a lovely s & g in a small portion if you just feel like a little treat 😊 for the money it's a great nibble.
YES - we loved them, get them every year (when they are there). Loved the texture of the grits and the spice is just right.

Wow lots of House of Blues votes!! Everyone who responded with House of Blues - it’s looks like there’s 2 versions on the menu, one with regular grits (which I prefer) for brunch and then another with the grit cake for dinner. Are y’all talking about the dinner or brunch version? I’ve had the Boathouse version with a grit cake in the past and didn’t care for it, the grit cake was dry. Is the HoB grit cake on the drier or creamier side?
We've had the shrimp and grits at Coral Reef, Hollywood Brown Derby, Flower & Garden Booth and just recently House of Blues. So far, House of Blues is my all time favorite. We had the one that was like a grit cake, out of this world, and the spice was perfection. We LOVED it!

Hi, I've only had the one with the Grit Cake off the regular menu...so yummy and never dry because it is smothered in a delicious, creamy sauce. My dish is always clean when I am done and the last time I ordered since I didn't want to share any of my meal, made my family order another for an appetizer :P And I had some of that one too. Definitely not something I would cook at home so it's a scrumptious indulgence...so good.

I'm not a fan of grits but my wife, who was born & raised in south Louisiana really liked them at the Boathouse in DS.

I didn't know that Shrimp & Grits was on the menu at Oliva's Thanks for passing that along.

South Louisiana girl here and have never tried the Shrimp and Grits at Disney, but one thing I won't do is order them anywhere where they're served over a grit cake - to this grits lover, it's a packy cake and so unappetizing. I make my own with creamy cheese grits and the 'gravy' made with cajun rope sausage and good bacon with a tad of roux. Oh yummy! :tongue:

Surprised there is not more love for Hollywood Brown Derby. It was the best shrimp n grits I've ever had!
We loved them at HBD and would go there just for that but unfortunately they aren't currently on the menu:-( Hoping they bring them back at some point. But, one of my husbands favorite dishes in all of WDW was HBD's fettucine with shrimp. They took it off the menu and it never returned.

I don’t know their exact recipe (never had them there), but in general, prep them per package instructions but use milk or half and half instead of water, and then (off the heat but still in the pot), add some smoked Gouda (or your fave cheese). Mmmm!!!!

When I visited Charleston the first time last year, I finally understood grits.

I asked a restaurant owner for her secret, and she said, "if a recipe has water, it's wrong. Use cream or half and half and butter."
Grits are insanely good, but there's a reason when they are good, and when they are forgettable. The grits I have had in every restaurant in Charleston were amazingly good. The grits I've had in Florida (including EMM at Hollyweird) have all been fantastic. Mississippi and Alabama, too. Up north...you really gotta find a place that knows how to make them, AND is using the correct stone ground product.

We loved them at HBD and would go there just for that but unfortunately they aren't currently on the menu:-( Hoping they bring them back at some point. But, one of my husbands favorite dishes in all of WDW was HBD's fettucine with shrimp. They took it off the menu and it never returned.
Ack! Nooooooo. I have been dreaming about those HBD shrimp. Hope it is seasonal and returns next year.

Ack! Nooooooo. I have been dreaming about those HBD shrimp. Hope it is seasonal and returns next year.
All the menus were downsized due to limited capacity in the parks (I assume) so once everything is back to "normal" (whenever that may be), I'm hoping the regular menu is back!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter