Best snorkel excursion in Cozumel?

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
My son (10) and I are going on a W Caribbean cruise on the Magic next month and I am trying to figure out which excursion would offer the best snorkeling experience. Any feedback is welcome! We are really focused on the snorkeling so other aspects of an excursion aren’t as important and we don’t need to swim with dolphins or have a beach break or anything like that.

We did the El Cielo catamaran two days ago, and it was amazing! A 45-60 minute drift snorkel along a gorgeous reef where we saw lots of fish, a turtle, an eagle ray, etc. And then a 15-30 minute snorkel at a second shallower spot with a bunch of starfish, which were very cool. Great crew, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks included.

We did 3 Reef Snorkel (CZ 46) and it was very disappointing. Very deep water (50+ feet) with random clumps of coral. Boat was over an hour late (not made up on the back end). Not recommended

We did the El Cielo catamaran two days ago, and it was amazing! A 45-60 minute drift snorkel along a gorgeous reef where we saw lots of fish, a turtle, an eagle ray, etc. And then a 15-30 minute snorkel at a second shallower spot with a bunch of starfish, which were very cool. Great crew, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks included.
Thanks, good to hear. So you did the excursion called El Cielo by Catamaran (CZ102) and not the similar one called El Cielo Sandbar and Starfish Snorkeling (CZ105)? They sound really similar but one is shorter and more expensive.

Thanks, good to hear. So you did the excursion called El Cielo by Catamaran (CZ102) and not the similar one called El Cielo Sandbar and Starfish Snorkeling (CZ105)? They sound really similar but one is shorter and more expensive.
It was El Cielo by Catamaran (CZ 102).

My son (10) and I are going on a W Caribbean cruise on the Magic next month and I am trying to figure out which excursion would offer the best snorkeling experience. Any feedback is welcome! We are really focused on the snorkeling so other aspects of an excursion aren’t as important and we don’t need to swim with dolphins or have a beach break or anything like that.
Ultimate Snorkeling by Yacht (CZ00): Do not recommend. Besides the price tag, I didn't think we saw anything that spectacular. The part at sea was very challenging for my son (currently almost 8). At the starfish location, there were hardly any starfish (saw maybe 3). The final stop was actually shallow enough to walk around, but it was just a nice sandy area, no reason to snorkel.

When we go this summer, I'm going to try to find something different to maybe snorkel from the shore.

Ultimate Snorkeling by Yacht (CZ00): Do not recommend. Besides the price tag, I didn't think we saw anything that spectacular. The part at sea was very challenging for my son (currently almost 8). At the starfish location, there were hardly any starfish (saw maybe 3). The final stop was actually shallow enough to walk around, but it was just a nice sandy area, no reason to snorkel.

When we go this summer, I'm going to try to find something different to maybe snorkel from the shore.
Thanks for the feedback. Did your son wear a life jacket while snorkeling? Were the waters/waves rough? I’ve heard a few times recently that there just aren’t many starfish at El Cielo :(

It was El Cielo by Catamaran (CZ 102).
Thanks for the feedback! For El Cielo by Catamaran, was the first snorkel stop in calm water or was the water rough? And did they either require lifejackets or have them available to use while snorkeling? My son is a good swimmer (age 10) but I’ve snorkeled in rough water before myself and know it can be tricky

Thanks for the feedback! For El Cielo by Catamaran, was the first snorkel stop in calm water or was the water rough? And did they either require lifejackets or have them available to use while snorkeling? My son is a good swimmer (age 10) but I’ve snorkeled in rough water before myself and know it can be tricky
The water at the first stop was not rough, but it’s a drift snorkel along the reef, so you float along with the current and the boat follows to pick you up at the end. Snorkeling vests are required, but they also have regular life jackets for those who prefer them. There are three crew in the water keeping an eye on everyone, and two of them have life preservers.

The water at the first stop was not rough, but it’s a drift snorkel along the reef, so you float along with the current and the boat follows to pick you up at the end. Snorkeling vests are required, but they also have regular life jackets for those who prefer them. There are three crew in the water keeping an eye on everyone, and two of them have life preservers.
Thank you! This sounds like what I am looking for ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Did your son wear a life jacket while snorkeling? Were the waters/waves rough? I’ve heard a few times recently that there just aren’t many starfish at El Cielo :(
He wore a life jacket for the first stop because of the drift and then on the second he did not, because we stayed near the boat. It wasn't as rough as some places I've been (e.g., off of St. Thomas) but it was a little wavy./

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter