Best song covers?

I love Dave Matthews "All Along the Watchtower" much more than Bob Dylans version. I like the original but DMB's is just plain awesome!!

Almost every song Dave covers I like better than the original. Some examples are American Tune, If I Had a Boat, Solsbury Hill, and Long Black Veil to name a few.

Another favorite is Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers cover of Wagon Wheel and Cake does a way better version of I will survive than whomever that original chick is but they swear in it so I don't think I can link to it.

I love this song, but I prefer the cover by Smashing Pumpkins. Great songs performed by great artists can carry over into different genres beautifully.

Corgan's version is so much better than the original but I can't stand Stevie Nicks so I may be biased.

I love the cover Lacuna Coil does of Loosing My Religion by R.E.M. Also, they do a great cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence.

Adam Lambert's cover of Tears for Fears "Mad World" . I am a HUGE Tears for Fears fan, but have to admit the remake is much more moving.

I love Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal

I usually prefer the original artist for just about every song. However, every now and then, a remake comes along that is just plain better than the original. One that comes to mind is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt.

To compare, the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDoGmY5kj8

Johnny's version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go&feature=related

Any songs where you prefer a cover version to the original?

That's actually the first one that comes to mind for me too, and I say that as a huge NiN fan who didn't think there could be anything better than Reznor and Bowie doing Hurt together. But Johnny Cash's version, and especially his video, brought an emotional depth and clarity to the song that isn't as potent in the original.

A few others off the top of my head:
Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World over Bowie's.
Nine Inch Nails' Get Down Make Love over Queen's
Alison Krauss's When You Say Nothing At All over Keith Whitley's

I like Sarah Hickman's cover of "Mad World", and the Youngblood's cover of "Wild World" better than Cat Stevens.

I also like Vanilla Fudge's cover of "Keep Me Hanging On" better than the Supremes.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Huey Lewis: Cruisin'
Anne Hathaway: Somebody to Love
my friend's version: I Started a Joke (wish I had some video!)
Janis Joplin: Me and Bobby McGee
Linda Ronstadt: Ooh Baby Baby
Tough decision between Linda Perry and Pink: What's Up
Aerosmith: Come Together

Every song by
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
They only do covers punk rock style. Every type of music is covered. If you like punk and cover songs, give them a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter