• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best split stay

tom1944

DIS Veteran
At least 3 days each resort
At least 4 days each resort
At least 5 days each resort
Any combination works
Don't do it unless you have a car
Would not do a split stay

We love split stays and do it almost every trip. It’s usually 1/ 3 or 2/2.

At least 3 days each resort
At least 4 days each resort
At least 5 days each resort
Any combination works
Don't do it unless you have a car
Would not do a split stay
I like to have at least 2 days. I think a lot depends on what you need to pack up to move! Lol we get groceries so I always find that a bit of a pain so if I’m going to do a split, I will usually save it for the last day or two of our vacation so we’ve eaten/drank a lot of the food :)

We've only done one which was 3/4 from YC to BCV. It was awful, but I take the blame.

We have a triple in Nov - 2 nights BR, 3 nights RIV, 7 nights VGF. I know it's probably shocking, but I will be ready to come home lol.

We've done a lot of split stays. Depends on what parks you'll be focusing on,
I think the best split stay for 3-4 nights would be:
BWV/BCV and a monorail resort--easy access to HS and Epcot, and then easy access to MK

I've very much enjoyed splits with AKL-either Epcot resort and AKL, or a monorail resort and AKL
that said, I think more than 3 days at AKL woud be too much, I'dl probably do a 2 to 3 at AKL and 3-5 elsewhere,

We own at BWV, and our favorite parks are HS and Epcot for festivals, and we want the option of walking to both, so we now always have BWV as part of our split
Splits are also great to just try a new resort. Like I still haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but don't want to commit all my days to it. would prob do 2-3 nights there, and BWV/BCV, etc.

we always have a car, so not sure what it's like to do a split without one

We always do split stays, it's usually 3-4/4-5 nights per resort . Except if only going 2-3 nights for F&W.
We like the splits between, AK since it's our home resort and Riviera, our other home resort. Prior to us buying Riviera, it was BW or BC, to be close to Epcot and HS, plus the boardwalk. We also like CC when we have the grandkids to be close to MK. We usually have our stuff transferred to the other resort, and go to a park while we get our new room.
We will be there next week, and will do 3 nights at Riviera, 4 nights Jambo Concierge, and then back to Riviera for the last 2 nights, since it's my DS's 27th birthday and he wants to spend it at Epcot, of course.

At least 3 nights for us. Less than that feels like you never really "settle in" to the resort.

Like others mentioned above, we like to split the resorts so it gives us an advantage on park access. Our favorite is AKL Jambo + a monorail resort because AKL is so convenient to Animal Kingdom but further away from the other parks.

Love split stays. Normally, a min of 3 or 4, but we have had the occasional 2 night stay depending on the circumstances. Usually prefer no more than 2 resorts per stay.

We always have a car. When we split I will usually do 3 or 4 days in a studio to try out a new resort, followed by a week to 10 days in a tried and true resort villa. In the studio we don't bother with perishable groceries. On moving day, we sleep in and spend a leisurely afternoon at DS and then make a grocery run to stock the kitchen in our second resort. However we are breaking that split stay mold in October with 1 week at a 1 BR villa at VB followed by 5 days in hoighty-toity land (1 bedroom villa at RR).

I prefer to split equally and usually do 4-4-3: one MK resort, one Crescent lake and AKV, so I can stay near to all parks at some time.
This year I'm staying for more days but availability was "wonky" in September, so I'm doing 7 nights at BWV, 4 at CCV (excited, my first time there), 4 at AKV.
When I visit during peak times like marathon week end or early December, I usually stay put at SSR.
I can see how some may prefer to have a car, but really Disney makes it very easy to switch. I leave luggage with Bell Services, go to a park and when I receive the room ready alert I go to the new resort. The annoying part is being without a room in the middle of the day, but the car wouldn't change that.

In general, we don’t like split stays, but we’ll do them if points are limited (such as after a big family trip when we’ve borrowed ahead) or to try out a new resort. After trying 1-, 2- and 3-night splits (out of total 7 night trips) we’ve decided that 3 nights in one place is our minimum. I’m jealous of those who come for 10-14 nights or longer - I’d probably love a 5+5 or 7+7 night split!

I like split stays, involving 2 different resort areas. Also, like a PP said, I like to do a shorter stay first, usually at a newer resort (newer to me), followed by a longer stay at a resort I know I love. That way, if I don't like the first resort , I've got the trusty one to look forward to, and if I do like it, I'll plan for it to be the longer one next time. But on my next trip, I'm trying to decide whether I should do 4-4 or 5-3. Really like both resorts, just don't know if 3 nights is enough, or need 4.

Our preference is at least 3 nights. So no split stay for a 5 night trip.

Next trip we split 4 nites Poly and 3 nights BW. We’ll have a car but plan to monorail to MK & front of EP from Poly, and boat/walk to HS & back of EP from BW. Then we broke our own split stay rule and added 1 night at VGF to the front of the trip :laughing: because we recently bought VGF yet never tried staying there, and flights were considerably cheaper leaving home one day early.

I usually do split stays and always go for 10 days, so it usually works out to 3, 3 and 4. My next is in OCT 3 nights BRV, 3 nights BWV and 4 nights RIV.

I'll have to say, "None of the choices."

We don't like moving resorts so do our arrival night as if a hotel stay, i.e. don't unpack. That's when we try out other resorts.

Then, we move to our longtime favorite resort, VGF/GF for the remainder of a week. We can only go for a week annually.

I doubt we'll ever do a more even split as much as we enjoy settling in. But, we used to say we'd never do split stays....

Just got back from a family reunion and we incorporated different resorts into the mix. 3 resorts was just a bit too much to try and do that (over 12 nights) so the goal in the future with a larger group would be no more than one resort hop or perhaps none.

If it were just my family, we do more than enough Disney on both coasts so for us the adventure of seeing the different resorts and all of that is what we love. For us, 4 night stays and seeing 3 resorts is perfect. Some AKV, MK area, and Epcot/HS area if we can is the dream.

Flying in from my small local airport always involves a layover somewhere mid country, so my travel days in/out are long - minimum 7 hr.s long, usually longer & there’s a 3 hr. time difference, so once I arrive I want one long stay in a favorite resort.
That said I’ve done 2 split stays. A 5 nights @ AKV + 3 nights @ BWV + 3 nights @ VGF when we were deciding where to buy our second contract. And then last year I added on 3 nights in the new VGF resort studios to our already scheduled normal 11 night stay in a 1 br. @ the VGF - that was the easiest split ever - just walked the suitcases over to the original building 😂.

Last edited:
I just finished booking a split stay. 3 nights AKL Kidani, then 4 nights at either BLT or Poly. I was able to book both but not sure which to keep. First time at these resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter