Best store bought spaghetti sauce

I won't buy any jarred sauce that has added sugar as an ingredient. It is unnecessary! So Ragu and Prego are out. Rao's is good but expensive. I buy the Simply Nature organic tomato & basil from Aldi.

Gosh, definitely have to try Rao's after seeing so many votes for it. I've never even heard of it before. Up until now, I've tried a lot of brands but always come back to Prego being my favorite. It's sweet, but probably that's why I like it.

Adding to the masses and saying Rao's! It's probably the best jarred sauce I've ever had. The arribiatta flavor is definitely my favorite and makes a flavorful base for our "Sunday Gravy!" Walmart and target usually carry it for cheaper than the big grocery stores, just an FYI.

Adding to the masses and saying Rao's! It's probably the best jarred sauce I've ever had. The arribiatta flavor is definitely my favorite and makes a flavorful base for our "Sunday Gravy!" Walmart and target usually carry it for cheaper than the big grocery stores, just an FYI.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to call it “Gravy.” :)

Gravy used to be cooked all day and had a base of meat, so like neck bones and the like. It needed time to cook. Sause is without meat and takes about an hour. Thats just how we define it. Your definition and remembrance may differ.

Gravy used to be cooked all day and had a base of meat, so like neck bones and the like. It needed time to cook. Sause is without meat and takes about an hour. Thats just how we define it. Your definition and remembrance may differ.
Marie uses whole canned tomatoes, Italian sausage, neck bones, I think some tomato paste and her 11 secret herbs and spices, all passed down form her mom..

ETA--Oh, and yes, many hours of slowly simmering on the stove, a long time.

Last edited:
After this thread, it inspired me to make pasta for dinner tonight. Super easy. I browned a pound of hamburger, poured a jar of Rao's over it. Boiled some Gnocchi and then poured the meat sauce over that. It was delicious and didn't take any time to make.

After this thread, it inspired me to make pasta for dinner tonight. Super easy. I browned a pound of hamburger, poured a jar of Rao's over it. Boiled some Gnocchi and then poured the meat sauce over that. It was delicious and didn't take any time to make.

Is gnocchi pasta though? I'm sure it's a question that's been asked many times.

Mid's is far and away the best jarred pasta sauce I've ever tasted. I tried Rao's once about ten years back and found it too thin for my liking. My wife agrees that Mid's makes her homemade lasagna and pizza even better. We don't use anything else. About once every few months it's BOGO at Publix and we stock up then.

Haven't tried Newmans, but might give that one a shot.

I'm doing low carb / Keto and am a Rao's fan too. I use there pizza sauce for keto pizza and it's typically one of the most recommended brands because it's carb count is lower than most.

Mid's is far and away the best jarred pasta sauce I've ever tasted. I tried Rao's once about ten years back and found it too thin for my liking. My wife agrees that Mid's makes her homemade lasagna and pizza even better. We don't use anything else. About once every few months it's BOGO at Publix and we stock up then.

Haven't tried Newmans, but might give that one a shot.

What's your favorite Mid's? I love the Italian sausage and peppers!

Rao's is the best! I love how sometimes the sauce will be creamy and other times there's chunks of diced tomatoes. When I would buy it it's only the arrabiata or fra diavolo.

I believe you are correct and what you're describing is what we do. We got the recipe from a NJ Italian chef who put up a YouTube video. We cook our sausage first in the pan and then add in the cooked meatballs (with all the drippings of course!). Then we dump in all of the tomatoes (we use one jar of Rao's along with crushed tomatoes for more flavor and spice), wine, pepperoni and spices. Let it simmer for about 5 hours and the results are delicious!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter