Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

I think honestly if they made Genie+ like where you could pick what time slot you'd like it would be a much better experience. The way it works they fill everything from ASAP to later which then floods the queues much faster. Who knows there might naturally be a lull for Pirates between 11AM-12PM if you could pick your slot. Instead since it gets you next available there are no lulls.
Yes! Along with holding your time for a few minutes while you click through the screens to final purchase. These 2 things would make people a lot happier.

Yes! Along with holding your time for a few minutes while you click through the screens to final purchase. These 2 things would make people a lot happier.

My guess is they can't do the "Hold Time for X Minute" thing because their IT can't figure out who got in first and down the line from there. If 10000 people rush to get the first slot, but there are only 1000 slots left, 9000 people will get pushed back.

I had the same issue happen to me on our trip last week. Tried to get Jungle Cruise exactly at 7, the slot said 7, but by the time I booked it was back to 10:30AM.

I didn’t realize you were judge and jury on how related our concerns have to be to the Ops.

:rolleyes: Okay, let's not get a little too snippy. I never said I was and the sarcasm is uncalled for. The thread was titled specific to 2022, so my question was what has changed between 2022 and 2021. None of those replies were really addressing what I was asking which is a real question. I have been in 2021. This thread promised to tell me that 2022 specifically is different. I want to know what those differences are so I can judge the relevance to me. That is not saying what is relevant to you.

Regarding the cost of DME.... that's right below.

Why are you wanting to turn this conversation into comparing 2022 to 2021? I think the OP was actually referencing how thing are now to pre-pandemic.

But that was my point / question. I came to this thread because OP had said they had been in 2021 and 2022 and this is a new strategy for 2022, but I am missing the relevance. If it's judging pre and post pandemic, then just say that.

...and to the other posters' points about added cost?

Lets talk about how much more I'll pay this year to prior years:
G+ for our 8 night stay is $640 (this used to be free with FP+, and better)
Mears Express is $160 round trip for our family
Magic bands, at the low end, are about $10 each, so another $50.

Add that up and it's $850 additional cost this trip versus how things were prior years (for a lesser experience IMO). When you combine that with the drastically higher resort and ticket costs, it is a large difference.

And that's my point to the other person. If the few extra dollars for mears is the straw that broke the camels back, how are you shrugging off all of the other cost increases? I just don't see DME being that big a deal over the ticket prices, the hotel prices, the Genie+ prices, the food prices, and everything else on top. You're either good with these things, or your not.

I can see why feeling invalidated made you respond in kind, but in my personal opinion, your response was worse. We are all under stress and frustrated with the negative change and cost of vacation, but we could do better with avoiding such sarcasm. And the person who set you off could have been more understanding.

Perhaps I could have phrased it differently, agreed. Thank you for your reply though - I read it and it brought me down a notch from escalating. :) Clearly it was not taken in the way I was trying to say (which again was how is the fee for mears the killing blow (which doesn't even go to Disney) and not the other cost increases which add up to a significant amount more).

I can see why feeling invalidated made you respond in kind, but in my personal opinion, your response was worse.

I don't think anyone can argue that we aren't getting less value for more money.

I agree with the vast majority of your post but Im just not feeling these two parts. Feels kind of like blaming the victim.

Person A posts "I feel taken advantage of/My perception is that I'm not getting value for my money". Another person steps in and then inserts words telling them why person A really shouldn't feel that way and that they are just wrong. Sorry but other people don't have the right to tell me why quantifiable things like feelings about MY wallet post vacation are wrong. Yeah, the response was sarcastic but sarcasm vs "here's why your opinion doesnt matter"... Questionable.

Additionally people have, in fact, been making the argument that we should be arguing that we're actually better off now. Seems to be standard practice these days that when someone posts something that others think is negative they circle the wagons and just start shooting. Someone saying that people should lower their expectations isn't a personal attack on RandomDISboardMember04. The only people that should feel attacked are the people making the decisions that got us here.

Seriously, if people (not you poster) feel like the value is still there, and that the parks are better than ever... Great for you. I'm thrilled for everyone whos happy place is still there for you. It seems pretty apparent at this point between these boards/tripadvisor/social media/whatever that not everyone else feels the same way. I dont think many of the people posting negative opinions are really hoping Disney falls on its face. I certainly don't. I moved halfway across the country so that I could be closer to Disney and just want to see them make different, arguably better, choices.

Last edited:
I've been saying comments like for the last 6 years. People here argue "yeah but it's not WDW."

🏝 I say to those people, you are right, It is NOT even close! Tahiti is a far more superior destination! And my honeymoon stay on Moorea (Tahitian Island with view of the Island of Tahiti) in an overwater bungalow was 23 years ago… and we would go back in a heartbeat if we realized it was still affordable! But looking at this post and our dollars spent, I think our Thanksgiving trip staying at Riviera for nine nights rack right plus park tix, expensive extras alluded to here with G+/ILL and special events/ meals plus flights would’ve easily gotten us a comparably expensive but less stressful trip back to paradise if we were not in a global pandemic.

Just sooooo Bummed that my Happy Place is losing its luster.

I LOVE Disney. Its so deeply integrated into my childhood memories. I've loved bringing that same magic to my children's childhood- but I am so sad.

The changes being made are disgraceful at this point. We stayed at the YC in July and being told that they cannot remove the trash full of dirty diapers or wipe down the counter that was sticky upon arrival on a 5 night stay that cost upwards of 700 a night on the grounds that its for "health and safety" is absurd. Having festering trash sit for days in a less than 400 sq ft room is not good for "health and safety". This is all while the room costs are skyrocketing. I remember thinking 400+ was expensive for a room just a few years ago. I hate how quickly I've accepted and adjusted to prices over double this. Loving Disney for the nostalgia and giving my kids the experience is what keeps us coming back.

The Nickle and diming is out of control. I was upset when they started charging for parking at resorts- to me this was the first sign of what was to come. My mother said "its only a few dollars a day..." but now everything is "only a few dollars a day" and suddenly a trip is costing hundreds, if not thousands more than it was just a few years ago.

I hate how quickly I've accepted and adjusted to prices over double this. Loving Disney for the nostalgia and giving my kids the experience is what keeps us coming back.

The Nickle and diming is out of control. I was upset when they started charging for parking at resorts- to me this was the first sign of what was to come. My mother said "its only a few dollars a day..." but now everything is "only a few dollars a day" and suddenly a trip is costing hundreds, if not thousands more than it was just a few years ago.

For our family of 5 it is definitely thousands, not hundreds. We had been staying 10 night the last few trips, but cut back to 8 nights to get comparable cost. There is only so much I'm willing to pay for a vacation. Problem is, I'm paying the same for 20% less time on vacation, for a lesser experience each day. No Park hoppers this time , and FP+ was so far superior to G+, ILL.

Moderate resorts are at the price where deluxe used to be.

I think people will pay the increased prices for a while, until they find out it's not worth it anymore, and then the park numbers will start to suffer. I predict a slow negative attendance drain over the course of a few years that Disney will be hard pressed to fix without serious discounts/offers again. We'll see I guess, I could easily be wrong.

Dan

Yup - and I've posted many similar posts. The parks have added a great deal of cost while taking away flexibility and adding stress. That is what so many people fail to grasp. If Disney just charged for the FP+ system, I'd shrug and say fine - it's basically just a ticket price increase in another form. But they did that while breaking the system. Making people wake up every day at 7 rather than having to do it once in advance. Not letting people choose ride times screwing over anyone who might want to take breaks or not be at the park all day. Even charging people for a ride and then changing the ride time on them and making them have to waste time to go to guest services if the newly assigned time doesn't work. The only complaint I heard about FP+ was it was annoying to have to plan three rides you wanted to do 30 or 60 days in advance . . . I mean really. . . . you couldn't think of 3 rides in a park you wanted to do or pick a general time frame? Instead now you have to plan your park even more months in advance and then start planning your day at 7am each morning unless you resign yourself to not getting LL for the popular rides and being stuck with times assigned throughout the day for other rides. I cannot think of a single situation where there is less stress now. And the sad part is - this is intentional. It's not a flaw of the system - Chapek considers it a feature. I have NEVER in 20 years seen as much dissatisfaction among the Disney community to changes. The only thing that comes close was a 15-20 years ago when they basically gave up on the parks and imagineering before new management came in to revitalize them.

I agree with the vast majority of your post but Im just not feeling these two parts. Feels kind of like blaming the victim.

And I respect your take on the exchange. Here's mine

1. Tig makes a point
2. Bridget responds talking about 2020 and 2022 and genie
3. Tig debates further "In fact, with the return of the parades, bigger calvacades, and more attractions opening up, the parks are getting BETTER than they were in 2021 or 2020 with the exception of the increased crowds - which again if you didn't see that coming, I don't know what to tell you."

I took "I don't know what to tell you as a speech habit of Tig's. They repeat it again later. It is possible to interpret that as "you are blind", but I see it as a "shrug or "I don't how to make my point". In any case, nothing mean spirited. If it was, they should apologize.

4. Tink jumps in and lists (her?) case of all the things that are now gone. Turksmom suggests to Tig that they can't leave the effect of Genie+ out of it.

5. Tig disagrees and makes more points, debating in a fair way. IMO, Tig makes a debate error opening up a counter argument re: magical express...

6. Tink catches it and reminds him that Magical Express is not the same as Mears now, it was free then.

2. Tig responds "If having to pay a few extra dollars to get from MCO to the hotel qualifies as such a significant step for you in 2022 vs 2021 that it's a trip ruiner, then I don't know what to tell you - there are a lot bigger fish to fry in that bucket.
But in any case, that's not what the OP was talking about. They were referring to what they can get done in the park and how they can't do the things they used to do. I.E. plan to only do 3 rides a day compared to the entire park by 11am. "

This seems to be that figure of speech again like "know what I mean?". Can you read that as flippant? Condescending? Invalidating? Maybe, but that was not my interpretation. Taking the entire message in context, I took it as saying they thought the bus was minor considering some of the other changes. But even it it was dismissive, I feel the response was worse. Tink unleashes with a 1,2,3,4 punch of passive-aggressive sarcasm:

"I didn’t realize you were judge and jury on how related our concerns have to be to the Ops. Thank goodness you are here to dictate who should be upset and about what. I guess you’re right, me not wanting to spend a few hundred extra dollars on transportation that was free is ridiculous. I guess I forgot I have money coming out of my ears."

I know we are all human and can quickly revert to our 4 year old hurt kid on the playground, but when we have time to actually breathe and think before posting, it would seem we could temper our response. I'm not faulting Tink either, if we are all "friends" here, we may ruffle each other a bit, but I hope we can make it up with apologies, respect, and acknowledging each other.

I thought it was a good debate. I am on the side of things are slowly getting to be where the value of Disney is not worth the money. I agree with much of what Tink had to say. I liked some of the arguments Tig made to have me see the other side. It isn't all bad. There is a lot to still enjoy. I wonder what it is like for first-timers who either have nothing to compare it to or are comparing it to a smaller amusement park or experience near them.

Last edited:
Here is my question though.

If you leave Genie+ out of the picture (you don't HAVE to buy it), since FP+ did not exist in most of 2021, how is going now DIFFERNET than it was in 2021? I mean, there are more crowds - of course. <shrug> Did we think Disney was going to get LESS crowded than it was in 2021 or 2020?

In fact, with the return of the parades, bigger calvacades, and more attractions opening up, the parks are getting BETTER than they were in 2021 or 2020 with the exception of the increased crowds - which again if you didn't see that coming, I don't know what to tell you. Again, leaving the OPTIONAL purchase of Genie+ out of it.

I stand by my original point. This isn't a 2022 thing. It's a jab (again) at Genie+ vs FP+. Which is fine, but call it what it is. You thread should be "yet another Genie+ complaint".
The standby lines are going to much longer now. I personally don't care for either system.

1. Tig makes a point
3. Tig debates further "In fact, with the return of the parades, bigger calvacades, and more attractions opening up, the parks are getting BETTER than they were in 2021 or 2020 with the exception of the increased crowds - which again if you didn't see that coming, I don't know what to tell you."

I took "I don't know what to tell you as a speech habit of Tig's. They repeat it again later. It is possible to interpret that as "you are blind", but I see it as a "shrug or "I don't how to make my point". In any case, nothing mean spirited. If it was, they should apologize.

4. Tink jumps in and lists (her?) case of all the things that are now gone. Turksmom suggests to Tig that they can't leave the effect of Genie+ out of it.

5. Tig disagrees and makes more points, debating in a fair way. IMO, Tig makes a debate error opening up a counter argument re: magical express...

6. Tink catches it and reminds him that Magical Express is not the same as Mears now, it was free then.

2. Tig responds "If having to pay a few extra dollars to get from MCO to the hotel qualifies as such a significant step for you in 2022 vs 2021 that it's a trip ruiner, then I don't know what to tell you - there are a lot bigger fish to fry in that bucket.
But in any case, that's not what the OP was talking about. They were referring to what they can get done in the park and how they can't do the things they used to do. I.E. plan to only do 3 rides a day compared to the entire park by 11am. "

This seems to be that figure of speech again like "know what I mean?". Can you read that as flippant? Condescending? Invalidating? Maybe, but that was not my interpretation. Taking the entire message in context, I took it as saying they thought the bus was minor considering some of the other changes. But even it it was dismissive, I feel the response was worse. Tink unleashes with a 1,2,3,4 punch of passive-aggressive sarcasm:

"I didn’t realize you were judge and jury on how related our concerns have to be to the Ops. Thank goodness you are here to dictate who should be upset and about what. I guess you’re right, me not wanting to spend a few hundred extra dollars on transportation that was free is ridiculous. I guess I forgot I have money coming out of my ears."

I know we are all human and can quickly revert to our 4 year old hurt kid on the playground, but when we have time to actually breathe and think before posting, it would seem we could temper our response. I'm not faulting Tink either, if we are all "friends" here, we may ruffle each other a bit, but I hope we can make it up with apologies, respect, and acknowledging each other.

I thought it was a good debate. I am on the side of things are slowly getting to be where the value of Disney is not worth the money. I agree with much of what Tink had to say. I liked some of the arguments Tig made to have me see the other side. It isn't all bad. There is a lot to still enjoy. I wonder what it is like for first-timers who either have nothing to compare it to or are comparing it to a smaller amusement part or experience near them.
Except the original poster was not just talking about comparing this years trip to 2020 or 2021. 2020 and 2021 trips are mentioned, but previous to that the poster mentions going to Disney for many, many years and the old days and FP+. Nothing in the title suggests this is a comparison of 2022 vs 2021. I read old days as pre-pandemic and that’s why people are adding up all of the service/perk/entertainment cuts coupled with cost increases of “the old days” vs. now.

I thought it was a good debate. I am on the side of things are slowly getting to be where the value of Disney is not worth the money. I agree with much of what Tink had to say. I liked some of the arguments Tig made to have me see the other side. It isn't all bad. There is a lot to still enjoy. I wonder what it is like for first-timers who either have nothing to compare it to or are comparing it to a smaller amusement part or experience near them.

I think the fundamental difference in opinion here is that I don't view personal perceptions, like value for money or worth as being things that are fair game for debate. You seem to be looking at the exchange as a debate. I get that but disagree. To me, people are just expressing opinions and experiences and not looking for other people to step in and change their mind. OP was suggesting that it's a valid strategy to lower the bar and not compare to pre pandemic Disney. Not that it matters but I 100% agree with that statement. If you're still willing to spend the money and can lower your expectations from prior trips then I truly believe that you can still have a good vacation.

If somebody tells me that something was more expensive and that they don't feel they're getting what they used to then for me to step in and pick apart their posts point by point and trying to counterpoint each with why they're incorrect, or why they shouldn't be upset about it, is ultimately only going to result in hurt feelings. Especially when there are easily misconstrued statements nestled in with those counterpoints like, "I dont know what to tell you." I find it unlikely that you're ever going to see a follow-up, "You know what you changed my mind. We really should raise our expectations because stuff is just better now" result from that sort of thing. Not on this internet.

Like I said before, I'm happy for everyone who thinks things are going well. They are just as welcome to post their thoughts as anyone else. If people are happy with things then they should consider posting why they're happy with things, not why people who aren't should be. Same goes for the other way around. People should be able to have opinions on their feelings without people of opposing viewpoints feeling like they need to win the internet by proving them wrong.

I really do agree with the bulk of what you're saying, especially the "we should try harder to just get along" thing.

1. Tig makes a point

The original post was about many things. Having lowered expectations surrounding the park experience and the value of your dollar in current times at Disney. Tigger tried to discount anyones point that they could not “disprove” or argue by saying it doesn’t relate to the original post. Then tigger proceeds to very rudely speak down to those of us who can’t afford hundreds of extra dollars per trips on things that are apparently chump change for them. It was very condescending and dismissive despite how innocent and dumb they tried to play in their follow up response. No one on here likes being made to feel bad like how Tigger is doing. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

I was planning to book an Uber XL, but 4 people plus suitcases might exceed available space.

Ahhh, I totally understand. I can share that our family has had horrible experiences trying to use Uber and Lyft at major airports i.e. long waits. I know millions of people are successful every day, but not us! Our solution? We walk over to the taxi line, tell the lead person we want a van, not a sedan, they call one over if there isn't one in the line, we load up and are on our way! Good luck to you!

Thanks to everybody. I don't know about you, but I find it to be a good discussion. But sometimes I will have a discussion with my wife, validate her, find a point where I think we are agreeing or compromising and feel I gave her what she has said she needs in our relationship only to find out she is more upset than before ;)

I certainly understand a budget. I have had times when money was no object and times when I had to forego in my business life. Even those with 2 income dual 6 figure incomes can spend up to their means. My last girl (of 3) goes to college next year. I think about family of 5 like mine and wonder how many will never be able to take a vacation like many of us here do. Do people go anyway, charge it, and pay it off with interest? Save up and only go "once in a lifetime"? Stay in a $100 a night hotel, drive to the park, and go out to the parking lot to the car for lunch? Someone probably has figures, but I'm guessing a family of 5 would spend $600-$1000 a day if they stay at a value resort and watch what they eat and don't buy souvenirs. How many middle class working families or families with one working parent and one stay at home can afford that for a week? I figure Disney doesn't care. They look at the numbers and realize that wealthy travelers from all over the world want to visit and they don't really need to cater to what they must consider a lower per cap revenue deal. So they focus on upgrade experiences and pass holder who spend more per cap.

On a side note, what would be funny is if we all planned a Tahiti meetup vacation ;)

You can see in my signature that I have been to Disney many times.

I even made my second trip on my current Annual Pass and was at Bay Lake Tower and then Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House just a few days ago.

If you are going in 2022 you need to lower your expectations a lot.

I have used Touring Plans and been a rope dropper for many, many years.

I was often able to get 90 percent of my rides/shows done by lunchtime .....and wrapped up each day with a feeling of joy and happiness.

I was able to ride some rides more than once each day and sometimes would hop to a second or third park if I wanted to........I felt free as a bird.

This is not the case anymore.

For the moment, let's put aside the huge cost of resorts, food/beverage, Genie+, and ILL.

Even if G+ were free, it is an inferior product to FP+.

I can even accept the Park Pass requirement for the first park of the day, but park hopping at 2pm it like hitting my kneecaps with a baseball bat.

In the old days, I would often rope drop park number 1 and then hop to park number 2 sometime in the morning.

The present system makes each day feel like we have a national speed limit of 55 again and I am driving around with my parking brake engaged.

If we had little ones in our group, the focus of a typical day would be very different.....even only doing 3 or 4 rides with a child/grandchild, the day's enjoyment is derived from seeing the little ones have a wonderful day.

For years, I tried to maximize the number of days I could be at WDW with my AP.

I would stay off site and on site.

These days, it is not so much that the on site folks have a huge advantage compared to the past.......it is that the off site people barely get adequate leftovers by the time they can enter the park and/or buy ILL rides.

I have trips planned for April/May/Sept/Oct on this AP. (I do not like the super hot months)

I am not going to focus on max days at Disney this year.

I went in Dec 2021, Jan 2022 and have a trip with our daughter (a teacher) over the President's Day weekend.

I will have been 3 times on this AP.......I feel I have broken even on the cost.

I will be cancelling the rest of the trips I had on the books for later this year.

That money and time will be spent elsewhere.

Although some of the environment has been impacted by Covid...... a large part of the reduced experience is due to decisions made by management.

Now......I have not said much about the nickel and diming that really adds up now.

At a value resort, a couple on a trip has to pay an extra $47 each day just to park and use Genie+.

When you add the impact of a diminished experience with the very high cost, the value of the experience has been greatly reduced.

Look......I am a Disney fan.

Disney, Coke, a Big Mac, are all part of a truly American experience. I can not imagine life as we know it if they were to all disappear.

Disney has very good customer service.....if the IT situation was not so mediocre, I would say Disney has some of the best customer service of any company.

However, at this time, the overall experience requires a lot of money, a lot a planning, and each day has a lot of chaos caused by the unpredictability of getting a LL or ILL,........and to be under the gun to compete at 7am for a seat on a ride is not relaxing or enjoyable.
And having my face buried in the phone a good part of the day does not add to my enjoyment either.

I composed this because I saw some small headlines about Disney guests not being really thrilled right now.....I thought I may have been the only one that felt this way.......but there is now a bit of rumbling going on........and social media has the ability to provide us to look at the good and the bad comments.

The experience has changed for the worse.

They better improve it substantially and quickly.

I think many of the 2022 visitors may be so unhappy, they may not return or postpone future trips.

In a way, Disney has messed up my Happy Place................and I am a bit sad about that.

I haven't experienced Genie+ and I don't feel any reason to fork over more $. Disney had me "married for life". Now, I see the rest of the world is out there to visit. I want one more trip with myGS but I think it may be my last.

Thanks to everybody. I don't know about you, but I find it to be a good discussion. But sometimes I will have a discussion with my wife, validate her, find a point where I think we are agreeing or compromising and feel I gave her what she has said she needs in our relationship only to find out she is more upset than before ;)

I certainly understand a budget. I have had times when money was no object and times when I had to forego in my business life. Even those with 2 income dual 6 figure incomes can spend up to their means. My last girl (of 3) goes to college next year. I think about family of 5 like mine and wonder how many will never be able to take a vacation like many of us here do. Do people go anyway, charge it, and pay it off with interest? Save up and only go "once in a lifetime"? Stay in a $100 a night hotel, drive to the park, and go out to the parking lot to the car for lunch? Someone probably has figures, but I'm guessing a family of 5 would spend $600-$1000 a day if they stay at a value resort and watch what they eat and don't buy souvenirs. How many middle class working families or families with one working parent and one stay at home can afford that for a week? I figure Disney doesn't care. They look at the numbers and realize that wealthy travelers from all over the world want to visit and they don't really need to cater to what they must consider a lower per cap revenue deal. So they focus on upgrade experiences and pass holder who spend more per cap.

On a side note, what would be funny is if we all planned a Tahiti meetup vacation ;)
You got me thinking. How much has our cost per night gone up in the last decade?

Here's our numbers. This is all in. Flights, food, tickets, lodging (We always stay onsite and eat on property. No rental car). Family of 5

As you can see, the last two years have taken a HUGE jump, especially this year due to G+ and loss of Magical Express (those combined are a $800 hit).

Before you blame the big jump in the last two years on staying Deluxe, it's not true. We've rented DVC points both times which actually got us UNDER moderate resort costs. The big adders are the ticket, resort, and food prices overall. (and this year the additional G+ and Mears Express)

-Dan
Cost per nightNumber of nightsResort levelOffersTicket Type
2010 $ 5717ValueFree DiningBasic
2011 $ 5408ValueFree DiningBasic
2012 $ 6288ModerateFree DiningBasic
2013 $ 6189ModerateFree DiningBasic
2015 $ 7198ModerateFree DiningPH and Water Park
2016 $ 7929ModerateResort DiscountWater Park
2018 $ 76010ValueFree QSPH and Water Park
2021 $ 94610Deluxe*NonePark Hopper
2022 $ 1,1018Deluxe*NoneBasic

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter