Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

The neat thing was there were things I was sure I would miss (luggage transfer, dining plan) and I found for us I didn’t miss either and actually preferred our trip without those.

Were there things we missed? For sure but, not enough to override the good.

You know, after the pandemic started, I was really, really upset about DME. I ended up using a limo service. I pay for that service - and it's not free. HOWEVER, even if Disney brought DME back right now in it's complete entirety including luggage and they improved it - say luggage showed up before you did. Heck, lets say they even gave me a $20 gift card for using DME, I still wouldn't go back. I love the limo service that much.

I have not used a dining plan in YEARS. Stopped using that about 6 or 7 years ago I think. My eating is too haphazard to work with credits.

The only place my "high expectations" have failed me is Disney tbh. My expectations are being able to get on the rides so I don't think they're very high. Its the most important thing to us, and the one thing they seem bent on making nigh impossible, even if you throw gobs of money at it. :confused3

Think I'm kidding..? How many times on the boards do you hear the term 'managed', 'snagged', 'scored' etc. We shouldn't have to stand on one leg at dawn and squint a little after a few shots of caffeine to hype us up to find the fun. Either I still manage to have fun on our next trip or I don't, it's as simple as that for us. If we don't, then they'd have to find a way to coax us back to WDW. If I'm going to just wander around eating snacks and enjoy the atmosphere then Tokyo has the best parks for us hands down, and DL is far easier to get to as well.

Frankly, if I have to be "determined" to have a good time and have to psych myself up for a trip then I should just stay home or spend my money on something that truly incites happiness. No place is worth your loyalty if it comes at such a cost.

I could turn that around and say if you go ANYWHERE expecting to have a bad time, you really should just stay home. If you go to Spain and you read all the bad posts about traveling to Spain (and there are PLENTY) and ready yourself to be miserable, then just don't go on vacation at all.

YES - you are completely correct. If you believe that going to a bustling, popular park and and waiting in line for your turn and spending money to buy things and being nice to other people is upsetting to you, then Disney is most definitely not the place for you right now. Actually, Theme Parks in general might not be your thing. News flash.... Universal also has long lines and charges - get this - significantly more than Genie+. Example - Gringots - 90 minutes. Hogwarts Express - 85 minutes. Simpsons - 65 minutes. MIB - 60 minutes).

Save yourself a ton of cash and just go to a local park and throw Frisbees.

This.
I would also suspect that if you feel you have to psych yourself up then you’ve already answered the question… you don’t expect to have a great time.
Definitely not true, in my case. I am setting my expectations for "different and more expensive" than other trips. That is different than psyching myself up. I am not telling myself that a pile of dung is actually a delicious, juicy hamburger. I have already said that I am committed to our upcoming trip because others are involved and counting on us. I have said I am unhappy with what I am having to spend and don't see myself frequenting WDW from here on out the way we have in the past (40+ trips). I am just grateful others have helped prepare me for the changes and I can adjust. I mentioned that we reset our expectations in Dec. 2020 and genuinely had a wonderful time. I am not daily "lying" to myself, trying to convince myself that we had a great time. Do I plan on continuing to reset my expectations and pay for the privilege of doing so? No!

I totally agree.
I am on my phone and computer throughout the day, for work. I want to put my phone away and not even look at it, while I'm away. Disney use to be calm and relaxing, and to just go with the flow. Do whatever you feel like at any given time. Too much planning and schedules to be a fun, magical vacation.

We visited Jan 29-Feb 5 for the first time in 2 1/2 years after previously visiting 20+ times in 8 years.

went in with the expectation that things would be different than before and they were.

I find in most situations in life if I go in with high expectations I will be disappointed so over the years have changed my thought process re: vacations to it being a new adventure and let’s see what the adventure holds. Some new things, some repeats and yes, some things we miss from the last.
Were there things we missed? For sure but, not enough to override the good.

The neat thing was there were things I was sure I would miss (luggage transfer, dining plan) and I found for us I didn’t miss either and actually preferred our trip without those.

Our expectations? Have fun and make new memories. Mission accomplished!

This!

We are booked for November. We haven’t been since November 2018. I purposely booked our next trip for this November to give Disney time to get back to as normal as possible.

I haven’t had to psych myself up. I’m not one of those people who lets others opinions of situations get to my head. I like to experience things for myself and have my own opinion on it so I’m actually a bit excited to try out G+ and have my own car service instead of DME. It’s something different and I do well with change.

I’m also looking at this trip as valuable time with my teenage daughter. In a couple years she’ll be off to college and then onto her own life. I’m just trying to create awesome memories we can cherish forever. I truly believe we will accomplish that.

Last edited:
The more I read of this thread, the more irritated I am with the decision-makers ruining WDW.

WDW has never been relaxing for my family, especially me, the planner. Trying to figure out the least crowded days in each park; booking ADR’s some of which were difficult if not impossible to get; getting up at the crack of dawn to get everyone’s precious Fastpasses; designing the schedule, etc., was work. Getting around WDW before we could afford deluxe and finally didn’t have to use busses anymore was a lot. All day in the parks became too much for us, so we now only go in the morning at rope drop until lunch. The rest of the day is spent relaxing at the pool. Spending so much on park tickets for just a half day definitely stings, but it’s the only way we enjoy WDW. Genie+ would not work for us getting only one ride, so that’s a no go.

Once we went to Disneyland and didn’t have to do ANY of the crazy planning and discovering how easy it is to walk anywhere you want to go, I didn’t care if we ever returned to WDW again. Unfortunately, DD loves WDW, so I am bound to go back eventually for her wedding and then with grandchildren.

If it was up to me, I wouldn’t bother to return. I would however book another trip to Disneyland where Walt Disney’s magic is still felt.

Definitely not true, in my case. I am setting my expectations for "different and more expensive" than other trips. That is different than psyching myself up. I am not telling myself that a pile of dung is actually a delicious, juicy hamburger. I have already said that I am committed to our upcoming trip because others are involved and counting on us. I have said I am unhappy with what I am having to spend and don't see myself frequenting WDW from here on out the way we have in the past (40+ trips). I am just grateful others have helped prepare me for the changes and I can adjust. I mentioned that we reset our expectations in Dec. 2020 and genuinely had a wonderful time. I am not daily "lying" to myself, trying to convince myself that we had a great time. Do I plan on continuing to reset my expectations and pay for the privilege of doing so? No!

I think we're actually agreeing here...

I was commenting specifically on the idea of pysching myself up for a trip ... I would only use that if I was going somewhere for the benefit of others. I don't love camping but my family does so I psych myself up for those weekends and make the best of it but I don't have a GREAT time. Luckily, camping is cheap so it's worth it to me to have a decent time. If I only had a decent time on an expensive vacation I would have to rethink.

I am on my phone and computer throughout the day, for work. I want to put my phone away and not even look at it, while I'm away. Disney use to be calm and relaxing, and to just go with the flow. Do whatever you feel like at any given time. Too much planning and schedules to be a fun, magical vacation.

I think Disney has really missed the boat on this point. And I'll say, this doesn't bother me. Since 2016 when I started taking my kid to Disney I have noticed that my smartphone needs lots of extra charges throughout the day. It's just part of any visit to an amusement park that has become normal to me but that is NOT what Disney used to be like so it's turning off a lot of their loyal customers. Technology is great and can be really helpful but when it becomes necessary to have an efficient and enjoyable park day then I think that's a failure.

I totally agree.

I have noticed that my smartphone needs lots of extra charges throughout the day. It's just part of any visit to an amusement park that has become normal to me but that is NOT what Disney used to be like so it's turning off a lot of their loyal customers. Technology is great and can be really helpful but when it becomes necessary to have an efficient and enjoyable park day then I think that's a failure.

I actually do not disagree, but I spend way to much of my waking life thinking about this and I bet Disney does, too. What exactly is the solution to this? The problem here ISN'T Disney. It's the SUCCESS of Disney. Disney is providing these utilities so that you have a hope to being able to do some of the things you want to do because there are so many people at Disney.

Option 1: Remove all pre-planning activities. You can only ride on what lines you get in (like during 2020/2021). No ADR's. No FastPasses. No Lightening Lanes. ZIPiddy-doo-dah. We HAD that (personally, I liked it). The boards were complaining at ridiculously high levels to bring back some form of skip the line (which means cell phone). And if there were no ADR's..... WHEW_WEE! Imagine the complaints!

Option 2: Raise costs to lower the crowds so that wait times would be reasonable. 'nuff said. I can already hear the board reaction.

what else? How do you solve the problem of having to plan and still let people be able to do things?

The more I read of this thread, the more irritated I am with the decision-makers ruining WDW.

WDW has never been relaxing for my family, especially me, the planner. Trying to figure out the least crowded days in each park; booking ADR’s some of which were difficult if not impossible to get; getting up at the crack of dawn to get everyone’s precious Fastpasses; designing the schedule, etc., was work. Getting around WDW before we could afford deluxe and finally didn’t have to use busses anymore was a lot. All day in the parks became too much for us, so we now only go in the morning at rope drop until lunch. The rest of the day is spent relaxing at the pool. Spending so much on park tickets for just a half day definitely stings, but it’s the only way we enjoy WDW. Genie+ would not work for us getting only one ride, so that’s a no go.

Once we went to Disneyland and didn’t have to do ANY of the crazy planning and discovering how easy it is to walk anywhere you want to go, I didn’t care if we ever returned to WDW again. Unfortunately, DD loves WDW, so I am bound to go back eventually for her wedding and then with grandchildren.

If it was up to me, I wouldn’t bother to return. I would however book another trip to Disneyland where Walt Disney’s magic is still felt.

I’ve planned all our trips, at one point in Magic Kingdom the kids said “what’s next” I said I have no idea, I was lost and frustrated.

I would much rather be forewarned and adjust expectations accordingly rather than obliviously thinking that nothing has changed since our last WDW trip.

In the former situation, I may well be pleasantly surprised. In the latter situation, I risk having my always carefully planned-out itinerary smashed to smithereens.

The only place my "high expectations" have failed me is Disney tbh. My expectations are being able to get on the rides so I don't think they're very high. Its the most important thing to us, and the one thing they seem bent on making nigh impossible, even if you throw gobs of money at it. :confused3

Think I'm kidding..? How many times on the boards do you hear the term 'managed', 'snagged', 'scored' etc. We shouldn't have to stand on one leg at dawn and squint a little after a few shots of caffeine to hype us up to find the fun. Either I still manage to have fun on our next trip or I don't, it's as simple as that for us. If we don't, then they'd have to find a way to coax us back to WDW. If I'm going to just wander around eating snacks and enjoy the atmosphere then Tokyo has the best parks for us hands down, and DL is far easier to get to as well.
I'm with ya. My kids keep saying well you are in FL and it's sunny. So many other trips could be planned. I tried to throw money at the problem but instead I sat at the pool all day today because they only allowed you to buy 2 rides. Our trip to Paris was cheaper, If I'm just going someplace warm there are other places.. I guess I need to sell my DVC points for other locales.. sorry Disney.

I think you are mistaken about 7 AM for off site visitors.
At 7AM both onsite and offsite guests may book their first G+ LL.

At 7AM, only onsite guests may purchase ILL$.
Just to confirm. The 30 minutes early is only for those staying in Deluxe Resorts and not the Moderates, Value Resorts or Campground?
This is incorrect. ETPE is for all Disney resort guests plus select other resorts.

I actually do not disagree, but I spend way to much of my waking life thinking about this and I bet Disney does, too. What exactly is the solution to this? The problem here ISN'T Disney. It's the SUCCESS of Disney. Disney is providing these utilities so that you have a hope to being able to do some of the things you want to do because there are so many people at Disney.

Option 1: Remove all pre-planning activities. You can only ride on what lines you get in (like during 2020/2021). No ADR's. No FastPasses. No Lightening Lanes. ZIPiddy-doo-dah. We HAD that (personally, I liked it). The boards were complaining at ridiculously high levels to bring back some form of skip the line (which means cell phone). And if there were no ADR's..... WHEW_WEE! Imagine the complaints!

Option 2: Raise costs to lower the crowds so that wait times would be reasonable. 'nuff said. I can already hear the board reaction.

what else? How do you solve the problem of having to plan and still let people be able to do things?
Option 3 is that they limit park entry to the point where waits are not consistently longer than, say 60 minutes. Would this essentially be the same as your option 2 because they’d just raise the prices to make up for smaller crowds? Maybe. Probably.
In addition, as an several-time parkgoer, but not expert like many here, the rants about the amount of planning required to get a reasonable experience really resonates. The expert parkgoers are accustomed to doing all the research, being available down to the minute for advance reservations and then at the parks, knowing how to manage all that on the app-
A previous poster is right on - it takes a ton of work to get a good amount of rides and experiences in for the money, and even with pre-planning, you’re on your phone after every ride and zigzagging across the park. It’s like the Amazing Race.

Yes, I think there is no way to get rid of the pre-planning online activities but those can be done from a computer. I think the lament is that we can't pre-book fast passes anymore and I think you can only use the MDE app to book G+ so going to Disney without a smartphone isn't really an option anymore. At least not efficiently.

We just got back from a 3 night stay in a poly studio. This is the first trip we’ve ever been so excited to drive home. The crowds and standby lines were insane and genie+/LL makes standby SO slow. We had lots of monorail issues to both MK and Epcot from the poly and TTC. Our passes expire in May and I’m not sure we’ll even use them again even though we only live an hour away. If crowds don’t thin out at all we most likely will let them expire. I never thought we would be in this position. Our ds is only 21 months and he talks about Disney all the time but this trip was not magical for any of us.
Oh no, I have a first trip at Poly in April and this makes me so nervous! It’s so expensive! So the monorail is unreliable?? How’s the resort?

You know, after the pandemic started, I was really, really upset about DME. I ended up using a limo service. I pay for that service - and it's not free. HOWEVER, even if Disney brought DME back right now in it's complete entirety including luggage and they improved it - say luggage showed up before you did. Heck, lets say they even gave me a $20 gift card for using DME, I still wouldn't go back. I love the limo service that much.

I have not used a dining plan in YEARS. Stopped using that about 6 or 7 years ago I think. My eating is too haphazard to work with credits.
What limo service did you use?

I could turn that around and say if you go ANYWHERE expecting to have a bad time, you really should just stay home. If you go to Spain and you read all the bad posts about traveling to Spain (and there are PLENTY) and ready yourself to be miserable, then just don't go on vacation at all.

YES - you are completely correct. If you believe that going to a bustling, popular park and and waiting in line for your turn and spending money to buy things and being nice to other people is upsetting to you, then Disney is most definitely not the place for you right now. Actually, Theme Parks in general might not be your thing. News flash.... Universal also has long lines and charges - get this - significantly more than Genie+. Example - Gringots - 90 minutes. Hogwarts Express - 85 minutes. Simpsons - 65 minutes. MIB - 60 minutes).

Save yourself a ton of cash and just go to a local park and throw Frisbees.
See the problem is..previously you could book your 3 favorite rides, plan you day around it and if you wanted to stand in a 60 mins line you could decide to do it. or not..up to you..but you got 3 rides in and you felt good about the money you just spent. Now wipe out those plans.. You need to spend more just to get 1 of those rides in.. maybe 2.. and if you spend $15 per head at 7AM you can choose 1 ride..but by the time you ride it..opps no more availability today. you'll need to wait 60-90, 180 mins to go on 1 more ride... Can you not see that that is ridiculous, If I go to Universal and choose to spend more.. I can do a fast lane ..If I stay at a deluxe resort I can get it as part of my package. Disney is making you pay more for nada.. sorry but please don't make this into a bad expectations.. its Disney making poor decisions to maximize profit... those of us that purchased DVC are pretty damn disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter