• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Strategy for a trip in 2022? Lower Your Expectations

Glad Genie+ and ILLs worked so well for you also. Lines were soooo long. Yes, unbearable heat. This is the second time we have gone when it was unseasonably warm.
I was there as well last week......yes it was extraordinarily busy for this time of year.
I found the weather pleasant though, even in the direct sunlit asphault jungle of HS and MK. Mid 80s and relatively low dewpoint. Go in August and you will know the difference.

This post seems to be a complaint or lament more than a discussion of strategy. Obviously (based on many posts here for many months), you're not the only one who feels this way
I think you missed the OP’s point. Lowering your expectations IS the strategy. And it is excellent advice. We went two weeks ago and I wish I had this advice prior to that trip.

Lowering your expectations is important in many scenarios. Our adult kids were commando park touring guests in the past and when they only had infant children. Once their kids grew to be active toddlers who were easily frightened or overstimulated and needed a gentler pace, they really struggled with changing their expectations.

We found many years ago that we enjoy our trips (everywhere, not just to WDW) much more if we only set our sights on 1-2 must-do's and consider all else bonus. Crowds are huge everywhere... theme parks, national parks, beaches... (well, maybe not in big cities so much :scared:)... and travel is more expensive. Adjusting our perspective enables us to enjoy ourselves wherever we're blessed to be able to go.

Here right now and lots of people have spoken about their dislike for Genie+. Seems like every conversation we're having with people and they're bringing up either Genie+ or the long lines.

I'm finding things are great at the resorts and there's way more selection merchandise wise in the stores than a few months ago.
I truly hope the dislike for G+ makes its way back to the 'powers-that-be' so, just maybe something will change for the better with Genie+.

My 22 month old loved things like Country Bear Jamboree and the Skyliner. She loved playing in the Dumbo area and Figment area. She was really easy to please. 😂

This is what I’m hoping for. She hasn’t watched any TV or movies before, so she has no expectations of needing to do anything. I’m hoping to be able to experience parts of the park I don’t do as much (like the Riverboat, Country Bears, playgrounds)

We canceled our Spring trip. I filled out two surveys sent to me prior to canceling with feedback about why I was canceling and I wrote guest services. Also had a 6 night November trip booked that I cut in half and moved to December…. Though I’m monitoring the situation and may very well switch over to Universal for a few nights instead. I’m just about to actually book universal for same dates and as my cancellation window approaches decide what makes more sense.
I know it's been posted multiple places, and I did use the search feature, but I can't find it- what is a good email for guest services? guest.services@wdw.com failed

I really dislike Genie+. The only time it was really beneficial to us was the day we did early opening at DHS. The strategy that worked best was to book ROTR and MMRR at 7am, hit TOT at opening and then RNR, then keep stacking LLs in order of availability. It really is a lot of work and strategy.

Other days we wanted to sleep in. I'd set my alarm for 6:45am to book ILL and G+ then go back to sleep. G+ didn't work as well for us on those days because we went with booking our priority rides instead of first available. So at 7am we'd book FOP and SM and then keep book popular rides (BTMR, HM, etc.). All of those times were late in the day or at night, so we had less to do at the parks during the day.

What is boils down to is G+ is just not in line with our vacation style. A few years ago when the kids got up early it probably would have worked. I wish there was an Express Pass option like Universal instead.

I know it's been posted multiple places, and I did use the search feature, but I can't find it- what is a good email for guest services? guest.services@wdw.com failed
This is the one I used: WDW Guest Services <wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com>

I sent them an email detailing both the good and bad things from our trip in Feb as soon as we got home. I got a canned form letter back from them something to the effect of "we are so glad to hear from you and are processing your email. As soon as we can, someone will get back to you....." yada yada yada. That was 2/15. I have heard nothing since then.

This is the one I used: WDW Guest Services <wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com>

I sent them an email detailing both the good and bad things from our trip in Feb as soon as we got home. I got a canned form letter back from them something to the effect of "we are so glad to hear from you and are processing your email. As soon as we can, someone will get back to you....." yada yada yada. That was 2/15. I have heard nothing since then.
Thank you. Even if they aren't responsive, at least you know they received it. I don't expect a response either, but maybe if they get enough feedback, they'll recognize that there's a problem.

Thank you. Even if they aren't responsive, at least you know they received it. I don't expect a response either, but maybe if they get enough feedback, they'll recognize that there's a problem.
I agree... I hope everyone sends in a note... tell them all the high points, low points, stress any CMs that gave great service, or otherwise. The more details the better.

I have always done this after a trip. In the old days, I would usually get a personal phone call to discuss any issues. There usually wasn't anything anyone could do, but if it was a legitimate error on their part, there often was some kind of pixie dust offered to help rectify. It's just good business on their part, or at least it was until recently.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing the surveys and emailing your concerns. Its the only way we have to tell them what we are experiencing - good and bad.

I think you missed the OP’s point. Lowering your expectations IS the strategy. And it is excellent advice. We went two weeks ago and I wish I had this advice prior to that trip.
Respectfully, keep reading. The OP later tried to frame her post as practical advice (although I still disagree that any practical advice was contained in the original post). But if I am wrong, and lowering expetctaions is actual strategic advice, then why keep reading this thread (or any thread here for that matter). If you reduce your expectations to zero in every situation, then you won't ever be disappointed. That "strategy" is not for me. I do think it is good to have realistic expectations, but I also think strategy is finding ways to make the most out of a situation (e.g., crowds or reservations, etc.). The OP was a complaint about the current state of affairs at WDW. That's not advice or strategy. Its just a complaint

What Disney needs to do is increase their park hours. Magic Kingdom used to be open from 8am-1am during peak times. Since it's always crowded these days, going back to longer hours would help eliminate the crowding and give people more opportunities to get on the rides. I have also heard that Disney is not running all rides at top capacity. They need to hire the necessary amount of cast members to maximize ride loading and operating times. Finally, they need to increase the capacity on their existing rides by retrofitting larger cars and they need to stop building new low capacity rides. I had dinner with an Imagineer the night that RotR opened. I asked him about the rumored demand outpacing capacity. He said that the Imagineers loved that people had to stand in line so that they could enjoy all the details that they put into the themed queues. I was disgusted! They knew that RotR would be a high demand ride. Why didn't they build it in such a way to allow for larger cars or more of them? I know that they said that there were limitations with trackless rides. In that case, they should have built the ride with a track. Maybe it wouldn't break down as much then.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned here but it personally bothers me how much that Disney has done away with Walt's philosophy. I used to be a cast member and it was always a rule that you had to hide construction. Now, you can see construction work all over the place. Disney also used to be fastidious with keeping clean bathrooms. The last 5 or so times that we went, we encountered numerous dirty bathrooms with overflowing trash bins. You could smell the stench coming from the guy's bathroom in Hollywood Studios. It was absolutely disgusting. It wasn't a fluke either. We were passholders and encountered the problem multiple times. A lot of these times were pre-pandemic. Finally, a few of the times when I had to ask a cast member for directions or where to find a particular food item, the cast members didn't know the answers. Some of them didn't speak English at all. I support them hiring non-English speakers but they should at least teach them phrases such as "Where is the closest bathroom"? When I worked there, we were expected to know about the food served at restaurants and which stores sold which merchandise and the layout of the parks. The quality control is not there anymore.

Sadly, we didn't renew our passes even though we live less than an hour away. We got Universal passes instead. We spent a few days at Portofino Bay resort. The rooms were cleaned every day. The boats ran efficiently back and forth from the hotel to the parks. We got free express passes for staying there. It was terrific! There's only 1 restaurant that requires reservations there. You can go to the rides in any order. With the express pass, you just walk into the express line. It's simple and requires no pre-planning. I don't understand why Disney had to overcomplicate things. They could have easily done the same. Yes, the express pass costs more but if you add in the genie+ plus ILL passes, it's not that much more and it's so much more relaxing. Since it's a higher cost, less people have it which makes the regular lines move faster. It's really a shame that the magic is gone.

HS desperately needs some rides that toddlers can enjoy!
HS just needs more in general. Too few rides, yet most of the ones they have are all headline attractions which makes Genie+ practically worthless in that park. You’re lucky if you get
1-2 selections from Genie+ at HS. I also am amazed at how much money and effort they do to create lands like Batu and Pandora…yet only put in two rides in these big lands…the rest is just shopping and food. Seems like a huge waste.

I truly hope the dislike for G+ makes its way back to the 'powers-that-be' so, just maybe something will change for the better with Genie+.
Disney has record attendance and a huge percentage of people are buying G+, so they are making a ton of money. Modern Disney could give a hoot about guest satisfaction when they are making money hand over fist.

. We got free express passes for staying there. It was terrific! There's only 1 restaurant that requires reservations there. You can go to the rides in any order. With the express pass, you just walk into the express line. It's simple and requires no pre-planning. I don't understand why Disney had to overcomplicate things. They could have easily done the same. Yes, the express pass costs more but if you add in the genie+ plus ILL passes, it's not that much more and it's so much more relaxing. Since it's a higher cost, less people have it which makes the regular lines move faster. It's really a shame that the magic is gone.

It's all about the numbers.... Universal has seven resorts that have about 6,700 Rooms, whereas Disney has over 36K rooms. Yes there are more attractions at Walt Disney World, but the numbers and capacities of those attraction just does not allow for something like Universal's Express Pass.

Heck when you look at the daily capacities of the different attractions in the parks... the bottom line is the parks are only designed to handle 15K - 30K guest a day (not all being riders of attractions). But Disney is FAR exceeding those numbers, and thus creating a MAJOR supply and demand issue at each park. Slinky Dog should be able to handle about 17K guest in a 13 hour day, but average attendance has been about 35K+ and that was before Galaxy Edge opened. Midway Mania with it's 3rd track is a real people eater at nearly 26K guest in a 13 hour day, but no matter how you look at it that's going to leave a fair number of guest out in the cold (or heat) on any given day. (guess I should feel bad when I' doing a second or third ride... )

What Disney needs is longer hours, and some of those hours should be dedicated to resort guest.... deluxe resort guest getting an extra couple of hours every now and then doesn't really go far enough. But that will be the next way to increase revenues bringing back the early premium breakfast experiences at MK and DHS, with Remy and Guardians maybe at Epcot as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter