• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Studio Tour?

bostonsnana

Mouseketeer
Hi there! I'm planning a June 2016 trip to Los Angeles. I'm trying to decide which studio tour would be the most enjoyable. It will be myself, four more adults and my nine year old grandson. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There isn't a "best". The two most popular (Warner Bros and Universal) are both great and
very different. Universal's is part of the theme park so in one way it is the most enjoyable;
a real working studio along with rides and shows and the new Harry Potter. Warner is a real
working studio with no "frills" so in that way it is the most enjoyable; walking the backlot,
stepping into sound stages (the Friends set), costumes and props from famous movies.

Paramount is a smaller studio in the heart of Hollywood to in some ways it is the most
enjoyable. A more intimate, personal tour of the history of Hollywood for the movie fan.
Sony's tour is very much the same; old Hollywood, walking into TV sets (mostly game
shows) and the backlot.

So what do YOU want to see? What do YOU find most enjoyable?

Thank you so much for all the info! They all sound so wonderful. Wish I had the time to do them all. My bunch likes the idea of Universal but that sounds like more of a theme park experience. How long is the studio tour there? I've been reading about the Warner Bros tour. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you so much for all the info! They all sound so wonderful. Wish I had the time to do them all. My bunch likes the idea of Universal but that sounds like more of a theme park experience. How long is the studio tour there? I've been reading about the Warner Bros tour. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

The regular Studio Tour that is included with your park admission is 45mins to 1 hour long.

The Universal V.I.P Studio Tour is 3-4 hour long and is $299-$399 per person.

I think if you really want to know what being on a studio lot is like, WB is the best. Universal's has never felt like a true Studio Tour to me (although, to be fair, I've never done the VIP one) -- it definitely has a theme-park feel to me. That said, since I have a nine-year-old myself, I will say that your nine-year-old probably won't be as entertained at WB as the adults. They reference tons of older TV shows and movies that aren't going to mean anything to him.

I've done Paramount once and both Universal and Warner Bros. twice.

I agree with the other posters, Universal is much more of a ride than an actual studio tour, and Paramount is great if you're into old Hollywood (which I am), but probably not as interesting to a 9 year old.

Warner Bros is my favourite hands down - if you have the option I'd recommend going on a Saturday or Sunday. Our first trip was a Sunday and much more time was spent walking around the backlot and we got to visit a number of sound stages including Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and Ellen. Whereas, our midweek trip felt felt very restricted in what we had access to and where the guide was able to bring us. We got to see one soundstage and spent a lot more time watching video clips of studio rather than actually experience it. (I'm hoping that's not something that has been added to all tours now)

The guides were also great at taking on board what shows and movies we were all into. Our tour group wasn't very vocal with their likes for the first few minutes, but once people chimed in with things they were interested in the guide really went out of his way to stop at those sets, walk around the houses on the lot and point out filming locations.

If your grandson has any interest in Harry Potter and/or Batman we got to see some really cool costumes and props including some Batmobiles.

Aaaannnd... I've just seen how long ago you asked this question so you may have already made your decision. I'll see myself out. :)

Warner Brothers Studio tour is awesome. We have done it twice and enjoyed it both times. It was nothing like the Universal tour...Universal is a theme park and the tour part was very small in comparison and you don't get to do near as much. I guess if you pay for the VIP tour there, it is more immersive.

This is an old post, but I've been looking at both of these post DL trip (but probably not both because of the price). Our kids will be 12 and 8 when we come (which makes Paramount not an option as you have to be 10+). As a big tv fan, the WB tour looks really neat, but not sure our kids will get as much out of it. The nice thing with Universal is that it would cover our day whereas the WB tour is only 2hrs (but of course, Universal is a lot more)...but we really don't want another theme park after Disney. What kind of tour does Universal do? I actually did go to Universal when I was around 15, and funny enough, I don't remember any rides there..just movie stuff and stunt shows, but guess it's changed?

Let me add my personal ratings, since I have done them all.

By far, my number 1 is the Universal VIP Tour, which is much more than just a small personal group touring sound studios and backlot areas, but also meals and the Theme Park experience.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/tickets/vip-experience/

Age limit is 5+ and photos/videos are allowed for almost all experiences.

Number 2 doesn't get mentioned a lot, but is interesting, and that is the Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City.

http://www.sonypicturesstudiostours.com/

A walking tour, Age limit is 12+, photos/videos mostly allowed. Weekdays only.

Number 3 would be the Paramount VIP Tour.

http://www.paramountstudiotour.com/vip-tour.html

Age limit is 10+, weekdays only, I prefer the Morning tour with lunch.

And at the bottom is the Warner Bros. Tour.

The Deluxe Tour is the best, but about the same price as the Universal VIP, and is a lot shorter and only one meal.

https://www.wbstudiotour.com/deluxe-tour

Age limit is 8+, photos/videos are severely restricted. (Your camera is usually locked up in a box on the tram).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter