• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best taco recipe?

Best taco recipe? 🌮
If you can handle all the sodium, a friend of mine, her mom made the BEST tacos. I asked her one day what went in them and her mom used 2 packages of taco seasoning with 1 lb ground beef and then added a can of crushed tomatoes. The rest was the usual fixings, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and salsa.

We prefer patty tacos. This recipe is from a local restaurant and is exactly how we make them at home:
  • 1/4 cup lean ground beef
  • 1 corn tortilla
  • Salt pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Canola or neutral flavored vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 tablespoons Shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons Shredded Iceberg or Romaine lettuce
  • 1 tablespoon Diced tomatoes
  • Spread a thin layer of ground beef over half of each corn tortilla so that the meat is about ¼-inch thick.
  • Sprinkle the beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
  • Using tongs, carefully lay the open-faced tortilla meat-side-up in the oil. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the meat and gently press down.
  • Fry for about 2 minutes, then flip the taco with the tongs and cook until until the tortilla is crispy and the meat is cooked, about two minutes longer.
  • Remove the taco from the oil, turning it on its side over the oil to drain. Transfer to a paper towel.
  • Top with shredded cheese, lettuce and diced tomatoes.

If you can handle all the sodium, a friend of mine, her mom made the BEST tacos. I asked her one day what went in them and her mom used 2 packages of taco seasoning with 1 lb ground beef and then added a can of crushed tomatoes. The rest was the usual fixings, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and salsa.
Well, you nailed the core issue. What can your body tolerate?

We use one-quarter packet of McCormack Mild 30% less sodium taco seasoning and even THAT is a little strong for us.
Not sure that adds up to a recipe because tacos kind of are something that doesn't need a recipe in my book.

Love taco night as an easy dinner! It's a free-for-all. I make the taco meat and everyone uses it to make what they want: taco salad, nachos, soft tacos, etc. My seasoning for one pound of ground turkey or beef is below. (The only salt is in the chili powder.) Once the meat is browned, sprinkle the spices on it and stir in 1/2 cup of water until well combined and excess water is evaporated. I also use the same seasoning mix for chicken fajitas.

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder (or granulated)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or granulated)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black powder
A pinch or two red pepper flakes

Williams Sonoma Chile Lime Seasoning
Street style corn tortillas
Red onions
Cilantro
Herdez Avocado Salsa (the world's best and most versatile jarred salsa)
Chicken breast, thigh, flank steak, pork tenderloin, or shrimp (pick your favorite)

That's all you need.

Sprinkle the seasoning liberally over tye meat. Let sit for a few hours in refrigerator. Rub with olive oil and grill the meat. Chop it up.

Warm the tortillas, add the meat, some onion and cilantro, and salsa. Cheese is optional, but use 5 Cheese Mexican blend.

Thats it. Easy peasy. No ground beef, or hard taco shells. Absolutely never an envelope of taco seasoning. 🤢

Last edited:
We prefer patty tacos. This recipe is from a local restaurant and is exactly how we make them at home:
  • 1/4 cup lean ground beef
  • 1 corn tortilla
  • Salt pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  • 1 tablespoon Canola or neutral flavored vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 tablespoons Shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons Shredded Iceberg or Romaine lettuce
  • 1 tablespoon Diced tomatoes
  • Spread a thin layer of ground beef over half of each corn tortilla so that the meat is about ¼-inch thick.
  • Sprinkle the beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
  • Using tongs, carefully lay the open-faced tortilla meat-side-up in the oil. Fold the other side of the tortilla over the meat and gently press down.
  • Fry for about 2 minutes, then flip the taco with the tongs and cook until until the tortilla is crispy and the meat is cooked, about two minutes longer.
  • Remove the taco from the oil, turning it on its side over the oil to drain. Transfer to a paper towel.
  • Top with shredded cheese, lettuce and diced tomatoes.
I'm curious how long you've been doing this? I had never heard of this but have seen recipes all over the place in the last few weeks. Sounds good and we were thinking of trying it sometime.
Love taco night as an easy dinner! It's a free-for-all. I make the taco meat and everyone uses it to make what they want: taco salad, nachos, soft tacos, etc. My seasoning for one pound of ground turkey or beef is below. (The only salt is in the chili powder.) Once the meat is browned, sprinkle the spices on it and stir in 1/2 cup of water until well combined and excess water is evaporated. I also use the same seasoning mix for chicken fajitas.

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder (or granulated)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or granulated)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black powder
A pinch or two red pepper flakes
This is exactly how we do it, including the recipe for seasoning. (though I don't really follow the recipe, just dump spices together.) I keep a container of it made up.

I no longer make tacos, because we have several Mexican restaurants nearby that don't cost much more than making them yourself, plus you can order exactly what you want without random leftovers. Anyway, my favorite taco is pork belly or shrimp w/lime juice, cilantro and red onions.

I'm curious how long you've been doing this? I had never heard of this but have seen recipes all over the place in the last few weeks. Sounds good and we were thinking of trying it sometime.
My daughter has been married for over 20 years to a wonderful man of Hispanic heritage. When they first married, my daughter asked his grandma to teach her how to make Mexican dishes. That is where she learned about patty tacos. Now she makes wonderful Mexican dishes. I see from other posts that many people use a lot of seasoning in their tacos. We have a large Hispanic population in our city and many good Mexican restaurants. I have never had tacos that were as highly seasoned as those mentioned here.

My daughter has been married for over 20 years to a wonderful man of Hispanic heritage. When they first married, my daughter asked his grandma to teach her how to make Mexican dishes. That is where she learned about patty tacos. Now she makes wonderful Mexican dishes. I see from other posts that many people use a lot of seasoning in their tacos. We have a large Hispanic population in our city and many good Mexican restaurants. I have never had tacos that were as highly seasoned as those mentioned here.

Yes you have. They just marinate the meats. They have FLAVOR without a lot of spices thrown into the cooked meats. Most Mexican marinades have a fruit juice base (usually citrus--orange, lime, and pineapple most commonly), garlic, salt, cumin, cilantro and some sort of chile peppers (they range from mild to spicy). Often, dried peppers are used. If the meats aren't grilled, they are braised in a similar liquid. The flavor gets in deep. That's why it's so good.

Well, you nailed the core issue. What can your body tolerate?

We use one-quarter packet of McCormack Mild 30% less sodium taco seasoning and even THAT is a little strong for us.
Not sure that adds up to a recipe because tacos kind of are something that doesn't need a recipe in my book.
I thought the exact same thing. ::yes::

Yes you have. They just marinate the meats. They have FLAVOR without a lot of spices thrown into the cooked meats. Most Mexican marinades have a fruit juice base (usually citrus--orange, lime, and pineapple most commonly), garlic, salt, cumin, cilantro and some sort of chile peppers (they range from mild to spicy). Often, dried peppers are used. If the meats aren't grilled, they are braised in a similar liquid. The flavor gets in deep. That's why it's so good.

That's the marinade I make for flank steak...for tacos. I use orange, lime and lemon as the citrus and the spices/peppers. Gives the meat the complexity and depth that I'm looking for.....and then just dress them simply, some avocado, onion, diced. tomato, queso fresco....that's it. So good! I can't eat any tacos made with that seasoning that comes in a pouch...too salty!

Yes, we marinate our steak and chicken for grilling as you describe. But for tacos, we only lightly season the ground beef with salt and pepper and garlic powder.

I make the seasoning CGB posted and it's great, but I don't use that amount for one pound of meat. I make a jar of it and use it as desired. The whole point of making your own seasoning is to control the ingredients and the amount according to your taste.

I have never been a fan of the traditional taco night. Ground beef tacos in crispy shells is just not my thing. Soft tacos are better, but I prefer to change it up with the contents. Tacos al carbon or fajita tacos are much more my thing. Living in Texas, we have more Tex Mex and true Mexican restaurants than we know what to do with. The cheaper place we normally frequent is around $10 for a 3-taco full dinner. They usually have $5 off coupons if you spend at least $30, so it's actually less than that on most of our visits.

While I have yet to try making it, if you want to change up your taco game, try making Birria tacos. It's kind of like taking meat from a Mexican style pot roast/stew and putting it into tacos. I believe the tacos get pan fried a bit before serving and are usually plated up with a dipping sauce which is really just the stew broth/gravy although I've seen some people say they do more of an adobo broth for dipping. The restaurant we go to usually plates it with lime, avocado, and pickled onions and radishes.

This is one of the better looking recipes I've seen online.
https://iamafoodblog.com/birria-tacos-recipe/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter