Best things you have ever seen...

lana772

Disneyland Lover
In the last few months I have read several threads devoted to "bad" things that people have seen in Disneyland park. Some of them quite sad.

I say let's talk about the great things we have seen.

A sad child that a total stranger cheered up. A frazzled parent that another parent gave a helping hand to. A lost guest that someone went out of their way to help. I'm sure there are some amazing stories out there. Let's hear them!

Anyone want to start by sharing a magic moment they witnessed in the parks?

When I was 19, I witnessed a proposal near the Matterhorn when I was visiting DL with my parents. Everyone in the area cheered when she said yes. It was great.

Seems we are slow to get started here, so I'll give one I witnessed up close and personal.

We were on Paradise Pier playing the games and my girls were having a particularly lucky day. Both had won large fishing Mickeys. There was another family with 3 children under 10 yrs old that we had seen repeatedly that day. One of their children had several small animals, but the other two had nothing. They were obviously forcing smiles for their brother. My girls saw this happening. My oldest whispered something in her sister's ear and they got grins on their faces. Without saying anything to their Father and I, they went over to the family and gave the two other kids their big Mickeys. They were very excited. :)

I was VERY proud of my girls. To me that's what the Disney magic is all about.

I'm dissapointed. I hoped more people would have good stories to tell.

I wasn't there to see it, but my friend told me a story with some CM pixie dust!

Recently when her family went to the parks her DD6 wanted to check out Indiana Jones for the first time. As they went through the line she got more and more nervous. My friend, knowing she was getting too scared to ride asked the CM where the nearest exit was for them. The CM must have known why and got down to her DDs level and in the sweetest most reassuring voice asked why she didn't want to ride. DD explained that she was getting nervous and was saying it would be scary. CM, again in a reassuring voice, told her that it really wasn't scary and explained the whole ride, CM then said if she went on the ride, not only could she drive the car but she could get a "front of the line pass" for any ride she wanted. Her DD agreed and the CM took them to the front of the line (they weren't far from the front anyways) and put her in the drivers seat of the vehicle.
My friend said she loved it so much it's her new favorite and the went on 4 additional times!

It's CM memories like this that make trips special, and I'm sure her DD will never forget.

I love seeing CMs taking an extra step to make trips memorable, it always warms my heart!

When we were walking thru the Castle into Fantasyland there was a same-sex couple hugging listening to "When You Wish Upon a Star" - that was probably my most "magical" moment I've witnessed. Still brings tears to my eyes.

DharmaLou said:
When we were walking thru the Castle into Fantasyland there was a same-sex couple hugging listening to "When You Wish Upon a Star" - that was probably my most "magical" moment I've witnessed. Still brings tears to my eyes.

See!!! Thats so sweet!!! Why don't we noticed those things! Everyone is so quick to point out bad things and yet how many times at DL do we witness a beautiful moment someone is having and we walk past without giving it a second thought.

I say we LOOK for the beautiful moments and share those!!!

On our last trip in 2011, I left my camera by Disney JR and when we realized, it was gone. I was devastated. It was DD's (2) first trip and we had already done MHP and key the princesses, all on that camera. We checked lost and found and it wasn't turned in. We checked again the next morning and still nothing. We hadn't heard anything all day and I was so furious with myself and sad at the same time. We grabbed a bite to eat before a parade in the evening and as we were sitting there, my husbands phone rings from an Anaheim #. Thee was only one reason we'd be getting a call and we all held our breath. They had our camera! My hubby literally ran all the way through the park to pick it up while we got parade seats. He came back and sure enough it was our camera with all our pictures, I broke down in tears! Whoever found it and turned it in made my trip and I still get emotional thinking about how grateful I am that whoever found it did the right thing and saved all our precious memories for us!

I think people tend to remember the bad more, as it seems so out of place in DL. We have a mental image of it being this happy, wonderful place, so we tend to accept the extraordinarily wonderful as 'routine' and have the bad stick in our mind because it seems so extraordinarily wrong. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because largely our expectations for wonderful happenings are being met. For example, my heart melts when I see a father holding his little daughter's hand and sharing the joy of DL.. Reminds me of my first trip with my dad.

Oh, but I have so many great memories, not sure which is the best...

When I took my solo birthday trip (best gift to myself EVER) I was waiting at the partners statue for rope drop. Nearby was a family with twin boys who were around 2-3 years old dressed as Tigger and Pooh. They were adorable, and both were very interested in their map, I almost believed they could read it. Well, it was near the end of May, right before Grad Nights started, and apparently there was a senior ditch day going on. There were roving bands of teenagers wearing matching t-shirts. A group of them approached our little knot of folks who were chatting it up and explained that they were on a scavenger hunt. They said that part of the hunt was to get a picture of their group with a character. They thought it would be much more awesome to have a picture of them with the twin boys dressed as characters, would the parents mind? They agreed and took some great pictures of all the kids together, the boys loved it.

Lets see. Lots of wonderful things I have witnessed at Dland. I'll share one about a sweet cm. My daughter and I were next in line in Gadget's Go Coaster so were able to see this all unfold on the loading platform. Among the group getting into the coaster was a dad with his two v young boys. They were maybe 4 and 5 years old - just tall enough to get on the ride. The seats on that kiddie coaster only hold two people and the dad was a big guy so no way that all three of them could get in one seat. The loading cm broke them up into two seats which happened to be in two different segments of the coaster. The youngest boy was desperate to ride with his dad so the dad decided the slightly older one would ride alone. The older boy had not anticipated this - he looked truly broken hearted. He was so sad and anxious - not in a bratty way but you could see he was really scared to ride alone. The boy dutifully sat in his separate seat, but big quiet tears started to roll down his cheeks as he looked back from his front seat to see where his dad and brother were in the next car back. He kept looking back at them with worry all through the safety check and looked like he might bolt out of the seat at any second. (The dad seemed kind of oblivious to all this, busying himself with the younger boys lap bar.) I was waving from across the platform wanting to make sure cms noticed (I was worried the older boy would try to climb out or something as the ride launched) when the loading cm went up to the dad and asked if he would mind if she rode with his son. The dad said sure, and the cm gently went up to the boy, introduced herself and said she worked at this ride b/c it was her favorite, and could she please sit with him and have a chance to ride? The boy nodded, smiled, and as soon as the cm say down he took her hand and put his little head on her shoulder. Off they went. When they returned to the station the boy was laughing and squealing with joy. The trio exited. As I got into the coaster I thanked the cm for stepping in and being so kind to the boy. She just smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

Seems we are slow to get started here, so I'll give one I witnessed up close and personal.

We were on Paradise Pier playing the games and my girls were having a particularly lucky day. Both had won large fishing Mickeys. There was another family with 3 children under 10 yrs old that we had seen repeatedly that day. One of their children had several small animals, but the other two had nothing. They were obviously forcing smiles for their brother. My girls saw this happening. My oldest whispered something in her sister's ear and they got grins on their faces. Without saying anything to their Father and I, they went over to the family and gave the two other kids their big Mickeys. They were very excited. :)

I was VERY proud of my girls. To me that's what the Disney magic is all about.

Aww that must be awesome to witness as a parent! So cool!

On our last trip, my DS3 was being really timid about all the attractions. He had been on Star Tours before, but for some reason this trip, was really scared about it. We told him if he was a brave boy and rode Star tours (which he loved and came off grinning from ear to ear) we would get him a treat. He picked a sucker (kid loves suckers, even over ice cream or cupcake, etc). While buying our suckers (mini ones) at the Candy Palace on MSUSA, the CM asked why we were getting them..........I explained that DS3 was brave and rode Star Tours. She then opened the package for us, told DS3 what each flavor was, and then made him an "I'm Celebrating" pin and wrote on it with sharpie, I rode Star tours today! I was so touched by her efforts, and DS3 was SO excited to get a pin!

DD(8) was playing the water gun game at CA to try and win a Dumbo. She actually had won one the day before, but she just loves those games. She didn't win, but a young lady (20 something) offered DD the prize. We declined because we didn't have room for two of them, but it was SO NICE of the young lady to offer it to DD!

And one that my DD participated in. In DTD, DD noticed that a baby kicked off her shoe while in a stroller and the parents didn't notice. She picked it up and ran after the parents/stroller. Of course I was like, "where the heck are you going?". They were very happy that DD found the shoe. I find it's always good karma to do a good deed :)

Some of my fondest DL memories are of seeing folks - especially kids - experience something for the first time. This happened on my last trip when I rode Soarin' over California - I wrote about it in my blog and as I am lazy at heart I just cut-n-pasted:

There was a family next to me - including a little girl - who had never experienced this attraction before. They were asking me questions about it. I told the little girl to "look for Mickey on the golf ball". During the ride I could hear her squeal with delight, and I also heard her exclaim "I saw Mickey!" after the golf ball flew by.

Me and my friend were standing outside of SM deciding if we wanted to wait or fastpass it. As we were a girl came up and asked if it was only the two of us. Since it was she asked if we wanted to join them in the fastpass line. They had been on earlier when it broke down. It was so nice of them to do. Later we were in line for Indy when it broke down and we decided to wait because it was the last ride of the night for us. It ended up needing to be evacuated so we got fastpasses. We weren't going to use it so on our way out we gave it to a young couple who where headed in to pass on the good juju we had gotten earlier.

Recently, I saw a couple with their kid in a stroller going down the middle of Main Street right after rope drop and the wife puts her hands up and screams for joy. She was so happy to be at Disneyland. Then she breaks out in to a near sprint, pushing the kid in the stroller, and the husband had to run to catch up with her. I imagine that's how many of us want to be but are too mature to do it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter