Best time of day to visit Galaxy’s Edge?

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
I know venturing into Galaxy’s Edge can be largely dependent on when you get a ROTR boarding group. If you put that aside, when do you recommend visiting? I hear it’s hot with not a lot of shade … but can also be crazy busy first thing in the morning. We’re going in October, if that matters.

We def. plan to visit the land at night one evening but also want to experience it during the day. Thoughts?

EDIT TO ADD: Is the outdoor portion of the line for Smugglers Run mostly exposed or in the shade?

Last edited:
EDIT TO ADD: Is the outdoor portion of the line for Smugglers Run mostly exposed or in the shade?

That depends on how much of the line they are using. If they have a scenario where lines are long and they are using the backstage section, that area has some shade but it depends on time of day how well the shade tarps they set up cover things- it can feel very hot back there even in the shade as it's all asphalt, concrete and metal shipping containers. However, I don't know if they've needed that line section a whole lot lately. We went through it in early June but that was when they were still spacing the line and not using queue that was even kind of indoors. They were not using the backstage area when we rode on the July 4th weekend. I'm not sure at what point they start using that area... I'd guess around 1hr wait? If they are just using the regular queue it's pretty much all in at least partial shade.

We went there first thing in the morning on Sunday, July 4th, and it was pretty quiet back there. No wait at all at the milk stand, MF:SR was only about a ten-minute wait. I guess people don't generally go straight to the back of the park.

This was pre covid but it was during spring break, in fact a couple days before the park closed. We watched the fireworks from back there and basically had the place to ourselves. I have a great pic of chewbacca hugging my daughter in law with the fireworks going off above them. He had no handler either and spent a bunch of time walking around with us.

Everything else aside, if someone asked me for a recommendation as to the best time to visit, I would say right before dusk and then stay there as day turns into night. That way, you get the best of both worlds. It's great to see it in the day, but I really prefer Galaxy's Edge at night. Really great ambiance and atmosphere. When day turns into night, you get to see the glow of the lights come on and eventually take over as night falls. That is my favorite time.

I've only been to WDW's GE but we went both in the morning and evening. It's so pretty at night (hence my profile photo). I do like the daytime atmosphere though, I feel like we saw more stormtroopers patrolling and interacting with guests in the daytime. But night was so much less crowded and everything lit up was so cool. Great for lightsaber photos too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter