Best time to buy DCL merch on the ship?

craylortech

Earning My Ears
I'm preparing to go on my first cruise ever next week! I can't wait, and I've set aside a budget to spend on board on Dole Whip and merchandise. I'd like to buy a DCL hat and maybe a shirt. I've heard from many generic cruise tip blogs that you should wait to buy anything onboard until the last day because cruise lines often have quotas they want to hit, and if they don't hit them they will offer steep discounts on items.

This just doesn't seem like something Disney would do as they are a premium brand, but I want to ask here if I should wait until a certain day or time to get my DCL items?

Thanks for any tips!

Just got off the Dream yesterday morning. Can't tell you about quotas but can tell you a good time to shop is in the evening at suppertime. Folks are either eating or attending the show so you can wander around without a crowd. Bon Voyage.

I'm preparing to go on my first cruise ever next week! I can't wait, and I've set aside a budget to spend on board on Dole Whip and merchandise. I'd like to buy a DCL hat and maybe a shirt. I've heard from many generic cruise tip blogs that you should wait to buy anything onboard until the last day because cruise lines often have quotas they want to hit, and if they don't hit them they will offer steep discounts on items.

This just doesn't seem like something Disney would do as they are a premium brand, but I want to ask here if I should wait until a certain day or time to get my DCL items?

Thanks for any tips!
While that may be true for the end of season cruises (Alaska dated, specific items, for example), the majority of merchandise just carries over from cruise to cruise.

It's a better idea to buy something you see/like early in the cruise, as, because of limited storage space onboard, if a product sells out, it's out (no more onboard for that cruise), until the ship returns to home port to re-supply.

I’ve never seen deals on anything because the cruise is coming to an end. If you see a sale, it will be there regardless of day 1,3 5 or 7. It’s a matter of when something sales out.now we do sometimes wait until we’ve at least been to Castaway Cay as they have different merchandise you can only get there. They too often have sales on Items they are trying to get rid of. So we usually wait and do on board shopping until at least CC is over. We almost always buy something at CC.

If you see something you like, buy it. This is especially true of sized items as when they run out of a certain size, there is a good chance there are no more. I've also heard they allocate a certain number of each size/item per cruise, so once that number are sold, they are gone.

One thing to remember is that you can return items purchased on board so long as you do so before the end of the cruise. We always shop on the first evening for these reasons.

You mentioned Dole Whip. What they sell on the ships is nothing like those in the parks. They only share a name. Onboard, it is a pineapple slushy while on land it is a non-dairy soft serve.

I would stick to my rule of picking it up as soon as you come in contact with it vs later. I’ve never seen any discounted items but as others have pointed out..you may encounter a sale if you are on the last themed cruise for that cycle...such as HOTHS or a Star Wars Cruise etc.

They only have so much merchandise on board. I was looking for the bronze statue pin of Minnie (for the Fantasy) and could not find one. The CM didn’t even see one so who knows if they will even get them in stock again. Found plenty of Admiral Donald on the Dream.

If you see something you like, buy it. This is especially true of sized items as when they run out of a certain size, there is a good chance there are no more. I've also heard they allocate a certain number of each size/item per cruise, so once that number are sold, they are gone.

One thing to remember is that you can return items purchased on board so long as you do so before the end of the cruise. We always shop on the first evening for these reasons.
That's a very good point! I didn't realize you could return stuff on board.

You mentioned Dole Whip. What they sell on the ships is nothing like those in the parks. They only share a name. Onboard, it is a pineapple slushy while on land it is a non-dairy soft serve.

Nooooo!! I haven't been to a Disney park in years and I've been missing my long lost Dole Whip! What a let down.

I would stick to my rule of picking it up as soon as you come in contact with it vs later. I’ve never seen any discounted items but as others have pointed out..you may encounter a sale if you are on the last themed cruise for that cycle...such as HOTHS or a Star Wars Cruise etc.

They only have so much merchandise on board. I was looking for the bronze statue pin of Minnie (for the Fantasy) and could not find one. The CM didn’t even see one so who knows if they will even get them in stock again. Found plenty of Admiral Donald on the Dream.
Good to know, thanks!

I have never seen steep discounts onboard....If you see something you like, buy it early. You are at sea so if they run out of your size, its a done deal. The last night is a zoo in the shops, I avoid it at all cost on the last day.

I have never seen steep discounts onboard....If you see something you like, buy it early. You are at sea so if they run out of your size, its a done deal. The last night is a zoo in the shops, I avoid it at all cost on the last day.
Great point as well when it comes to apparel selling out in your size.

Well, you may not get a Dole Whip but the soft serve banana ice cream is awesome!! Agree with others, it’s not like things in the stores are going to change.....but I can spend a lot of time browsing them. And I always miss seeing everything it seems no matter how many time I look! It’s awesome. LOL.

Also keep in mind the shops are closed whenever the ship is docked. I've never had a real Dole Whip, but thought the ones on the ship are pretty good with the addition of the spiced rum.

Last edited:
Avoid shopping when shows are letting out, and the last night. If you are on a cruise itinerary that is rare or a “one off”, there could be special merchandise that is just for that cruise - buy that early as it does disappear. If you are doing a Caribbean or Alaskan cruise, there isn’t as much of a rush. Enjoy your first cruise!

I agree with a lot of the comments above and personally I like to make my purchases early on of my cruise. I did notice on a few of the reposition and transatlantic cruises all the merchandise from the previous cruise was on sale so I snapped a lot of it up.

What everyone else has said. If you see something you want buy it then. Unlike a land-based store, the ship has very limited storage for replenishing.

I have never seen DCL do the “yard sale” type things (2 logo shirts for $20, etc.) that I have seen other lines do.

Also keep in mind the shops are closed whenever the ship is docked. I've never had a real Dole Whip, but thought the ones on the ship are pretty good with the addition of the spiced rum.
Huh, that's odd! I assume it has to do with weird maritime laws or something?

What everyone else has said. If you see something you want buy it then. Unlike a land-based store, the ship has very limited storage for replenishing.

I have never seen DCL do the “yard sale” type things (2 logo shirts for $20, etc.) that I have seen other lines do.
Yup.. makes sense. As I stated in my original post, it seemed unlikely to me that Disney would do this because they are a premium brand. Brands like Apple and Disney basically never participate in "sales."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter