Best time to go- April 2020

MissManda

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip for 2020. The past few trips have been in the fall and we would like to switch it up with a spring trip. I was thinking April would be good, but Easter is on April 12th next year. It looks like our schools locally will have spring break following Easter. We would like to avoid the Spring Break crowd.

I know that SWGE is going to have a serious impact on crowds for a long time and will throw off most traditional crowd calendars. With that in mind though, would you recommend going a few weeks before Easter or a few weeks after Easter? Which would give us our best option at a slightly lower crowd? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

If you are going in April it is basically impossible to avoid spring break crowds. If you have a choice I would avoid the week before or after Easter, but I would expect mid-late March through the end of April to be busy as spring break season spans that entire time. You might want to consider May if you are looking for lower crowds, although in my experience Disney is ALWAYS busy!

We were just there March 22nd-27th as our spring break is early and the crowds were insane. Just as bad as summer. I was hoping it wouldn’t be as bad being further out from Easter espeaciallly with Easter being late this year but they weren’t at all.

From what I’ve been told pretty much mid-March through Easter and the week or two after is considered Spring Break and anything goes.

If I were you and you have the flexibility, I would honestly either go like the very end of Feb/first week of March or wait until the very last week of April/beginning of May.

Last edited:

we are going April 21-28, our school vacation is a bit later; hoping most of the Spring Break crowds will be gone.

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize spring break crowds would last for so long. This definitely helps with the planning a bit more.

Easter is April 12th next year.
If you could go around the 19th or later you should be missing all spring breaks.

We are going last week of April/first week of May, and we are expecting relatively low crowds.

This is exactly what we did in the past, and it worked out fantastically. I think we lucked out, as we were able to avoid both Spring Break crowds, and the Cheereading Worlds, which are held around the same time. The weather was fantastic and crowds were low. Of course this was a few years ago. I'm hearing there are no "low" crowds anymore, but late April/early May is a great time to go!

Easter is April 12th next year.
If you could go around the 19th or later you should be missing all spring breaks.

This is when we're thinking of going next year. Bonus is that this is the last week we have direct flights out of our city.

I just don't want crowds that are a 9-10 so hopefully this will be a good strategy.

I've been twice in April, both times the last week of the month. By then Spring break crowds are gone, and crowds are much more manageable.

If you can go the last week of the month (the one that goes into May) that's probably your best bet. Most spring breaks will be over by then- NH takes their April vacation that week but it's still decent in terms of crowds. The week before will be busier but shouldn't be horrible once you get past the weekend (19-20 the post-Easter crowd should be on their way out), but it is April vacation in MA and some other areas.

If Easter is on the 12th then the Easter/school vacation busier time would probably be until the 25th or 26th. If you could go that last week of April or the very first week of May. I think this time frame would have more manageable crowds because school spring vacations will be over and it would be before kids in the south are officially out of school. Spring time is a perfect time to go weather wise.

we are going April 21-28, our school vacation is a bit later; hoping most of the Spring Break crowds will be gone.
In 2020, April 20-24 is Massachusetts public school spring break (and I think Maine also). Its always the week that has the 3rd Monday in April - its our Patriots Day holiday.

Another factor keeping crowds low(er) is many states have their student's standardized tests right after spring break, on into May. This is sadly the only reason we are no longer able to travel in the spring. :(

So the end of April or early May sounds like a good time to go.

If we decided to go earlier would the very beginning of March work- either the 1st or 2nd week?

I personally would prefer the end of April but my hubby does wedding photography and on the side and the later in the spring we go the more it starts conflicting with that. So he might push for earlier.

Thanks again for the input.

Also keep in mind Star Wars race weekend is April 16-19th in 2020. So fans will come to race and explore galaxy edge again ( probably for the 3rd or 50 th time )
My girlfriend said this past year the last week in February/ first few days in March were like 68-75 degrees and not too crowded. Maybe because the arts festival at Epcot had stopped and the flower and garden festival hadn’t started yet.

We are planning a trip for 2020. The past few trips have been in the fall and we would like to switch it up with a spring trip. I was thinking April would be good, but Easter is on April 12th next year. It looks like our schools locally will have spring break following Easter. We would like to avoid the Spring Break crowd.

I know that SWGE is going to have a serious impact on crowds for a long time and will throw off most traditional crowd calendars. With that in mind though, would you recommend going a few weeks before Easter or a few weeks after Easter? Which would give us our best option at a slightly lower crowd? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have.
I would not go the week before Easter or the week after Easter. I have gone the last week of April for my birthday for the last 3-4 years and the weather and crowds for the most part have been good.

So the end of April or early May sounds like a good time to go.

If we decided to go earlier would the very beginning of March work- either the 1st or 2nd week?

I personally would prefer the end of April but my hubby does wedding photography and on the side and the later in the spring we go the more it starts conflicting with that. So he might push for earlier.

Thanks again for the input.
The first and second week of March will still be incredibly busy - for example, a good portion of Canada's school boards have their Spring Break during the second week and crowds will be a 10. The first week of March for the past number of years has also been slammed.

Definitely wait until the last week of April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter