Best Time to Shop for Christmas?

I just picked up the last gift for my three daughters. I couldn't figure out what to get for the 16 year old, but she just got a (new to her) loft bed, and she's got a pile of blankets under there, so I got her a beanbag. The 13 and 8 year olds were super easy this year though, since the 13 year old actually brought me a list.

For my mother in law, we're getting her a membership to the Corning Museum of Glass, and I actually got her a stained glass hanging thing at a craft show, so I'll give her that, too.

Santa only fills stockings here, so I found a few small but cool things, I'm still looking for more but at least the big stuff is done for.

Otherwise, we only buy a few things for the oven mitt game for the adults, and we do secret santa for the kids.

AND I even bought Christmas pajamas for Christmas Eve, they were a steal at Kohls with birthday kohls cash and offers. Plus, we always do matching pajamas for all 9 of the grandkids for Christmas, but the flannel at JoAnns was on sale for $2;99 a yard last week, so we got that all ordered and delivered to my mother in law to start making up, and I got everyone t-shirts and there's vinyl on the way. Basically everything is somehow just about done, including Christmas pictures. Insane!

I just picked up the last gift for my three daughters. I couldn't figure out what to get for the 16 year old, but she just got a (new to her) loft bed, and she's got a pile of blankets under there, so I got her a beanbag. The 13 and 8 year olds were super easy this year though, since the 13 year old actually brought me a list.

For my mother in law, we're getting her a membership to the Corning Museum of Glass, and I actually got her a stained glass hanging thing at a craft show, so I'll give her that, too.

Santa only fills stockings here, so I found a few small but cool things, I'm still looking for more but at least the big stuff is done for.

Otherwise, we only buy a few things for the oven mitt game for the adults, and we do secret santa for the kids.

AND I even bought Christmas pajamas for Christmas Eve, they were a steal at Kohls with birthday kohls cash and offers. Plus, we always do matching pajamas for all 9 of the grandkids for Christmas, but the flannel at JoAnns was on sale for $2;99 a yard last week, so we got that all ordered and delivered to my mother in law to start making up, and I got everyone t-shirts and there's vinyl on the way. Basically everything is somehow just about done, including Christmas pictures. Insane!

The best Joanne's fabric sale is their Black Friday deal, which actually starts a few days before Thanksgiving. Flannel and fleece go on sale, but there's also a coupon for 20-25% off your entire purchase. I make sleep pants for 3 of my kids--3 pairs each. They're all adult sizes now, but still love the homemade sleep pants--they wear them all the time, year-round, and it's a sad day when a faded, ripped, too-short pair winds up in the donation pile! Then we use the leftover pieces for cat beds, catnip bags, or other items. I mostly do flannel, but make fleece for my one DD who lives in Boston.

Just something to think about for next year, or if you find yourself a little short on flannel (one year, I made child's M instead of adult. Oops! Time for a do-over). I typically go the Monday before Thanksgiving--still a great selection, and no crowds.

including Christmas pictures. Insane!

Ah! I forgot all about pictures. Although I just had some taken of DS in July so I may use those. Just got a Shutterfly coupon in the mail (50% + free shipping- anyone know if that's their best deal or should I hold out a little longer)

You can't usually use the coupons on doorbusters though, and that's what the $2.99 flannel and fleece always is. :( Plus, we normally do our pictures before Thanksgiving, just because trying to find time with all 9 of them and activities between Thanksgiving and Christmas is.. uh.. INSANE. :P

I love the idea of little cat toys though, that's a great idea! We have a bunch of catnip here, and I'm sure the shelter would like some, too.

You can't usually use the coupons on doorbusters though, and that's what the $2.99 flannel and fleece always is. :( Plus, we normally do our pictures before Thanksgiving, just because trying to find time with all 9 of them and activities between Thanksgiving and Christmas is.. uh.. INSANE. :P

I love the idea of little cat toys though, that's a great idea! We have a bunch of catnip here, and I'm sure the shelter would like some, too.

For Black Friday, you can do the doorbusters plus a coupon--I've been doing it for years, no problem. But, if you have good reasons for starting early--and I get it--go with the best deal you can find, and call it a day. I fell your pain on the activities--I have 4 kids, spread over 11 years. In December, it's Nutcracker--Every. Single. Year. My youngest is 15--only 3 more Nutcrackers to go!

I'm glad we don't have nutcracker!.. or any sort of plays, dances, performances.. yet.

Our JoAnns is.. kind of small, super dirty, and doesn't always follow what other ones do, I've found. :(

I used to like Nutcracker. Now, I'm SO over it! I work in the wardrobe department, so it's costumes all over the house, then I'm backstage making repairs.

Sorry you don't have a nice Joanne's--ours is huge. I like it much better than Hobby Lobby for fabrics. I've never tried ordering fabrics online--I dunno, I just like to look at them in person, I guess.

i had the opportunity to spend some extended time at my local walmart this week and it was pretty eye opening. normally at this point in the year the indoor portion of their garden center is used as a display of christmas decor along with floor to ceiling racks and racks of all the trees, larger items and back fill stock for all the holiday aisles in the store. adjacent to that area there's normally about a dozen of the half length aisles (half the length of their normal grocery aisles) that house small decor, wrapping paper, bows, cards...this year the racks were at best 25% filled, half aisles were down to 4 and they looked akin to a normal after christmas clearance sections (slim pickings).

i thought maybe it was just christmas stuff, but no-there were so many items normally in abundance at this time of year either severely depleted or just nowhere to be found. electric heated throws and blankets normally have 2 double sided half aisles but i only found about a dozen in total on an end cap, fleece and other throws in general were almost non existent. i was able to grab a couple of stocking stuffers along with a single pair of men's pj bottoms (non holiday themed-there were only a couple in the women's department, a handful in the kids). i'm going to do a target run next friday but i don't hold out too much hope so i'm doubling down on getting my shopping done online this week to ensure timely delivery.

I've read that some people get better deals before Black Friday and I'm wondering when that is exactly? I've also read on social media that we will most likely have shipping delays again this holiday season. I've already gotten 2 of my 4 kid's Christmas wish lists. I like to save money and stretch how far it can go. I'm debating purchasing everything now vs waiting for possible deals that may or may not come. They have very specific items on their lists (Nintendo switch games, Calico Critters and Legos - items that usually don't go on sale very often). Amazon has the best prices right now, so my return window will only be 30 days from when I buy it. I save for Christmas all year, so purchasing now isn't a problem. When are you planning to do your Christmas shopping this year?
Right now. This year it won't matter about sales because inventory plus shipping delays will result in price increases. I have almost all my shopping done because of this. I create a list for everyone I shop for and what they are getting. Then I surf the internet until I find a deal and buy it. My advice. Shop now.

i'm going to do a target run next friday but i don't hold out too much hope so i'm doubling down on getting my shopping done online this week to ensure timely delivery.

Agreed. My Walmart and Target are the same. Our Target has almost no Halloween items left- it seems like they got what they got and then had nothing left to refill shelves. Like you said, definitely looks akin to what is usually looks like the first week of November when they clear it all out, and Christmas will be the same I'm sure. I thought we lost DS's Halloween trick or treat bucket when we moved so i was checking to see if they had any more. Totally wiped out at Target. Luckily I found it in a closet this morning.

I also ordered an orange sterilite bin from Target to store our Halloween decorations in so we don't lose things like we almost lost the bucket. I'm praying it doesn't get cancelled since i already had to go 3 targets over just to get it. :(:confused3

Right now. This year it won't matter about sales because inventory plus shipping delays will result in price increases. I have almost all my shopping done because of this. I create a list for everyone I shop for and what they are getting. Then I surf the internet until I find a deal and buy it. My advice. Shop now.

I agree. Once Halloween is over, I'm planning to get it all knocked out.

I’m so impressed with all of you that already have gifts wrapped! I usually buy throughout the year, but always seem to be up late Christmas Eve still wrapping 🤦🏼‍♀️ ... ok, let’s be honest, sometimes it’s Christmas morning or the morning of whatever day the get together is taking place 😬🤪

I've started my Christmas shopping (for the kids at least) prompted by some good Target Circle deals. However, no luck so far with my DD's top gift wish for this year (Gabby's Dollhouse Purrfect Dollhouse Playset). Seems they should retail for $50-60, but I'm only seeing them for $150ish on Ebay and Amazon resellers. I guess everyone snatched them up and is now reselling them for 3x's the price. Since I'm not willing to pay that kind of markup, anyone have ideas about how I can snag one if they get restocked? I played this game to get DS a switch a few years back, but there was more available to teach someone clueless like me how to do it! I don't see many sites listing "in stock" alerts for Gabby's Dollhouse, lol!

well, i just got some wrapping done. god bless whomever decided to put graphing lines on the back side of the paper, makes it so much faster when you have dozens of items the same size:lovestruc
Every time I wrap a gift I thank the person who thought to put the grid on the back of the wrapping paper. Such a wonderful idea!

I’m so impressed with all of you that already have gifts wrapped! I usually buy throughout the year, but always seem to be up late Christmas Eve still wrapping 🤦🏼‍♀️ ... ok, let’s be honest, sometimes it’s Christmas morning or the morning of whatever day the get together is taking place 😬🤪
That’s what I’ve been dealing with. I’m staring at shelves full of already purchased gifts with no will to wrap them.

That’s what I’ve been dealing with. I’m staring at shelves full of already purchased gifts with no will to wrap them.

I've learned that if I don't pick a weekend in October or early November to wrap the large pile of gifts I've usually accumulated by then, they are going to get just a bow stuck on it come Christmas Eve and slapped under the tree like that LOL But DD21 really likes the look of my wrapped gifts (nothing special other than I like to use nice foil papers and wide fabric ribbon) and would miss the "magic" of the wrapped gifts.

I've been waiting for a few hours where DD and her boyfriend are both out of the house (he doesn't live here but hangs out here even when she's not here) and I don't have something else going on. But somehow their class and work schedules are complete opposite of each other so when one isn't here, the other is...I may have to kick them out one evening so I can get started.

I am also a bit short on wrapping paper I think which is throwing me for a loop - thanks to after Christmas sales I usually have a 2+ year supply at any given time, but somehow I managed to not pick any up the last 2 years! And other than a few rolls at DollarTree, no store I've been to has any out yet. But I admit my shopping has been mostly limited to grocery stores and Target the last few weeks. Anyone know if Walmart has theirs out yet?

I am also a bit short on wrapping paper
We've accumulated a good amount, some from when my husband's grandmother passed away. But like the earlier conversation with the grid on the underside gosh those are gold. We bought some years ago a Costco and sadly haven't been able to find them again from Costco. Oh we could buy new ones (at I'm sure a higher cost than we paid at Costco) but we still have so much leftover it would seem like a waste to buy more. It's clear though some wrapping paper is the pits, we have one that is awful at tearing so we make sure to use that only for small things like a small (talking pretty small) box but now it just keeps sticking around because of that lol.

I too am impressed with those who have already gotten things wrapped.

We do a combo of things wrapped and things in a gift bag. Honestly some of our favorite gift bags we've gotten have been from the Dollar Tree.

I didn't get any wrapping done this weekend, but I did get items sorted and things like clothing put into gift boxes, ready to be wrapped. So a little bit of progress? DD21 and her boyfriend are both working this evening, so I might be able to get a few packages wrapped then.

But I'm still in the market for some more wrapping paper - I went to Walmart this weekend, but they didn't have anything I liked out yet. My daughter works at Target and said her store was starting to put out the paper yesterday, but not a whole lot of it yet. At least I have an "inside source" there and don't have to waste time making a trip just to see they have nothing LOL

Last edited:
Just like a lot of you, I usually have a stash of Christmas wrap but I used most of it last Christmas.
I like to buy it at the after Christmas sales or on sale around Black Friday BUT this year, with all the supply shortages I have decided to bite the bullet and just buy it when I see it.
I bought some last week in a Hallmark store and I did see some at Costco so I guess it is slowly coming into the stores

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter