• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time to visit-Halloween or Christmas

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Wondering everyone's opinions! We were originally going to go in August 2018 but instead are going to go either October or Nov/Dec! Just trying to decide when is better! Crowds? Weather? Traveling? We are driving from NJ! Kids will be 8 & 6 TIA!

Avoid Jersey week if you want to avoid crowds, unless you prefer the rest of your state to join you ;)

It's all highly subjective.

Nov - April can get you multiple days with highs below 70. Great if you are heat adverse, but potentially bad if you want to swim and get sun.

The Halloween vs Christmas conversation usually centers on which holiday you prefer. Disney does a great job celebrating both. If you go enough, I recommend trying both.

Personally, I prefer shorts and t-shirt all day weather (May- October) vs dealing with layers. but I also prefer Christmas decor...I guess that doesn't help :)

I have never been during Halloween but love Thanksgiving Week or early December when all of the decorations are up at the parks and resorts plus there is the Holidays Around the World and CP at Epcot.

Floridian here. October weather can be quite hot and humid, though not nearly as bad as August. It can also be pleasant. October is the end of hurricane season and there is a chance you would have to reschedule, more so at the beginning of October. Avoid the week of Thanksgiving, including the weekends on either end; also avoid the last two weeks of December unless you really like crowds, higher prices, and long lines for everything. You can catch the end of the Food and Wine festival if you go in October or early November at Epcot.

The parks are normally decorated for Christmas in the week or so after Thanksgiving. MK is sooner because of the parties. Disney does more for Christmas than Halloween. However, the Christmas entertainment at MK does not start until the parties end, in the week or two preceding Christmas, when it is insanely crowded. The Halloween party is far more fun than the Christmas one, and the entertainment and characters are actually exclusive, unlike with the Christmas party. Main Street is decorated with dozens of jack o lanterns, which is neat to see. So, it depends on how important weather is to you and what sounds like more fun.

Thanks everyone! I have been to both the Christmas & Halloween parties! I honestly don't know which one I liked better! Lol! I went the week of October 20, 2008 and the crowds and weather were amazing. But I hear it's not really like that anymore. I went the week after Thanksgiving in 2006. It was a long weekend, I think we checked out on like Dec 1 or 2. Crowds and weather were amazing! Anyone know of any deals that have been offered around either of these times? Like free dining or room discounts? Maybe that would help in my decision making?! Lol!

Wow! The entire month of October is blacked out and most of November?! Well that doesn't help much! Lol! Fingers crossed for possibly a room discount at least next year! Thank you!

October is BUSY! I was a little surprised because I was used to the "old" crowds in October.

I like December a lot, and tend to visit then more often than any other time of year. I prefer the weather, the decorations and the events. With that said, the Halloween decorations and the Party in MK is spectacular IMO. I think you choose which Holiday you prefer.

I am having the same debate right now myself. Right now my two choices are Halloween week October 27-November 3rd 2018. Already have a hard to book campsite booked for Fort Wilderness, which would be awesome to experience during Halloween. We would drive our trailer down from Canada, never been to Fort Wilderness before and think it would be so much fun over Halloween!

Second choice is either last week of November or either of the first two weeks of December. Never seen Disney decorated for Christmas and would love to see that as well. If we go this route we would fly in and most likely stay at Bonnet creek again. Have stayed here twice and just love it there.

Both choices have pros and cons and it's a tough choice, we are traveling with me, Dh, and two 16 year olds and a 12 year old. Sorry I can't help you make a choice because I'm trying to make the same one but will be referring to this thread for opinions.

Do your kids have a preference? If I were going with kids I'd want to do Halloween. Food and Wine will be going on then, too!

Do your kids have a preference? If I were going with kids I'd want to do Halloween. Food and Wine will be going on then, too!

The kids are torn as well! Lol! I think a big deciding factor is the weather! I don't want to go when it is super hot and I know October could still be pretty warm! I don't want the heat index to be in the 90s! However, Nov/Dec is a risk of it being too cold! Ugh! I don't know what to do!! I was looking at past discounts available for each time and it looks like room only discount would be available.

Christmas is a much bigger and impressive deal at Disney than Halloween and very fun. The chances of it being "too cold" in Nov/Dec are much less likely than it being "too hot" in Oct.

October is now packed and semi-miserable and you don't want to be near WDW this year Nov 2-6 due to Jersey, holiday and runDisney events.

I LOVE the first week of December. Decorations are up and relatively low crowds.

From December 20 - January 3 it is PACKED. PACKED.

I went last year the week of October 16 for about 8 days and literally most rides were walk ons. There was barely anyone in the parks. Of course I think it was helpful that there was a big I.T. Convention at the Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club. The weather was hot during the day but we usually went back to the hotel for a rest during the hottest parts of the day. Also Food & Wine is going on during this time which we love to attend and make a couple meals out of just snacking through the booths.

The previous year we went to Disney World the first week in December and it was similar wait times to the October week but it was cold! We had to walk out of Fantasmic because the water on top of the wind was too much to stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter