Best transportation option from SNA to Disneyland

They are *not* currently plentiful at the on-site hotels, as they used to be. Good idea to get a card from the driver and plan ahead. But no guarantee that driver will be available. Next is to call automated system night before and schedule a pickup (the bell desk has the correct flyer/number to call). If you wait until you have luggage and ready to leave, you may be out of luck. We waited 20-ish mins and automated system never found us a taxi. I would be prepared with Uber/Lyft app as a backup plan.

Yes, everything is flip-flopped with Ride-Share and Taxis currently (prices at times and availability most of the time). Until more ride-share drivers return to working (either full time or part time) it could be this way for a while. :thumbsup2

We used the yellow cab iOS app to schedule a taxi last time we were at the parks in June. Driver showed up to our hotel 10 mins early. We didn’t have any issues. You can schedule your ride several days in advance and check on it to make sure it’s still there. We are currently at the parks now and just scheduled our ride back to the airport for tomorrow afternoon.

We used the yellow cab iOS app to schedule a taxi last time we were at the parks in June. Driver showed up to our hotel 10 mins early. We didn’t have any issues. You can schedule your ride several days in advance and check on it to make sure it’s still there. We are currently at the parks now and just scheduled our ride back to the airport for tomorrow afternoon.

For those looking for the Yellow Cab app for Orange County, it's called "RideYellow" (all one word).

Reporting back as promised.
We landed Sunday around 10 am and based on the feedback on this thread, we skipped Lyft and went to the long line of taxis. Tons were available. We immediately regretted it when we got in the small Prius that turned into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. We were flying on the freeway at 85 MPH with all the windows open since the driver refused to wear his mask. He did have a decorative mask hanging from his gear shift. As has always happened to us in years past, he refused to take a credit card, and the only change he had gave him a great tip which he did not deserve, but got as I just wanted out of the taxi and into the hotel and the park.

On the way back, I pre-booked a Lyft from the Grand Californian the night before (on the Lyft app) and Rosa arrived at exactly on time with a clean beautiful new car. There was a line of taxis at the Grand Californian waiting to take people without reservations to SNA but I looked at them and said "Not today, Satan!" and we got in Rosa's car and had a lovely ride to the airport for about $50 plus a VERY generous tip which she did deserve.

Perhaps I have been unlucky, but in all the years I have been doing this, every time I take a taxi from SNA the credit card machine is "broken" and every time I take a Lyft I am glad I did. I checked the app several times the prior day and there were no surge pricing situations in effect. If you prebook you are not subject to surge.

I hope others find this useful!

(attached, a photo of Mr. Toad...sadly the speed is not showing up on the display, but trust me, we hit 85... and my experience around the world when I nicely ask taxi drivers to slow down, they do the opposite)

Reporting back as promised.
We landed Sunday around 10 am and based on the feedback on this thread, we skipped Lyft and went to the long line of taxis. Tons were available. We immediately regretted it when we got in the small Prius that turned into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. We were flying on the freeway at 85 MPH with all the windows open since the driver refused to wear his mask. He did have a decorative mask hanging from his gear shift. As has always happened to us in years past, he refused to take a credit card, and the only change he had gave him a great tip which he did not deserve, but got as I just wanted out of the taxi and into the hotel and the park.

On the way back, I pre-booked a Lyft from the Grand Californian the night before (on the Lyft app) and Rosa arrived at exactly on time with a clean beautiful new car. There was a line of taxis at the Grand Californian waiting to take people without reservations to SNA but I looked at them and said "Not today, Satan!" and we got in Rosa's car and had a lovely ride to the airport for about $50 plus a VERY generous tip which she did deserve.

Perhaps I have been unlucky, but in all the years I have been doing this, every time I take a taxi from SNA the credit card machine is "broken" and every time I take a Lyft I am glad I did. I checked the app several times the prior day and there were no surge pricing situations in effect. If you prebook you are not subject to surge.

I hope others find this useful!

(attached, a photo of Mr. Toad...sadly the speed is not showing up on the display, but trust me, we hit 85... and my experience around the world when I nicely ask taxi drivers to slow down, they do the opposite)

View attachment 598160
Oh dear! It seems like whether it’s a shuttle, taxi or Lyft/Uber….. you never know what the experience will be. Glad you had a nice return trip with Rosa. Appreciate the feedback.

There was a line of taxis at the Grand Californian waiting to take people without reservations to SNA but I looked at them and said "Not today, Satan!"
:rotfl2:
Glad you had a better experience with Lyft!
I had a good experience with Uber to SNA mid-June, though I had to wait 20 minutes while he finished a drop off nearby. About the same cost as you, beautiful car, nice quiet polite guy, safe driver.

Thanks for this great info. I know Uber/Lyft aren't allowing passengers in the front seat, but is it the same for taxis? We're a family of four and I'd rather have a larger vehicle so we can all be in the back. I wasn't sure if a taxi would want one of us to sit up front. Thanks!

Just took Lyft last week. It was about $25 each way; SNA to Desert Inn on a Wednesday at 4:30-ish pm, and a Saturday around 11:00 am.

Both drives were fine. The first one didn't load my suitcase (no biggie, but worries me that they'll try to charge my for scratches or such). Second one loaded my stuff, chatted a little, but was a speedy little ride.

Be ready to roll the windows down if it makes you more comfortable (I definitely did!). My drivers had their windows down like a half inch and one had his mask on his chin...

Thanks for this great info. I know Uber/Lyft aren't allowing passengers in the front seat, but is it the same for taxis? We're a family of four and I'd rather have a larger vehicle so we can all be in the back. I wasn't sure if a taxi would want one of us to sit up front. Thanks!
They have minivan taxis so everyone can be in the back :)

I have never seen a minivan taxi at the pickup location outside at SNA. You might want to call yellowcab in advance if you need more than 3 people picked up.

I have never seen a minivan taxi at the pickup location outside at SNA. You might want to call yellowcab in advance if you need more than 3 people picked up.

We (4 people) took a taxi from SNA on Sept 18th and a minivan was conveniently the very next one in the line. I didn't notice how many minivans were in the line but there was some. I'm not sure if you can skip to a minivan if not first in line. On the way back to SNA I scheduled a ride on the app and I forgot to specify minivan so my husband sat in the front seat and that was not a problem.

Thanks for the info, everyone! We've taken taxis from SNA to Disney in the past, but we'd definitely want a minivan so we can all sit in back, and I wasn't sure if they were available, and/or if you can skip to one if it isn't next in line. It sounds like it is the luck of the draw!

Yes, the Dispatcher will get a minivan for you even if it is not the next in line. It is all very easy.

Quick question from a Canadian here! Right now in BC at least, for Ubers, they require. drivers and passengers to have their masks on. I roll down the windows when I ride too. Is that implemented in CA too? What about taxis? Are there any rules in place to ensure everyone's health and safety?

I was wondering the same thing. I scheduled the Uber for the trip from Harbor to the airport, but who knows what the surge pricing will be?

Be really careful....Ive been hearing some horror stories about Uber/LYFT lately....I took it with a grain of salt until it happened to my friend...I'm hearing that they are canceling last minute even if they are showing almost there....my friend went a couple times with them doing that on her return trip to airport and even had text with the driver and told him if youre going to cancel please let me know and not waste my time...she ended up having to take taxi...she's pretty seasoned traveler so for it to happen to her its making me steer clear of them

Quick question from a Canadian here! Right now in BC at least, for Ubers, they require. drivers and passengers to have their masks on. I roll down the windows when I ride too. Is that implemented in CA too? What about taxis? Are there any rules in place to ensure everyone's health and safety?
My experience last month (Sept) with Lyft each way) :

First driver: Mask on under nose. Window opened 2 inches. I unrolled to like 6". It was 90° out and they didn't have the AC very high, so it was hot.

Second driver: Mask hanging on rear view mirror. No mask on face. Window opened a finger-width. I rolled down that window all the way!

My understanding is that mask and window is mandated by each company.

Be really careful....Ive been hearing some horror stories about Uber/LYFT lately....I took it with a grain of salt until it happened to my friend...I'm hearing that they are canceling last minute even if they are showing almost there....my friend went a couple times with them doing that on her return trip to airport and even had text with the driver and told him if youre going to cancel please let me know and not waste my time...she ended up having to take taxi...she's pretty seasoned traveler so for it to happen to her its making me steer clear of them
I had one cancel while they were circling the blasted parking lot at the airport. No notice as all. Ticked me off, obviously! Next one was 20 minutes away.

Same thing heading back to the airport. Ride accepted and then the driver canceled.

No notice either time.

My experience last month (Sept) with Lyft each way) :

First driver: Mask on under nose. Window opened 2 inches. I unrolled to like 6". It was 90° out and they didn't have the AC very high, so it was hot.

Second driver: Mask hanging on rear view mirror. No mask on face. Window opened a finger-width. I rolled down that window all the way!

My understanding is that mask and window is mandated by each company.
Ugh that raises my anxiety. I don't know why people can't just follow policy.

Did you take a taxi anywhere? I wonder if this is any different.

Ugh that raises my anxiety. I don't know why people can't just follow policy.

Did you take a taxi anywhere? I wonder if this is any different.
I didn't use a taxi. I had a few discount rides, which is why I chose Lyft.

I felt very anxious about the whole thing, especially the mask aspect. But I didn't really have other options; rental cars are $$$ right now, if available at all. (Funny side note: Auto correct changed cars to cats. Rental cats could be a great idea! Lots of calming purring. Need to figure out a business plan now! 🤣🤣🤣 ) so, Lyft, Uber, or a taxi. My Lyft was $22, a taxi is like $40-45. And I'm cheap. (I'm also vaccinated, so I had a little less fear there.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter