Best Universal hotel with a 3 year old?

Jadeey

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to Universal (followed by Disneyland) in October and had pretty much decided on Hilton for proximity to Universal (we won’t have a car). But in the last couple of days I’ve been reading about the Warner Brothers tour which I think we, along with our 9 year old would love. My plan is to leave our 3 year old back at the hotel for the day with my dad, who is joining us on the trip.

So my question is, is the Hilton still the best choice if my dad is planning a hotel day with a 3 year old? Or is there somewhere else we could stay where he and the 3 year old could walk to somewhere fun, but still easily get to Universal without a car? I see the Garland is highly recommended, but it looks similar to the Hilton in terms of poor size and not much to do for a 3 year old.

Second question, would you recommend 2 days at Universal with a 9 year old and 3 year old? My dad will happily sit with the 3 year old all day long at the water play/playground areas once we’ve exhausted the rides she can do. My 9 year old is a thrill junkie so will want to go on any rides she is tall enough for and probably want to do them multiple times. I wasn’t planning to do express passes, but could do just one day at the park with express if people think that is a better option.

Thanks! I love being here and planning a trip! My husband and I were last in Southern California before we had kids, and are very excited to return.

1 day only at Universal with kids that age, not much for the 3yo to do there and it’s a small park so unless you’re visiting in a holiday period, 1 day is plenty. October should be fine, just pick a day when there are no Halloween Horror Nights scheduled. Add the day to LA itself (plenty for kids of all ages) or Disneyland/DCA (3 day minimum there imo).
As for hotels, yes many here love The Garland, Hilton, Sheraton near Universal but I don’t see the appeal as I wouldn’t ever stay near Universal. It’s close to Universal but not much else and LA is so much more than a movie studio turned theme park. Better to stay in Hollywood or Beverly Grove. In Hollywood, Magic Castle Hotel is a great choice with kids (they’ll love the free ice creams and lollies). Hollywood also has great transport links to other areas of LA which you can (and should) explore. In BG, the Beverly Laurel Hotel is a great choice near the Farmers Market, La Brea Tarpits, Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (a little more adult oriented but fine for kids), Petersen Automotive Museum, great shopping and family friendly dining. What’s left of the LA Museum of Contemporary Art is there as well, all a max 20 min walk from the hotel. Great pool area at the Beverly Laurel as well, right in the centre of the hotel which has a 50’s theme.

1 day only at Universal with kids that age, not much for the 3yo to do there and it’s a small park so unless you’re visiting in a holiday period, 1 day is plenty. October should be fine, just pick a day when there are no Halloween Horror Nights scheduled. Add the day to LA itself (plenty for kids of all ages) or Disneyland/DCA (3 day minimum there imo).
As for hotels, yes many here love The Garland, Hilton, Sheraton near Universal but I don’t see the appeal as I wouldn’t ever stay near Universal. It’s close to Universal but not much else and LA is so much more than a movie studio turned theme park. Better to stay in Hollywood or Beverly Grove. In Hollywood, Magic Castle Hotel is a great choice with kids (they’ll love the free ice creams and lollies). Hollywood also has great transport links to other areas of LA which you can (and should) explore. In BG, the Beverly Laurel Hotel is a great choice near the Farmers Market, La Brea Tarpits, Academy Museum of Motion Pictures (a little more adult oriented but fine for kids), Petersen Automotive Museum, great shopping and family friendly dining. What’s left of the LA Museum of Contemporary Art is there as well, all a max 20 min walk from the hotel. Great pool area at the Beverly Laurel as well, right in the centre of the hotel which has a 50’s theme.
Thanks, that is great advice!
I’ll check out the hotel recommendations.

No worries, if you need more recommendations, feel free to ask.
In the meantime I’ll also throw Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Park Plaza Lodye Hotel into the mix, one each in Hollywood and BG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter