Best Upgrade You've Ever Received?

I was upgraded 3 times.
  1. POFQ when it closed after 9/11 to the Polynesian for just a few dollars more.
  2. From a standard view at AKL to a savannah view.
  3. From POFQ to a 1BR at SSR during free dining.

The only time I have ever gotten an upgrade was during our Honeymoon. We had a reservation for a king bed at Port Orleans Riverside and got moved to french quarter and given an amazing river view corner room. This was mostly because DCL apparently doesnt communicate our requests to WDW... Either way, we enjoyed the room.

Magic Kingdom view at the Contemporary! The view was amazing!

Yes same here, this past Christmas week I was upgraded from a standard parking lot view garden wing to tower theme park view. I was pretty blown away as that is probably a $500 upgrade per night during that week. They said it was because it was just one night before my DVC stay at BLT they were able to do that. And I suppose it didn't hurt that I paid full rack rate during the super expensive holiday period for the standard view room, so I didn't have any discounts on the room I reserved. That might have given them a little more leeway too.

Last edited:

I booked a standard view at the Grand Floridian for 2 nights so I experience a stay there and was upgraded to Club Level in the main building. It was great.

I booked a standard room at all star sports. The cast member asked if it would be okay to move us to SSR to a one bedroom suite. We said yes. When we got to SSR they gave us a two bedroom suite. It was awesome. Sure, we were way far out in carousel, but the room was fantastic, and we were right across from the bus stop. It was definitely a dream trip, and I'm glad we got that extra pixie dust.

Several years ago we were checking into Pop when the CM at the front desk said I had a phone call from the Manager at The Yacht Club. When he got on the phone he asked me if we would "do him the honor of staying there for our stay instead of Pop! Guess what we said? Can't beat a week there for $59 a night! We had booked some special promotion and I guess they had overbooked.

We got upgraded from garden view at Beach Club to Club Level, overlooking the stormalong bay and Boardwalk. It was gorgeous. I didn't want to leave.

The best part was, I'm the planner nerd, no one else in the group had a clue club level was even a thing Disney resorts did, or that upgrades were a thing.
I was meeting everyone at the hotel, get to the vestibule, I see their car, look for them ALL OVER the lobby, can find them, can't get anyone to answer their phones or text me. . .I FINALLY get one of them (as it happens, the LEAST seasoned traveler of the group)
"Where are you?"
"We don't know, it's very weird, they sent us upstairs to check in??"
"Upstairs??? We got CLUB LEVEL????"
"They keep saying that. I think we get free soda or something? And you need a key for the elevator?"
It was hilarious.

I've been to Disney about 15-20 times and never been upgraded, reading this thread is pretty neat though to see how people get some really nice surprises when they check in!

I often think you get a better chance of an upgrade if you're on a short trip, we usually travel for 10-14 days and I think that plays a part in things. I never heard anyone in my real life who has been to Disney very mention being upgraded, we always try to book what we know we will be happy with so I've never much thought about upgrades and such until I read here and see it's something so many on these boards experience.

On my most recent stay I was upgraded from a standard view room to a water view room at PORFQ. It was such a nice surprise. It was for a seven night stay - the week leading up to President's Day so that might have had something to do with it. I had done the early online check in. When we arrived at the lobby, there was a really sweet CM that checked us in with her ipad. I just remember her huge smile when she told us our room number. The number did not mean anything to me and I did not realize that we had been upgraded until we actually located our room. We found Building #6 but I assumed our room was on the back of the building facing the other buidlings/garden view. Instead we followed the room signs to discover that we had been upgraded to a view of the river! It was a very magical week for us.

Last year, we were checking in to 2 nights at the YC club level standard room during a split stay. During check-in, they told us there was a problem with our room (someone had found a hole in the curtains). We had just come from Epcot and it was super hot that day and all we wanted to do was change into our swimsuits and hit the pool. We asked if we could just go in the room, change, and they could change out the curtains while we were at SAB. The cast member asked the manager on the phone if that was Ok and then we heard her say, "Oh, I'm sure they'll be ok with that, I would be." She then said to the other cast member working there that they were changing our room to 4157. All of sudden, all the concierge staff wanted to take us to our room. Turns out that is the Admiral's suite - we were floored! We had two bedrooms, 2 and a half baths, 4 balconies, 2 sitting rooms - one with a fireplace, and a dining room for 8! The room was beyond our expectations and that was a very comfortable and posh two night stay.

In all our trips we were upgraded once at BC from standard view to garden view. I never go in expecting an upgrade and am fine with the category I book, but it was a nice surprise.

I love reading these!!! We have never personally been upgraded, but, we saw the family ahead of us at Beach Club being named family of the day..I got all teary eyed happy for them! I love seeing the magic, whether is happens to me or not is irrelevant. Part of the reason we keep coming back!

never had an upgrade and have never looked for one, although, if given, I would definitely not turn it down. I would do a happy dance

It was DLR but my husband and I had our first Disney experience at the Disneyland Hotel. When we got there and told the CM that it was our first visit she surprised with an upgrade to a balcony in the Adventure tower. While we didn't have a few of the parks we had a great view of the surrounding neighbourhood for 4th of July haha! when we came back the second night and told them that we want to change what we were celebrating to us getting in engaged we then received turndown service for the rest of our trip! It made our trip so magical and makes us excited for our honeymoon in May. Even if nothing happens it will still be wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter