• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best way to get Ride of Resitance

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
I know there are hundreds of posts about using Genie, but I have not really read through them since we were not planning on visiting the parks. We are at Disney now and thinking about doing a day visit to Hollywood Studios on Tuesday. We have not visited the parks since pre covid. What’s my best action to take to be sure we get on Ride of Resistance and Smugglers Run. We have been to the parks numerous times in the past and are really just interested in the new rides. The park is open at 8:30 that day for Disney guests. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Just get in line. If you're not buying Genie+ or pay for the individual LL (in the case of Rise), that is the only way. The line for Rise can get long. Smuggler's Run is shorter and its basically a walk on if you are willing to use the single rider line.

Thank you, do you think it's woth to get the Geneie + in my circumstances. Also thinking about adding a hopper to get into Epcot for Guardians and the fireworks.

Guardians uses Virtual Que, the drops are at 7am & 1 pm. The problem you’ll run into is that to join the VQ at 7 am, you need to have your park reservation at Epcot. To join the @ 1 pm you have to be in the park (Epcot) but park hopping is not available until 2 pm…

You have the option to purchase Individual LL access for Guardians, although I’m not sure if the system is smart enough to recognize you have hoppers and only offer times after 2 pm?

You do not need to buy G+ to purchase Individual LL access for any of the rides that have it available including Rise.

Will you be rope dropping? If so, Rise of the Resistance should be where you head first thing. You ought to be able to get on with a minimal wait that way. I’ve read that it’s also easier in the hour before park close, but I’m not sure that’s true at this time of year.

DH and I were able to see some of the fireworks for Harmonius from near the International Gateway, although I can’t remember exactly where. We were walking on the Boardwalk when we heard them and we went a little further, and saw some that were high enough to see (more than we expected, actually)… idk about the newest show, though. We also saw fireworks from the skyliner on a different night— pretty sure those were also part of Harmonius… that was cool. But again, it wasn’t the whole show, only a small part actually. Still, it was neat.

We aren’t diehard fireworks watchers, so catching just a few was fun. We did end up watching the whole show later in the trip… The barges were really far away, and the area in the sky was partly blocked by trees where we were. Both of us compared it to watching World of Color at DCA if you were as far away as the Esplanade (you can’t see it from there, but the distance seemed equivalent).

Last edited:

Thank you, do you think it's woth to get the Geneie + in my circumstances. Also thinking about adding a hopper to get into Epcot for Guardians and the fireworks.
I think only you can answer if its "worth" it. Nobody else can answer that for you.

In my experience, the wait for Smuggler's Run usually is not bad. For Rise, though, unless you want to wait a long time, you need to either be there for RD, pay for the LL, or get in line right before close (which you cannot do if you're watching the show at Epcot). So you have to decide how much your time and/or additional sleep is worth to you

We just bite the bulletin and buy ILL for Rise and Guardians. You can purchase both at 7 in the morning. We have had no problem with getting Rise after 2 since if you try at 7 it will give you time frames to pick from so just pick a time after 2. We usually go for around 4 to make sure we have plenty of time to get there. Buy ILL for Rise and go to Smuggler first Thing when the park opens. If you are staying on property head to smugglers first and you won’t have a wait since the early crowd at the Studios is either heading to Rise or Slinky

We hit Rise 80 minutes before closing time on our most recent visit and were able to ride 3 times before the park closed. The posted wait was 90 minutes.

We just bite the bulletin and buy ILL for Rise and Guardians. You can purchase both at 7 in the morning. We have had no problem with getting Rise after 2 since if you try at 7 it will give you time frames to pick from so just pick a time after 2. We usually go for around 4 to make sure we have plenty of time to get there. Buy ILL for Rise and go to Smuggler first Thing when the park opens. If you are staying on property head to smugglers first and you won’t have a wait since the early crowd at the Studios is either heading to Rise or Slinky
If you end up with hoppers to go to Epcot, you will want a ILL for early in the day at RotR, not after 2 pm which will interfere with your hopping plan.
Me? If I were RDing, I’d save my $ and head straight to Rise, then hit MF, which should still be a short-ish wait (maybe 30 mins?). If you want to ride Guardians buy the ILL for that.
If you get G+, you can get a normal LL for MF at whatever time is allowed for where you are staying (on-site or off). You might be able to get ne for close to your Rise exit time.

Just remember, you can pay for individual LL without buying G+, so if you don’t think it will serve you overall, don’t get G+ because you want ILL’s.

Buy lightning lane for Rise.
Buy lightning lane for Guardians.
Rope drop Falcon (or Mickey Railway if you want, then to Falcon).
If you get to Epcot by 1, you can also try for the virtual queue to get another ride on Guardians.

Guardians and Rise are absolutely phenomenal, it's easily worth getting lightning lane for them to give yourself the best chance of both.

My family and I just went on the 11th and we ended up buying an ILL for both Rise and Guardians. This way we didn't have to worry about lines or virtual queues. We also had our two young daughters which is mainly why we didn't want to wait in long lines. We were able to get on at the times we wanted and just made our day a lot easier. We ended up doing early entry for Mickey And Minnies Railway and snagged a 10am return time for Slinkie (we got genie+).

In June:
When I could get on Rise, the wait was always significantly shorter than posted.
3 days I wanted to rope drop Rise, and it was down at the start of the day all 3 days. They make you walk away from the entrance area when it is down. Waited over an hour, no good. Went on Smugglers single rider. Came back out, Rise was open, wait time over 2 hours. ARGH. I don't remember ILL being offered for Rise then. It is offered today at $22, but standy says 25 minutes!

In DLR the wait times are usually not that horrible.

WDW? Honestly rope drop. Maybe waited 20 minutes and most of that was just walking through the queue

We did Rise this morning and it was a walk on at 9:08am. It was posted as a 25 minute standby but it took about 8 minutes. I think we hit the sweet spot between when the early entry people get through but before the regular park guests reach the line. It is also a day when MK doesn't have a party but HS has a Jollywood party. Crowds were low.

We always ride about an hour before close. On Monday, we waited about 15 minutes? Maybe less. I think it was posted at 50 minutes.

If not watching Fantasmic, hopping in line had always paid off for us... luckily its never been down, longest wait had been like 30-40 minutes, usually half that.

Buy lightning lane for Rise.
Buy lightning lane for Guardians.
Rope drop Falcon (or Mickey Railway if you want, then to Falcon).
If you get to Epcot by 1, you can also try for the virtual queue to get another ride on Guardians.

Guardians and Rise are absolutely phenomenal, it's easily worth getting lightning lane for them to give yourself the best chance of both.
This. You asked about the best way to get Rise - and this is it. Buy the ILL first thing at 7am. If you aren't there for early entry - there will be a line by park open. But - you shouldn't find too bad of a line at park open for Smugglers or MMRR.

if you haven't been to the parks in years and the hot new attractions are must-dos, AND you're considering hopping, i think you have to spend the money on 1 if not 2 ILLs as well as G+ and also get smart on how best to deploy all this

In addition to what everyone else said, keep an eye on the status under wait times. When you see that it says temporarily closed, watch carefully and head for the line when it opens up if you are nearby. They’ll post a long wait time to start with and adjust as people surge in. I waited only 20mn for the first preshow this way. I was at the entrance of Star Tours when I noticed it had reopened within the past 5mn, as I had just checked it 5 mn prior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter