Best way to save on Disney?

KearneyFam02

*~* A dream is a wish your heart makes... *~*
In the past we've always gotten free dining and we are hoping for at least a room discount this year. In case there aren't any type of discounts in December this year, what is the best way to save on Disney? We've always bundled everything through Disney so I'm not sure of the best way to get the best deals.

Buying Disney gift cards through Sam's club, BJ's or Target (if you have the red card) can save you about 4 to 5 percent in purchases at Disney or paying for dining at Disney. I buy park tickets through undercover tourist to save some extra money too. As far as discounted room, there is not a promo going on right now through Disney for December but they usually have something released later in the year. We are going in December also and decided to rent dvc points. Renting the points saved a lot on the room. it might be something you want to look into, there are downsides to renting points so just make sure to do your research if you are interested in that.

In the past we've always gotten free dining and we are hoping for at least a room discount this year. In case there aren't any type of discounts in December this year, what is the best way to save on Disney? We've always bundled everything through Disney so I'm not sure of the best way to get the best deals.

Depending on how often you go an annual pass could help. Our passes usually pay for themselves after all the hotel and dining discounts. (We usually do at least two separate week long trips and some long weekend trips if airfare is reasonable.)

Buying Disney gift cards through Sam's club, BJ's or Target (if you have the red card) can save you about 4 to 5 percent in purchases at Disney or paying for dining at Disney. I buy park tickets through undercover tourist to save some extra money too. As far as discounted room, there is not a promo going on right now through Disney for December but they usually have something released later in the year. We are going in December also and decided to rent dvc points. Renting the points saved a lot on the room. it might be something you want to look into, there are downsides to renting points so just make sure to do your research if you are interested in that.

How was your experience renting points? We tried to rent points for the first time through DVC rental store and they were unable to meet our request for our trip in November. Did you use a different site?

So far everything has went well renting points. We tried David's dvc rental and dvc rental store and they couldn't find the exact resort we wanted. I think if you are flexible on which resort you get they can probably find something. I started being on the lookout for a individual wanting to rent points and found someone that had points at the resort we wanted. Just follow the dvc rental forums and you might find someone wanting to rent points. Also if you do rent from a individual verify they do have dvc ownership by going to the orange county Florida comptroller website. You can search by owner name and it will list if they have a dvc ownership. Also check references, most people renting points do have references from people that rented from them before.

Onsite or offsite?
How long to stay?

Offsite, eating breakfast at the offsite location, eating only one big meal (lunch) at the parks and packing snacks is the cheapest way to do it.

Depending on when you want to go and the type of accommodations you want on-site, renting DVC points can save money. But if you want a studio at a packed time and try to book it less than 8-9 months away, one cannot usually be accommodated. You would have to find someone (or the rental place that can line someone up) 11 months prior to the start date of the vacation to book a studio.

1. Most people can eat for less if they don’t purchase a dining plan. *Free* dining can be worthwhile for a lot of people but very few people can save money by purchasing it
  2. Disney now has demand pricing for their tickets. Choose to go when prices are at their lowest.
  3. Skip the hopping option. It’s gotten pretty pricey.
  4. Get your tickets from a discounter like boardwalktickets.com, parksavers.com or undercover tourist.com. Use the price comparison tool on touring plans to find the best price. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/ticket-calculator
  5. Buy Disney gift cards at a discount. Use them to pay for food and souvenirs.
  6. Stay offsite for less. Some offsite resorts even participate in EMH.

Onsite or offsite?
How long to stay?

Offsite, eating breakfast at the offsite location, eating only one big meal (lunch) at the parks and packing snacks is the cheapest way to do it.

Depending on when you want to go and the type of accommodations you want on-site, renting DVC points can save money. But if you want a studio at a packed time and try to book it less than 8-9 months away, one cannot usually be accommodated. You would have to find someone (or the rental place that can line someone up) 11 months prior to the start date of the vacation to book a studio.

We like to stay onsite and will be staying for 5 nights with 3 days at the park. We take one day to hit up Disney Springs and have a pool day. We love the dining plan and will get it regardless. I've priced it all out and it pretty much evens out to what we actually pay if we paid for the food. For us its just easier to have it paid for and out of the way.

1. Most people can eat for less if they don’t purchase a dining plan. *Free* dining can be worthwhile for a lot of people but very few people can save money by purchasing it
  2. Disney now has demand pricing for their tickets. Choose to go when prices are at their lowest.
  3. Skip the hopping option. It’s gotten pretty pricey.
  4. Get your tickets from a discounter like boardwalktickets.com, parksavers.com or undercover tourist.com. Use the price comparison tool on touring plans to find the best price. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/ticket-calculator
  5. Buy Disney gift cards at a discount. Use them to pay for food and souvenirs.
  6. Stay offsite for less. Some offsite resorts even participate in EMH.
We would save about $1000 by getting FD. I'm sure gonna miss it! :(
Our dates are already chosen with little work around.
We like to park hop as it makes it easier to plan meals.
I'll definitely check out those sites on the ticket prices and I've already started with the gift cards!! :)

Thank you for your suggestions!

we have saved on resorts during or last 2 visits by purchasing points May visit and booking on Priceline January. I was amazed by the huge discounts you could get on priceline through express deals and they are always posting codes for percentage off. I learned about both these great ways to book a Disney resort on Disboard.
I purchase discount Starbucks cards for breakfast in the park. Im also the crazy lady who SwagBucks, Shop Kicks and Ibottas

we have saved on resorts during or last 2 visits by purchasing points May visit and booking on Priceline January. I was amazed by the huge discounts you could get on priceline through express deals and they are always posting codes for percentage off. I learned about both these great ways to book a Disney resort on Disboard.
I purchase discount Starbucks cards for breakfast in the park. Im also the crazy lady who SwagBucks, Shop Kicks and Ibottas
I have tried to use them but never seem to buy anything that has offers. I do get .10 every week for my receipt. :laughing:

Last edited:
If you're staying onsite and using a dining plan, it's going to be expensive no matter how you slice it. There are plenty of tips to save a buck here or there, which is great, it's still expensive.

We are on the far extreme end of things, but we stay offsite and bring all of our own food in. We spend probably 70% less than most people do for food/lodging combined.

If you're staying onsite and using a dining plan, it's going to be expensive no matter how you slice it. There are plenty of tips to save a buck here or there, which is great, it's still expensive.

We are on the far extreme end of things, but we stay offsite and bring all of our own food in. We spend probably 70% less than most people do for food/lodging combined.

I know its going to be expensive with the room and dining plan so discounts on tickets at least would be wonderful! I've always booked straight through Disney for everything so I wasn't sure where to get them at a discount.

I know its going to be expensive with the room and dining plan so discounts on tickets at least would be wonderful! I've always booked straight through Disney for everything so I wasn't sure where to get them at a discount.
You cannot get *free* dining without purchasing your tickets thru Disney as a part of the *free* dining package. If you decide to pay for a dining plan, there is such a thing as a “ticketless dining package”. You have to call to book one. They cannot be booked online. So, it might be possible to get a room discount, pay for the dining plan and purchase tickets thru one of the online retailers.

Tickets are honestly where you will find the LEAST amount of discounting.
You can get tickets through Undercover Tourist or ParkSavers, but i've done the math and really what you're saving is equivalent (or close to) what the taxes are on the tickets. SOMETIMES UT has had a good Buy 4 days get 2 days free deal, but I haven't seen that in a while.
If you choose to go during a non-peak time, you will pay less for your tickets under the new price structure than if you go during a peak time. So it might help to be flexible on your traveling time.

Also, if you are REALLY budget-conscious, consider staying offsite. Depending on your length of stay, you can find timeshare rentals and even regular hotels that are offsite but less per night than the Disney hotels. You might have to give up the dining plan, but then you might find that you'll save more staying offsite and paying out of pocket for food (if you get a timeshare they often have a full kitchen, and there are a few reputable grocery delivery services in the area).

You cannot get *free* dining without purchasing your tickets thru Disney as a part of the *free* dining package. If you decide to pay for a dining plan, there is such a thing as a “ticketless dining package”. You have to call to book one. They cannot be booked online. So, it might be possible to get a room discount, pay for the dining plan and purchase tickets thru one of the online retailers.

I am aware, thank you. :) My questions are in case there are no discounts or room only discounts.

I am aware, thank you. :) My questions are in case there are no discounts or room only discounts.
And my advice was about ticketless dining packages.

Honestly, you seem more intent on shooting down ideas than you are about being open to them. Good luck with your quest to save on your trip. I’m done with trying to help you.

And my advice was about ticketless dining packages.

Honestly, you seem more intent on shooting down ideas than you are about being open to them. Good luck with your quest to save on your trip. I’m done with trying to help you.

Umm ok? I'm not sure what you are upset about? There are things my family is not willing to budge on, so I'm not shooting down anything. I'm aware there most likely won't be free dining and we are ok with paying outright for it. We like to stay onsite and know it will cost an arm and a leg. I would just like to save in other ways if possible. Thank you for your help. I'm sorry if I came across wrong.

Some offsite resorts even participate in EMH.

:sad1::sad2: What resorts would that be? This is certainly disappointing to hear for those of us that always stay on site.

We only live 2 hours away, but still always go and stay on site, as it just doesn't seem the same not to.

@KearneyFam02 , moving to Florida brought down our costs dramatically. :rolleyes1 Obviously, not a feasible option for everyone, but now we pay the cost of a fast food meal, monthly, for our weekday APs and go all the time. We have a camper and eat our meals there, instead of paying crazy Disney food prices. The only exception is fish at Yorkshire County in UK, Epcot. We always eat there once per trip because ... YUMMY! :mickeybar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter