Best West End show for 13 & 11 yr old in July 2022

ngl

DIS Veteran
Really hoping our trip to DL Paris is a go this summer with a few days after in London. Hoping some UK Disboards members can help! Took kids to see Aladdin in NYC on Broadway a few years back and they loved it. Trying to decide what show would be best for them now. Daughter is 13, son is 11. My husband & I last saw Wicked in the West End 15 yrs ago and still talk about it. Down to that, Frozen, and Lion King. Pros/cons for the shows and the theaters they are in as we do not have much insight into that. Also, any recommendations regarding the best place to buy tickets for the shows is greatly appreciated!

We are planning to spend a few days in London this summer too, and our kids are similar ages to yours. They voted to see Matilda The Musical while we are there. Hopefully, a local will have a few recommendations too. lovetheatre.com has also been very helpful for seeing all the shows available.

Reactions: ngl
Lion King is very good, the puppetry/costumes are really impressive. I guess in the case of both it and Frozen of course it depends on if they liked the original movies or not.

I loved Matilda and I am one of the few people who think the Lion King on stage is boring. With the Lion King you have to go for the opening scene, which is absolutely amazing, and for the rest just watch the animation.

Will go to see Frozen in a few months, and I can't wait!

I have a ticket for Frozen in a few weeks, so I cannot comment on that, but I think Mary Poppins is far superior to the Lion King. The latter I think is starting to show its age. Also, a lot of the ideas of the show have been reused in other shows in the parks. For example, the Lion King sequence in the "mickey and the magician" Disneyland Paris show has similar puppets and pride rock, you have a sense of deja vue the whole show. Mary Poppins has great songs in addition to the Sherman Brother's ones and it's enough different from the film (a bit darker, more adherent to the original story) to make it a fresh new show, not just a retelling of the film you know. And scenografy is incredible. I'm not going to spoil anything, but 5 minutes in I was left with my mouth open (yes, like a codfish :) ).

I have a ticket for Frozen in a few weeks, so I cannot comment on that, but I think Mary Poppins is far superior to the Lion King. The latter I think is starting to show its age. Also, a lot of the ideas of the show have been reused in other shows in the parks. For example, the Lion King sequence in the "mickey and the magician" Disneyland Paris show has similar puppets and pride rock, you have a sense of deja vue the whole show. Mary Poppins has great songs in addition to the Sherman Brother's ones and it's enough different from the film (a bit darker, more adherent to the original story) to make it a fresh new show, not just a retelling of the film you know. And scenografy is incredible. I'm not going to spoil anything, but 5 minutes in I was left with my mouth open (yes, like a codfish :) ).
Did you see Frozen yet? Would love your comparison of MP and Frozen. Thanks!

Did you see Frozen yet? Would love your comparison of MP and Frozen. Thanks!
Yes I saw it and I loved it, Disney at its best.
Great special effects, the new songs are very good too and of course many of the originals are new classics. The cast is incredibly talented.
Overall I'd still say MP is the best of the three, but I might be biased by the fact the original movie is my favourite Disney film.

Reactions: ngl
We thought Matilda was brilliant. Better than Mary Poppins, wicked or Frozen, though none of them were bad. (MP was not to my taste though)

We thought Matilda was brilliant. Better than Mary Poppins, wicked or Frozen, though none of them were bad. (MP was not to my taste though)
Thanks so much for this. Still trying to decide and need to do so in the next week or so! What did you not like re MP? My one concern is the length of the show - about 40 min longer than others. Would love to hear your feedback. Much appreciated!

I'm not a big fan of the books and it follows them more closely than the film. Mary Poppins is not a nice person.

We are in London now and got to see Matilda the Musical this past Wednesday! Absolutely fantastic! One of the most creative and enjoyable shows I've seen! Even my hubby got into it...he didn't know the Matilda story at all beforehand, and he got a kick out of the Trunchbull character! We saw Maisie Mardle in the title role and she was amazing! Highly recommend!

Frozen is sensational
COVID restrictions ended both our trips to London to see Frozen, still not managed to see it.

Beauty and the Beast is just amazing, I've seen it three times and planning another trip in November. I cried twice every single time, during Be Our Guest and when Belle and the Beast dance. I could cry now it's so moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter