Better Late Than Never ~ 13 Oct Surprise, Birthday, Free Dining, Pop TR UPDATE 2/16

It's been a long time since my last update. I've got it ready to go. Now I just have to figure out this new website.

Today was the day we had been waiting for. When I say we, I mean me and Hope because Dave really doesn’t care. Today we were going to WWOHP! We had early access and were ready to make the most of it.

I went to get everyone breakfast at Everything Pop at 6:19 so I got to use my drink carrier again. Because it was so early, the Pop waffles were the only thing open. And this sign was out.

We made pretty good time. In less than an hour we had gotten ready and had breakfast and we were in the car for 7:05, but then Dave realized he left his sunglasses in the room and had to go back to get them. He must have fast walked because he was back in 8 mins.

For those of you keeping track he has had to go back to the room for his medicine, the car keys and now his sunglasses.

We parked in the same area as the last time (Spiderman) but I didn’t take a picture so I can’t tell you the number. There were maybe 4 cars in the parking garage that morning.

When we got to the gates someone checks your ticket to see if you have early admission. The person kindly pointed out that the tickets in our hands were for Citywalk. Oh, Dave you got out the wrong ones. He gets his wallet out. There aren’t any more tickets. He looks everywhere. I’m getting sick at this point. I then head over the guest relations to see what they could do. Yes, they could print us new tickets. Thank you Jesus!

We then got in line and the gates opened 5 mins before time. We booked it to Olivanders.

We took the shortcut, but it seems most people knew about the short cut.

My pictures are a bit fuzzy because I took them while I was fast walking.

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1345.jpg.html

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1347.jpg.html

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1347.jpg.html

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

While it was cool and great to be there, I think I hyped WWOHP up a bit too much and it couldn’t live up to the hype. Don’t get me wrong, it was still great.

When we got to Olivander’s there was one lady and her daughter in front of us.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

Olivander’s assistant picked Hope. We were so excited.

[/URL
]

I think the shirt helped. At the time we owned a sign/shirt shop, so we made the shirt.

She only wanted to buy the wand if it actually worked. So we took a picture of the wand that chose her.

At 7:54 we used Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom and Hope said the soap almost looks like dragon blood. I don’t know where she comes up with this stuff. I'm really glad I had read ahead of time that you can hear Myrtle in the restroom, otherwise we may not have gone in there.

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1412.jpg.html
Please ignore the ugly bag around my waist. We wanted to avoid using the lockers.

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1414.jpg.html

P
art of me really wants to go back to ride the Hogwarts Express, but I know it will be a least a few years before we go back to Universal.

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1417.jpg.html

We stopped by the Hogs Head to look at the shadows of the house elves.

We didn’t eat at the Three Broomsticks…maybe next time.

We decided to check out the rest of the park and come back to WWOHP at the end of the day.

Backstoy: Dave & I rode Spiderman in 2003 with his Mom, Dad, brother and 2 nieces. I was the only one out of our group to ever visit IOA and I told his Mom what she would and wouldn’t like. She didn’t want to ride anything scary or spinny or that moved too much. I hadn’t been there since 1999 and told her Spiderman was cool and was one of my favorites. It wasn’t until we were on the ride in 2003 that I realized it was probably a bit much for her. But she loved it. I can still see the look on her face when I turned back to peek during the fall and she was having a ball. It’s one of my favorite memories of her.

[/

Anyways, back in 2013 Hope decides she does not want to ride. So we do child swap. While we are waiting in the room and Dave is riding she decides she wants to ride after all, so we went. She didn’t like it. But at least Dave got to ride twice.

Next up was Suess and she enjoyed all of those.

Cat in the Hat looks to me like it can use an update. I don’t normally notice those kinds of things, but I noticed it on this ride.

We stopped for a pressed penny.

Dave decided to sit out and take pictures of us on One Fish Two Fish. Dave is a smart man.

Hope drove and got me super wet, I mean full in the face wet.

So she got to ride by herself the second time.

We did the Caro-Seuss-El twice

to be continued!

Then we played around a bit

[

We really like the Lorax (and when I say we, I’m not really sure on where Dave stands with this.)

We did Sky High Trolley. Only one side was open and it was the side that doesn’t go through the restaurant. It was the side with the woman that named all her kids Dave. I thought that was hilarious.

We enjoyed it and would have gone on the other side if it had been open.

And here’s another pressed penny to add to the collection.

It was getting warmer and we decided it was time to get wet, so we headed to the Bluto ride.

We rode 3 times and we got soaked! It was great. This was probably the most fun we had at Universal.

It's always interesting to hear people in line that think they won't get that wet. Once we had a family in our barge with ponchos. They got very wet. It was very funny. We laughed and giggled quite a bit.

When we vacationed with Dave’s parents here, his Dad LOVED shooting the water cannon at the people coming off of the log ride. We have video of him cracking up and us digging for quarters. In memory of him, we put a quarter in the machine he used all those years ago.

And shot some dry people for Grandpa.

http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Late Than Never/11-1/20131101_124646.jpg.html
We then rode Rip Saw Falls ourselves. Once again, Hope didn’t want to do that one but we talked her into it. She didn’t want to ride a second time and she didn’t like it. She didn’t want to do Jurrasic Park (are you seeing a theme here?) but we made her do it and she didn’t like it.

T
his must have been a scary part because Hope has her fingers in her ears again.
http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Late Than Never/11-1/20131101_130239.jpg.html

Hope was starting to get cold and we were done with the water rides, so we went in the bathroom and changed her clothes.

2:52PM Dino Store ~ She bought a ‘bag your own rocks’ deal for $6.95. Now to me that seemed like a waste of money, but it was her money so I didn’t say anything. The rocks she got are magnetic and she still plays with those, long after Hedwig and the Indy costume have been forgotten.

She then played in the JP play place for a while. Dave and I sat in the sun and tried to dry out a bit.

Then we went to the JP activity area, which she enjoyed. We stayed there for quite a while.

We decided to head back to WWOHP to try a butterbeer. And Dave took some pictures on the way. I think Hope was starting to feel bad again and didn’t want to be in the pictures.

We purchased our first ever Butterbeer for $3.75 at 3:01.

Hope and I thought it was horrible.

I'm handing it to Dave in the picture. Dave drank it so I guess he didn’t think it was horrible.

We should have gotten the frozen one.
We will try the frozen one next time.

Then we took a few more pictures.

After the nastiness that was butterbeer we got Pumpkin Juice which was $6.25 or something ridiculous like that.

It was also horrible. It tasted like cold liquid pumpkin pie. Dave likes pumpkin pie and he still didn’t like it.

We started to head toward the exit and stopped for a few minutes to watch the fountain. We spent quite a bit of time here with my nieces and I thought Hope would enjoy it. She did, but she just wasn't feeling good. Before long she was ready to go.

Hope wanted to walk through If I Ran the Zoo on the way out.

I swear we went there for Hope and not Dave.
I'm not sure why I only took pictures of him.

On the way out Dave did a survey. That took way longer than we expected.

But finally we were on the moving sidewalk.
I would really like if they put these at Disney. I'm not sure where...but I like them.

Then we went to find our car. Only, it wasn’t there. We went up a floor, it wasn’t there and that didn’t look right so we went back down.

After about 20 mins of searching we gave up and I called security. They asked me a few questions including what time we got there.

Apparently we parked on the 5th floor. I’m still not sure how we didn’t remember driving up there but the car was there…go figure.
http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Better Late Than Never/11-1/IMG_1475.jpg.html
We were back at Pop and poolside by 5:00. That really sounds crazy to me as I write this since my plan was to close down the park with them shooing us out. But between Hope wanting to swim, her not feeling good and her being uneasy about some (most) of the rides, things just didn't go the way I expected.

I spent some time reflecting and making notes for this report while Dave and Hope played in the pool. The plan was that eventually I would get in the pool as well. Tomorrow there is rain in the forecast so this will probably be the last swim of this year. Dave mentioned to me 2 or 3 nights ago how much he was enjoying this vacation because Hope was spending time with him, walking with him, holding his hand, wanting to ride with him. Before this trip Hope always wanted to be with me. I think once we started to homeschool and she got to spend more time with me, she felt more secure and branched out to spend time with other people. I also reflected on Hope wanted to be back at the hotel every day to swim. It seems like we need vacations where we spend time together having fun and not running from one thing to another. Commando touring no longer seems to work for us. We’ll see what the next trip brings.

I worked on TR notes for an hour. At this time I notice the sky is getting dark. I have goose bumps and I’m not wet. I decided not to get into the pool and my child was in tears over this. It made me feel a bit like a bad mom, but I know I’m a good mom most of the time so I didn’t let it get me too upset.

They got out of the pool and we had a last dinner at Pop around 7:30PM. Tomorrow it will be time to drive home. Maybe we will go to Blizzard Beach for a few hours, but we’ll decide that in the morning.

What a wonderful day at Islands of Adventure! :cloud9:

How fabulous that Hope was picked at Ollivanders! :yay:

I absolutely understand about the fanny pack - I did the same thing in 2012 in order to bring my camera into locker-centric attractions! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry that you and Hope didn't like the Butterbeer! I preferred the frozen to the carbonated, but I was happy to drink either one!

What a wonderful day at Islands of Adventure! :cloud9:

How fabulous that Hope was picked at Ollivanders! :yay:

I absolutely understand about the fanny pack - I did the same thing in 2012 in order to bring my camera into locker-centric attractions! :thumbsup2

I'm sorry that you and Hope didn't like the Butterbeer! I preferred the frozen to the carbonated, but I was happy to drink either one!

It was a good day. One day we'll go back.

From the first time she heard about Ollivanders she wanted to be in the 'show.' I knew the odds were against us. Then I came up with the idea of the shirt to make her stand out a bit. I had worked into my plans to try twice in the morning and a third time just before park closing. It was great that she got picked on the first round and we didn't have to do the show over and over again.

I can't remember what was in my fanny pack. Of course we had to have a camera, but I'm not sure what else. To be honest, I can't remember why Dave and I both needed to wear one. His is huge and should have been all we needed.

I wish we had thought to try the frozen one instead. Oh well, now we have another reason to go back.

How funny that you forgot where you parked. Bummer that she didn't like the rides but I get that. Its one of those it seems cool in theory but the actual execution is a different story.

How funny that you forgot where you parked. Bummer that she didn't like the rides but I get that. Its one of those it seems cool in theory but the actual execution is a different story.

Hey, we didn't forget where we parked. We just forgot the elevator part. :rotfl2: I think we will wait a few years to revisit Universal. Maybe when she's a bit older she'll more of the rides.

Thanks for sharing your adventure at Universal! I haven't been but expect I will sometime in the future since Haley is reading the Harry Potter series now. She is on the fourth book. If I do, I will have to refer back to your report or ask you some questions. Right now, it is far in the distant future.

The more I read your reports, the more I see that Haley and Hope have in common. Both are reluctant to ride many rides at first and have to be talked into some rides. And many times they like it but often do not. Haley would love to spend most of the day swimming!!!

Oh, and I loved your subtle comment about Hope having to ride the One Fish, Two Fish alone the second time. I thought that was funny! I would have opted out of swimming too when it was getting cloudy and late. In fact, on our second day at the pool on our trip, I swam for a little bit with her but then I had to go sit in the hot tub while she swam in the big pool alone. I kept my eye on her the whole time. It was just way too cold for me. The outside temp was probably in the low 60's maybe even 50's but she wanted to swim and it was in the negatives at home!

I loved looking through your Universal pics!!! Everything looks amazing - I'm hoping to take DS there in the next year or so (and I'm a huge Harry Potter fan)!!!

Thanks for sharing!

I'm here to make my final entry.

On our last day we woke up to rain. It was the only rain of our trip and it didn’t look like it was going to let up anytime soon. Blizzard Beach was not going to work out. As I’m sure you can guess, Hope did not take this news well.

We packed up a bit and then headed to breakfast.

Our last break at Everything Pop was French toast bounty platter at 9:21. I guess we weren't in a hurry that day.

After breakfast we went shopping in the Pop gift shop. I had around $100 of rewards dollars left on my card that would expire in less than two months, so we used that to buy some souvenirs. 10:24AM Everything Pop Shop ~ $91.22 I know we got a key necklace for Hope for Christmas, and I got myself a keychain, muffin pan, hot pad, and I’m not really sure what else we got. That left $6.98 left on the card so I let Hope buy a bag of cheddar popcorn for $7.40 to finish off our Reward Dollars.

And Hope got more pressed pennies.

We finished packing up and packed the car and then drove to AOA for one last meal. We really liked some of the choices at AOA.

11:27AM Landscapes of Flavors (AOA) ~ I loved the create your own pasta, I wish I had learned about it earlier in the trip ($12.24), crisped rice, milk, pizza, salad, strawberry banana, dessert

[/URL
http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Late Than Never/11-2/20131102_113343.jpg.html
]

[URL=http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vleeth/media/Trip%20Report%202013%20-%20Better%20Late%20Than%20Never/11-2/20131102_113346.jpg.html][/URL
http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vl...Late Than Never/11-2/20131102_113346.jpg.html]

By 1:40 we were on our way home and Hope was taking a nap.

[URL=http://s390.photobucket.com/user/vleeth/media/Trip%20Report%202013%20-%20Better%20Late%20Than%20Never/11-2/20131102_134010.jpg.html]

Having to go home was not fun. But we'll back in December. Here is my pre-trip report. http://www.disboards.com/threads/ssshhhh-this-time-its-a-secret-dec-2015-mvmcp-pre-trip-report.3335506/page-4#post-53337662
[/url][/url]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter