• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

Part 37 – A bit of everything

I started the next morning at Magic Kingdom and Christmas was out in all its glory.

I had three FP booked but can only remember two (or only have proof for two).

I definitely rode Buzz but didn’t do as well this time

And also, in Tomorrowland – I managed to hit up Space Mountain. I tried to do an over the top face but also forgot the camera was off to the side, so I ended up with this beauty.

I also rode Dumbo for the first time – and I really enjoyed it (maybe this was my third FP?).

After a few hours at MK I headed to Disney Springs for lunch.

A short bus ride later and I was there. I was having lunch at the newish at the time – D’Luxe Burger.

I ordered the Turkey Burger and fries. I thought it was just ok – nothing to write home about.

I wandered around the Springs for a while and then headed back to Beach Club for a rest.

I had an ADR that evening in Epcot, so I walked the five minutes from my room to international gateway and was soon on my way.

I was trying the highly rated/recommended Pizza Napoli.

I ordered what appears to be a raspberry Bellini and a pizza.

This was another disappointment. I don’t know if it’s because I travelled through Italy before or because my family background is Italian, but this was just average suburban Italian and definitely not worth they hype to me.

Nothing on the dessert menu there intrigued me, so I paid my bill and walked over to Germany to grab something from Karamel Kuche. I picked up the caramel apple cookie and it was delicious.

And then I made the trek back to my room. After a while I could hear fireworks so I made my out to the boardwalk and watched what must have been the HS fireworks behind the Boardwalk.

And then that was a wrap on that mixed bag kind of a day.

Next up – The Crescent Lake Crawl

Last edited:
I started the next morning at Magic Kingdom and Christmas was out in all its glory.
How did that feel to go from Halloween to Christmas so suddenly?
That's it??? What the heck???

;)
I tried to do an over the top face but also forgot the camera was off to the side, so I ended up with this beauty.

"OMG! This dude's head! It's amazingly lifelike!"
I also rode Dumbo for the first time
Thoughts? Impressions?
I was having lunch at the newish at the time – D’Luxe Burger.
On my to-do list. :)
(But will get a beef burger, not the turkey.)
I was trying the highly rated/recommended Pizza Napoli.
Uh, huh... not by me...
This was another disappointment. I don’t know if it’s because I travelled through Italy before or because my family background is Italian, but this was just average suburban Italian and definitely not worth they hype to me.
THANK YOU.
It gets such rave reviews for such mediocre pizza.
I really have to wonder if people just are used to lousy pizza?
I picked up the caramel apple cookie and it was delicious.
mmmmm...

It was kind of my fault - they were from the character warehouse and they didn't have my exact size so I risked getting a half size smaller in the hopes they'd stretch. The clearly didn't and I paid the price :lmao:

Oh no new shoes can be so unpredictable :confused3

Between that and the fillet it made me cross Le Cellier of my want to try list. I'm sure it's better in the restaurant but for the prices they charge I really want it to be guaranteed to be good!

Yeah, we've had good filets at the festival in the past, but last two years we got really chewy ones that we could barely cut. I agree, I've always wanted to try, but with the mixed reviews and for the prices I'd rather just go to somewhere I know the steak is good.

How did that feel to go from Halloween to Christmas so suddenly?

I like it. I suppose if I was Thanksgiving I'd be annoyed that Disney skips right over me but I love Christmas so the more Christmas in the parks the better. (Although not at my house - Christmas does not start until 1 Dec there).

Thoughts? Impressions?

I liked it. Yes its clearly a ride for smaller children but there is just something so fun about 'flying'

On my to-do list. :)
(But will get a beef burger, not the turkey.)

I think I was trying to be healthy by getting the turkey but I guess they're known for their beef so I should have stuck with that!

THANK YOU.
It gets such rave reviews for such mediocre pizza.
I really have to wonder if people just are used to lousy pizza?

I guess if you've only had Dominos or Pizza Hut it's good pizza but it's really not when compared to anything else. And in fact I'd probably rather have a cheap $5 Pizza Hut pizza than pay $20 for something pretending to be fancy!

Yeah, we've had good filets at the festival in the past, but last two years we got really chewy ones that we could barely cut. I agree, I've always wanted to try, but with the mixed reviews and for the prices I'd rather just go to somewhere I know the steak is good.

I haven't commented but I have been reading through your latest TR for ideas for my upcoming trip - your reviews have really got me excited to be back in Orlando again after three years!

Part 38 – The Crescent Lake Crawl

Today was a non-park day during the day as I had MVMCP that night and was saving my last park ticket for the next day.

So how was I going to spend the morning when staying at the Beach Club? Well I decided to do the crescent lake crawl – or in other words drink at all the hotels on the lake.

It was a late start as I did not need to get up early and I didn’t want to start drinking until at least 11!

First up was the Boardwalk. Now AbracadaBar wasn’t open back then so I went with BoardWalk Joe’s Marvelous Margaritas.

I don’t like Margaritas, so I got the Captain’s Seaside Sensation -Dole Whip Smoothie with Captain Morgan Rum ($12.00). This was delicious and fruity enough to not taste too alcoholic that early in the morning.

Next up was the Swan and I stopped at the pool bar – Splash Pool Bar and Grill. I stuck with a standard cocktail there – the Frozen Pina Colada ($14.00).

I knew I would need food and the next drink I wanted to try was in a restaurant anyway, so I made my way over to the Dolphin and got a table at the Fountain.

I ordered the Turkey Burger with Fries ($18.00) and the drink I’d been waiting for – the Grasshopper Shake - Minty Chip Ice Cream, Bailey's, Crème de Cocoa, Milk, topped with Whipped Cream, Crème de Menthe & Grasshopper Cookies ($9.75). It was delicious but the food was only ok.

And here is where I failed. It was hot and I could just not handle any more alcohol, so I only made it 3/5s of the way around the crawl :sad:

But I was smart enough to put my health in front of completing a challenge and that just means I can attempt it again another time!

I made my way back to the Beach Club and got changed – I was heading back to MK for the MVCMP and knew I could get in at 4 and was trying to time it to arrive right around then.

Next up – Christmas in November

Last edited:
I like it. I suppose if I was Thanksgiving I'd be annoyed that Disney skips right over me but I love Christmas so the more Christmas in the parks the better.
:laughing:
Poor Thanksgiving!
(Another holiday that you probably don't give a hoot about.)
(Although not at my house - Christmas does not start until 1 Dec there).
Good girl. You had me worried there for a second.
I liked it. Yes its clearly a ride for smaller children but there is just something so fun about 'flying'
:) Glad you liked it.
I think I was trying to be healthy by getting the turkey but I guess they're known for their beef so I should have stuck with that!
Never go to a steak house and order fish...
I guess if you've only had Dominos or Pizza Hut it's good pizza but it's really not when compared to anything else. And in fact I'd probably rather have a cheap $5 Pizza Hut pizza than pay $20 for something pretending to be fancy!
Good point. When I eat Dominos or Pizza Hut (which is very seldom), I know what I'm getting. Sub-par pizza. When I pay more, at a good place, I do so knowing I'm getting a good pizza.
So...

Well I decided to do the crescent lake crawl – or in other words drink at all the hotels on the lake.
Ohhhh... I was wondering what you were up to.
It was a late start as I did not need to get up early and I didn’t want to start drinking until at least 11!
But... it's after 5 in Australia!
I got the Captain’s Seaside Sensation -Dole Whip Smoothie with Captain Morgan Rum ($12.00). This was delicious and fruity enough to not taste too alcoholic that early in the morning.
Nope. Not a Rum fan.
Next up was the Swan
Oh! I thought you were just doing the three Boardwalk resorts. Cool!
the Frozen Pina Colada
Nope. Coconut.
I ordered the Turkey Burger with Fries
Again???
the Grasshopper Shake - Minty Chip Ice Cream, Bailey's, Crème de Cocoa, Milk, topped with Whipped Cream, Crème de Menthe & Grasshopper Cookies ($9.75). It was delicious but the food was only ok.
Hmmm... I'm not a fan of Bailey's, but... I think I'd try this one. It sounds good as long as there wasn't a strong Bailey's taste and I'd think the rest of the ingredients would help that.
It was hot and I could just not handle any more alcohol, so I only made it 3/5s of the way around the crawl :sad:
But I was smart enough to put my health in front of completing a challenge and that just means I can attempt it again another time!
:goodvibes

Nope. Not a Rum fan.

Even if the drink tastes 95% of fruit?

Oh! I thought you were just doing the three Boardwalk resorts. Cool!

Well technically S&D are on the Boardwalk. But yes just doing the three Disney ones would probably have been smarter and more achievable!

Well a good turkey burger is actually really tasty....

Hmmm... I'm not a fan of Bailey's, but... I think I'd try this one. It sounds good as long as there wasn't a strong Bailey's taste and I'd think the rest of the ingredients would help that.

It definitely tasted mainly of mint so I think you'd be fine with this one.

Oh I think our weather has switched BTW. We have a top of 17 today and tomorrow with lows around 0
:cold:

Even if the drink tastes 95% of fruit?
Maybe...

Maybe.
Well technically S&D are on the Boardwalk. But yes just doing the three Disney ones would probably have been smarter and more achievable!
True. I just... always forget that.

And... maybe? :laughing:
Well a good turkey burger is actually really tasty....
Are you sure? You're 0 for 2 so far. :lmao:
Oh I think our weather has switched BTW. We have a top of 17 today and tomorrow with lows around 0
:cold:
I took a look our weathers are pretty similar (except for your highs).

Are you sure? You're 0 for 2 so far. :lmao:

I swear good turkey burgers do exist - just clearly not at Disney!

I took a look our weathers are pretty similar (except for your highs).

I'm disappointed by American highs to be honest - I miss my really hot Australian summers - give me a good 110F/44C and I'm a happy girl. Its currently 12F/-11C with a windchill bringing it way down -3F/-20C and it is not pleasant going outside!

I swear good turkey burgers do exist - just clearly not at Disney!
Nope.
I don't believe you.
I'm disappointed by American highs to be honest - I miss my really hot Australian summers - give me a good 110F/44C and I'm a happy girl.
OMG... :faint:
Its currently 12F/-11C with a windchill bringing it way down -3F/-20C and it is not pleasant going outside!
Colder than here. With the windchill it's -13C. So I took the dogs out for a long walk. They love the cold. (Well... not too cold. Then it's too hard on their paws.)

77C5194C-C758-439C-86DA-B3DF4EA069F0.jpeg

Colder than here. With the windchill it's -13C. So I took the dogs out for a long walk. They love the cold. (Well... not too cold. Then it's too hard on their paws.)

View attachment 448622

Ok they're adorable fluffballs aren't they? Our two dogs have worked out that if they stick to the side of the house when they go out for a bathroom break there is less snow and they get less cold!

I on the other hand am hating life this morning. Waiting for my train at 6:30 in the dark and it is -16C with a wind-chill bringing it down to -20C. Why did I chose to live somewhere that gets so cold????

Ok they're adorable fluffballs aren't they?
::yes::
Our two dogs have worked out that if they stick to the side of the house when they go out for a bathroom break there is less snow and they get less cold!
What kind of dogs do you have?
I on the other hand am hating life this morning. Waiting for my train at 6:30 in the dark and it is -16C with a wind-chill bringing it down to -20C. Why did I chose to live somewhere that gets so cold????
… so why did you?
"Denver? Mountains? Sounds lovely!"

What kind of dogs do you have?

Excuse the sideways photo - uploading from my phone. The big big is Yoshi and he was my husband's dog before we got married and the little girl is Edie and she moved over here from Australia with me.

… so why did you?
"Denver? Mountains? Sounds lovely!"

My husband moved here before we got married and I kind of had to follow him!

The big big is Yoshi and he was my husband's dog before we got married and the little girl is Edie and she moved over here from Australia with me.
What's Edie think of snow? Actually... I think you said your DH was from the Atlanta area? How's Yoshi like it?
My husband moved here before we got married and I kind of had to follow him!
You didn't suggest he move to Florida?????

What's Edie think of snow? Actually... I think you said your DH was from the Atlanta area? How's Yoshi like it?

They both tolerate it - but the level varies on how cold the air temps are. Yoshi loves playing in it if it's not absolutely frigid outside.

You didn't suggest he move to Florida?????

Not back then. But I did suggest it this morning as I was trying to walk into work!

They both tolerate it - but the level varies on how cold the air temps are. Yoshi loves playing in it if it's not absolutely frigid outside.
Then they do the "dance of the three legged dog" as we call it. One paw up, then the other.
Then it's "Uh, oh. Too cold out for pups."
Not back then. But I did suggest it this morning as I was trying to walk into work!
:laughing: I'll bet!

Part 39 – Christmas in November

I arrived just after 4pm and soon enough I was in the park. My main goal that night was to visit Jack in Santa gear so headed over towards the area he was supposed to be meeting to get my bearings. I knew from previous years he started meeting early before the official start time of 7pm.

When I got there around 4:20 the line was already starting. I didn’t want to miss out, so I decided to forgo my FP and just wait for Jack instead. It was a long and boring wait with lots of fake starts (he’s coming out – no he’s not). I think just after 6pm he made his appearance and I was meeting him at 6:15. So it was still a two hour wait as it would have been later in the party but at least I didn’t waste party time.

And it was a great meet – he was fantastic.

After the meet and greet I was starving so I headed over to Pinocchio Village Haus for a Chicken Sandwich – the queue didn’t seem too bad, but it moved so slowly, and it took about half an hour to get anything.

I headed over to Tomorrowland and rode SM and got some of the cookies and hot cocoa.

None of the cookies that year were worth writing home about or even taking pictures of!

I crisscrossed across the park and went to ride Jingle Cruise and BTMRR.

I also met a friendly bear along the way.

Then it was time to stake out a spot for the parade. I ended up just outside Tomorrowland with a side on view of the Castle.

I tried to take photos but let’s just say I couldn’t quite get the camera settings right for things moving in the night!

After the parade and a few more cookies I made my way down main street to get some photos in front of the beautiful Christmas castle.

And I then stayed there to watch the firework show.

And then I was done – that was my last MK day this trip. Overall, I enjoyed MVCMP but not as much as MNSSHP. Although saying that I am going again this year but that’s mainly to get some extra park hours in a very short trip!

Next up – Last Day Blues and Adventures

Last edited:
My main goal that night was to visit Jack in Santa gear
Oh! I didn't know he did that.
When I got there around 4:20 the line was already starting. I didn’t want to miss out, so I decided to forgo my FP and just wait for Jack instead. It was a long and boring wait with lots of fake starts (he’s coming out – no he’s not). I think just after 6pm he made his appearance and I was meeting him at 6:15.
Long dull wait. I've done that (MNSSHP, though). But... like you said, no party time wasted. :)
That looks so strange! Jack in a fur-lined winter suit and you in shorts (and heel saving sandals.)
Is this just after he punched you? I hear he's got a mean right cross.
I headed over to Pinocchio Village Haus for a Chicken Sandwich
How was that? The Haus is on my list... but for the tomato basil soup.
None of the cookies that year were worth writing home about or even taking pictures of!
Well, that's sad.
I tried to take photos but let’s just say I couldn’t quite get the camera settings right for things moving in the night!
Tough to do. ::yes::
that was my last MK day this trip.
:sad1:
Overall, I enjoyed MVCMP but not as much as MNSSHP.
My feelings exactly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter