• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Biergarten for Autistic Child? UPDATE 2/27/07

mrzrich

DIS Veteran
My fear is the communial seating. I would hate for him to disrupt someone else's meal.

I can't comment on the needs of autstic children but we do eat at the Biergarten every trip. I've found that when our kids were younger (and even now - one is 4 yrs old) if we get a seat at the end of the table near the railing that seems to make a big difference for them. Plus it is just us sitting near them and on the other side there is no people I think - either a walkway or the dance/stage area. I"m sure you could explain the seating needs to the staff and they would make an effort to put you in that sort of spot. The downside could be if you request a very specific spot (like next to the stage) you may have a longer wait.

The Biergarten is also a noisy, bustling place - I've always found it great for the kids because they can be a bit noisy (especially when the band plays!) and not be disruptive to others.

I really love the Biergarten! :thumbsup2

We ate at the Biergarten at our last trip, but we had enough people in our group for us the fill the table.
Besides what Selket mentioned, one thing we do for places like that is to try to make reservations for the end of the eating period if possible. That way, as people leave, they don't get replaced and instead of getting more crowded as time goes on, it gets less busy.
I do have to say that the Biergarten is very noisy while the band is playing. If your child with autism likes sensory input, it would be a good place to go. And, however noisy he is, he would probably not be that much bother to others. If he doesn't react well to noisy environments, it might not be a good place for him.

We did it, and actually do it every year. It's one of our favorite places. My son has symptoms of autism, long story...

The Biergarten is a great place to take kids-it's noisy and loud so if loud noises bother him, I wouldn't do it. The first year we tried it, DS7 loved it and ate a ton of food. It was our DD4 that was the problem. She has no disability, but was a total brat, really being a tantrummy problem child. We put her at the end of the table, but she was still a pain. It didn't really disrupt our fellow diners. They were from another country, they had one person with them that spoke English.

I would do it. Give it a try at least. You could always explain the issue to the hostess and ask if they do any kind of accomodating. I had a friend who took her son with autism to Disneyland and they gave them excellent treatment-didn't have to wait in any lines b/c he couldn't etc. They had to get a note from their doctor, but they ended up having a great time.

Linnie The Pooh said:
I had a friend who took her son with autism to Disneyland and they gave them excellent treatment-didn't have to wait in any lines b/c he couldn't etc. They had to get a note from their doctor, but they ended up having a great time.
The card is called a Guest Assistance Card (GAC). We don't have specific information about DisneyLAND, but the in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is some general information about GACs, which applies to both WDW and Disneyland.

Ah, I saw the term GAC before and wondered what it meant! Thanks!

I would guess the Biergarten could make some accomodations for the child. It would be the decent thing to do.

Linnie The Pooh said:
Ah, I saw the term GAC before and wondered what it meant! Thanks!

I would guess the Biergarten could make some accomodations for the child. It would be the decent thing to do.
You're welcome.

I agree with you that Biergarten would probably make some accomidations - it is in everyone's best interest to do so. If they can give the child what he needs to feel comfortable, he and his family will have a better experience and so will the people around them. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

To the OP, just try to figure out what would be the best circumstance for your child and ask if they would be able to provide that. One nice thing about Biergarten is that it is a buffet, so you can go up and get food when you want to and if your child has any 'rules' about his food, (like nothing can touch or no garnishes), you/he will be the one putting it on the plate, so you have more control than in a regular restaurant.

My Aspie LOVES Biergarten! The noise isn't as much of an issue there, for some reason (he's also SID).

I've never mentioned to the hosting cm's about his AS, but I'm sure if you asked for a table at either end, they'd be happy to accommodate. Also, even with being there at busy times, our family of four has typically been seated at a table with a couple that's just about done with their meal.

Give it a try-you'll probably be very surprised.

Suzanne

Several Months later and I just answered my question. Michael LOVED it! He got up and danced, it was a moment that brought me to tears! The child's buffet was a little lacking, but he di eat the mac and cheese, and of course the desserts. We sat with two couples and Michael's behavior was fine...my other DS3 was another story:rolleyes:

Thgis is very common. My neice has a son with HFA (among other things) and the first time at Biergarten he got up and started dancing and interacting with the other children, which according to Brightsy was the first time he had ever initiated social contact with other children.

thanks for the update. I'm glad he liked it. I guess now you have to work on either finding another place for the 3 yr old to eat or getting him to like polkas :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter