Big River Grill is supposedly closing

The food was never great, but then again after ESPN closed, the Boardwalk had no other place where you could just get quick pub-fare type food after a park day - while I love all the interesting international foods and restaurants, higher-end sit-down places, etc - sometimes you want a place that has the standard options like quesadillas, burgers, wings, and beers, etc. Disney has so very few of those left...and Boardwalk really needs that type of place with all the night entertainment that boardwalks are supposed to be about.

DH says the original BRG in Chattanooga closed recently, so maybe this is related. I hope Disney puts something relaxed and casual there!
As Big River is operated by a third-party, its sudden closure indicates, to me, issues with the parent organization. The Boardwalk is conducive to a brewery/restaurant so Disney should not encounter much hardship finding someone to open a similar-concept establishment.

Maybe the operators behind City Works could take over that spot at Boardwalk - similar pub-food type concept and they're already operating inside Disney World.

I am excited to hear what the announce for the space. The food and service was not great and I don’t think it fits the BW theme. Hoping whatever goes in moves in quicker than the bake shop.

Tried it once. Absolutely the worst table service meal we've ever had on property. Seriously mediocre, and the service experience wasn't great. The beer was fine. Hopefully what replaces it will be better.

We ate there a lot because it was easy to get into and relatively inexpensive when we stayed at a nearby hotel. I really liked their salads, and sitting on the Boardwalk. It was a bummer that they couldn't have a fryer - we missed having an option for fries and chicken fingers, esp for our picky toddler.

I hope Disney opts for another similar price point option in it's place.

Time to once again plug my favorite Boardwalk casual dining - The Fountain at the Dolphin. Good burgers, beer, some sandwiches but more limited menu than BRG, but rarely a wait for a table and quick service. And ice cream!

We ate there a lot because it was easy to get into and relatively inexpensive when we stayed at a nearby hotel. I really liked their salads, and sitting on the Boardwalk. It was a bummer that they couldn't have a fryer - we missed having an option for fries and chicken fingers, esp for our picky toddler.

I hope Disney opts for another similar price point option in it's place.
They have a good kids menu - chicken fingers, fries, grilled cheese, Mac & cheese, etc

That is short notice.

A few times we considered eating here and passed after looking at the menu. I didn’t know they couldn’t have a fryer. Regardless, seeing mash or potato chips as the only sides made us think low effort pub grub. We have a dozen of those near home so other options at WDW always seemed more interesting. The micro-brewery concept is past its peak.

This was our go to day of arrival spot if staying at the YC. Ice cold A/C and good sandwiches.

Time to once again plug my favorite Boardwalk casual dining - The Fountain at the Dolphin. Good burgers, beer, some sandwiches but more limited menu than BRG, but rarely a wait for a table and quick service. And ice cream!
Shh…let’s keep that a secret 😉

Is it bad of me that I forgot about this place entirely and had already assumed it had closed. Hopefully those employees can find other jobs quickly and get back on their feet.

Is it bad of me that I forgot about this place entirely and had already assumed it had closed. Hopefully those employees can find other jobs quickly and get back on their feet.
Pretty much everything on the Boardwalk looks closed, even during xmas-NYE, except the area right in front of Trattoria al Forno. They need to do more to make that place look alive. Closed restaurants are not helping.

Pretty much everything on the Boardwalk looks closed, even during xmas-NYE, except the area right in front of Trattoria al Forno. They need to do more to make that place look alive. Closed restaurants are not helping.

I kinda feel like the area has really struggled since Disney Springs opened. It’s a little more out of the way to get there and there is nothing truly compelling to go there. Like homecomin’ would have been a good fit to draw people there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter