Big River Grill is supposedly closing

Duffy's Sports Bar would be a distinct possibility. One of their board members is already involved in a number of other restaurants at both Disney World and Disneyland.

I suppose some of the issues are the rate at which tables flip and revenue per party. Rent cannot be inexpensive.

I kinda feel like the area has really struggled since Disney Springs opened. It’s a little more out of the way to get there and there is nothing truly compelling to go there. Like homecomin’ would have been a good fit to draw people there.
If they want to make the Boardwalk more of a destination, they also have the parking situation to contend with.

If they want to make the Boardwalk more of a destination, they also have the parking situation to contend with.

I think it could really benefit from having enough to draw people out of DHS and Epcot. And getting people on the Skyliner route to go there. Right now if you are in DHS or Epcot what is really pulling you to pick any of the restaurants there over what is available in DHS or Epcot? And this is from someone that absolutely loves going to Crew's Cup and strolling through those resorts.

Sorry to hear this. It was average but we always had a good burger and beer. Plus, we didn't have to worry with ADR's. Dolphin Fountain it is!

We stay at BWV a lot, and never went there or considered it. Or ESPN. But I do hope some sort of similar type of restaurant moves in that offers something like good burgers, fries, etc, that are TOO overpriced. A sports bar type of place should be able to work there. Haven't tried Cityworks, but it seems to get great reviews, so maybe something like that.

I would love to see a casual QS eatery in this spot open from breakfast through late night. The mainstays of lunch and dinner could incorporate typical east coast fare like half pound or full pound of fried, grilled or boiled shrimp, fried fish, hushpuppies, french fries, chicken strips, chicken wings, loaded baked potatoes, fish sandwiches, burgers, philly cheesesteak, etc. Offer some green salads, shrimp and tuna salad, potato salad, grilled veggie kababs, and a few seafood chowders. Desserts like key lime pie, different flavors of italian ice, chocolate bonbons, taffy apples, candy apples, and tiramisu.

OK. I made myself hungry with this post!!

They had no fryer? Talk about a handicap for a beer/pub/bar restaurant.

When I asked one time about fries, they said they weren't allowed to have one because of their location under the hotel :confused3 A conversation on Disney Food Blog seems similar to the one we had.

If true, that will continue to be a huge issue for any casual restaurant interested in the same IMO.

Definitely this. It was always difficult to find parking there especially when a convention was in session. And now a large part is taken up by the Skyliner turning station. I know the BoardWalk was created and at one time marketed as a destination in itself, but nowadays the parking lot can’t handle that sort of traffic. I think they’d have to start charging for parking, an hourly rate, with restaurants comping a limited number of hours for ADRs. (And free parking for BW Resort guests, of course.)

Is it bad of me that I forgot about this place entirely and had already assumed it had closed. Hopefully those employees can find other jobs quickly and get back on their feet.
I stayed BWI last year and didn’t even know this place was there until this year when looking for something while staying at YC…

I would love to see a casual QS eatery in this spot open from breakfast through late night. The mainstays of lunch and dinner could incorporate typical east coast fare like half pound or full pound of fried, grilled or boiled shrimp, fried fish, hushpuppies, french fries, chicken strips, chicken wings, loaded baked potatoes, fish sandwiches, burgers, philly cheesesteak, etc. Offer some green salads, shrimp and tuna salad, potato salad, grilled veggie kababs, and a few seafood chowders. Desserts like key lime pie, different flavors of italian ice, chocolate bonbons, taffy apples, candy apples, and tiramisu.

OK. I made myself hungry with this post!!
Absolutely this. The area desperately need a cafeteria style or even Captain Cook-ish type quick service. Something that serves a lot of different options and stays open late. The whole dining situation on the Boardwalk is just not set up well as far as Disney resorts go.

Yes, I read somewhere that the main reason the Boardwalk Villas don't have a big QS eatery is because it's so easy for people to go into Epcot to eat. But for that you'd need a park ticket, which makes it so expensive!

Yes, I read somewhere that the main reason the Boardwalk Villas don't have a big QS eatery is because it's so easy for people to go into Epcot to eat. But for that you'd need a park ticket, which makes it so expensive!
Or possibly a park reservation if you have an AP or some ticket types.

We really liked it there the first few times we went, but not good at all during most recent trip, and service was horrible.

Never ate here,,but many flights of beer while siting on patio and people watching. Guess I need to brown bag it now on one of the park benches.

The big problem for me is that the BW area is now down two dining options. They really need to step up the cake shop, we are going on two years now that ESPN has been gone. I have to say it seems longer than that to me, I would have guessed it was three years, but my lookup shows March 2022 ESPN official closed. I sure wish whoever is in charge would get it together and get the cake shop done already.

I think it's because the Villas have a kitchen. The studios have a microwave, small fridge and coffee maker in the unit.

No great loss. We own at BWV and I've never been a fan so I'm looking forward to a new place. I would actually really like another sports bar in that space.

Duffy's Sports Bar would be a distinct possibility. One of their board members is already involved in a number of other restaurants at both Disney World and Disneyland.

I suppose some of the issues are the rate at which tables flip and revenue per party. Rent cannot be inexpensive.
We went the last day and was told by staff there that Big River made bank. Rent is expensive there but they made a LOT. They are thinking Disney shut it down to take over the spot. Big River was not Disney owned and they think the mouse wants the big bucks. I am assuming they will do a similar thing then because the place made money on the bar drinks so they can't just turn it into a quick service. It has to be a bar with TVs. That was the draw. That was the draw at ESPN and they pooped the bed on that one, making it a cake shop. I think they did it to tie it to their wedding pavilion. But not sure it will be a big draw other than that. ANd why has construction stalled there? Who is the owner of the cake shop, Disney or private?

Also heard that pipes from BWV burst and water gushed in there, hard core, from the ceiling. That resort has a massive plumbing issue. But maybe that's the smell, which I smelled again when we went. Mold/mildew maybe. Guessing they will gut it like ESPN and it will take FOREVER to reopen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter