Big stroller news! The InStep Sport Utility double umbrella is BACK!!

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
This stroller was immensely popular with DIS folk when it came out a few years ago, but InStep discontinued it. I just discovered today that it is back on the market, with a few small changes. It is now branded with the Schwinn name.

This is an oversized double-umbrella stroller with two reclining seats, separate flat canopies, baskets, 8-in tires, and adjustable-height handles. It retails for around $130, but right now there are quite a few available through Ebay merchants for between $75 - 88 dollars, + shipping. If you have the patience to bid, you could probably get them for less. (I'm not affiliated with any of those sellers, BTW, I stumbled over these by accident.) Searching for these on Ebay is tricky for some reason; a straight search did not work. You need to first open the category section for Baby, then search for "Schwinn utility"

Here is the link on the InStep website for the specs:

http://instep.net/pages/product_display.php?manuf=1&prod_number=SC700

The single version of the stroller is back, too. Here's hoping that everyone who wants one gets one! Happy Hunting!

Thanks for posting the info here-I had no idea the double was back! I have a single sport-utility stroller from InStep and was considering the double (for my daycare) when it was discontinued. I'll be heading over to eBay and scouring the web till I find one-lol!

For those who are not familiar with these strollers, this is from a company that makes terrific jogging strollers and had made regular strollers for a bit. The suspension on these are great and the handling is the best I have ever seen for an umbrella at this price.

Thanks again OP!

BTW-I went to eBay and just typed in Schwinn double stroller and tons of them popped up for me. Not sure if it was a glitch when you were looking but I was able to find them quickly. HTH!

I like the idea of this stroller if it is lighter weight and folds down smaller than the Graco Duoglider. Could anyone reading this please give me your input on what you think and your comparison of the two. My DDs are going to be almost 3yo and 1.5 yo when we go to Disney World in Dec. however we do a lot of day trips in the summer and if is lighter and folds smaller I'd be happy. The Duoglider is a tandum, however I think if they can both recline fully they would sleep better and also both be able to see. Thanks for all your help. You guys are wonderful.

the rep at InStep said the model SC700 (the one pictured in OP's link) weighs 21 pounds total. I know from experience the Graco DuoGilder weighs about 27-30 pounds or so. I also asked about the weight capacity for the stroller and she said it was 80 pounds total.

Sounds like a great one! Now off to bid or Buy It Now on eBay! :)

It's a little hard to compare the dimensions because a s/s and a tandem are differently shaped, but here goes

SHIPPING WEIGHT: (subtract about 2-3 lbs for package)

Duoglider: 30 lbs.
Schwinn SU2: 20 lbs.

HEIGHT FROM GROUND TO HANDLES (or folded, vert. along handle to wheels):

Duoglider: 41" open / 42" folded
Schwinn SU2: 43" (extends to 51") / 43.5 folded.

WIDTH SIDE-TO-SIDE:

Duoglider: 20.5 open or folded
Schwinn SU2: 33 in. open / 16.5 in. folded

DEPTH FRONT TO BACK (front to rear wheels, + handle)

Duoglider: 37.5" open / 19 inches thick, folded
Schwinn SU2: not clear, but ~ 33" open / 10.5" folded

Generally speaking, when folded, a large single umbrella stroller will be about the size of a golf bag (though lighter, of course!) A double will be about 10 inches wider, but the same length and thickness.

NotUrsula-are you sure about the weight:
SHIPPING WEIGHT: (subtract about 2-3 lbs for package)

Duoglider: 30 lbs.
Schwinn SU2: 20 lbs.

I just got off the phone with the rep and asked her to actual stroller weight and she said it was 21 pounds. I asked her to clarify if that was the weight in the shipping box and she said it was not, it was the stroller weight.

Not trying to discount your info but I am curious where that info came from-thanks!

I'd love it if it was even lighter than 21 pounds!

If you order from JCPenney.com don't forget to use the code GRTSPREE to save 30%!

I'm debating on whether or not to order this, but that discount makes it hard to pass up! $85.98 shipped!

Christine:D

Stupid question here--does telescoping handles mean that they're height adjustable? DH is 6'4" and is always complaining that our stroller is too "short". I've been looking for an economical double stroller that would work well in Disney, this looks like the best one I've seen (I've come close to settling for the Kolcraft basic double model, but I hate that it doesn't have a storage basket, nor is it height adjustable).

Anyone seen these in Penney's B&M? Just occurred to me, Eckerd's has a booklet in their pharmacy that has a $30 gift card coupon for transferring a prescription. Those gift cards are also good at Penney's, which would be a great way to pay for part of it...

Yes, telescoping handles means that it is adjustable, and might at least be a better thing for your tall DH. I haven't seen them locally in the Penneys store but I haven't been there for about a week. I'm planning on calling around locally to see what I can find out. I'll post if I come across one *in person*.

Good luck!

This may seem silly, But where the seat reclines. Is it a soft back? Or is there a bar, Behind the head. I just ordered one online and it came, And well right where the babies heads would rest, is actually a metal cross bar.... I am returning it asap. So I am wondering anyone seen this in person is it soft? or is the support there? Hate to be so picky but, We do not have a J C penny so I figured.Maybe someone would Know? Thanks for any info>>>>

This has the same sort of "recline" mechanism as on the Kolcraft, which you can see just about anywhere. It's not a true recline mechanism, it is an extra fabric gussett on the sides of the seat, which allow a single recline position. Most of these have a strap (or two) that run either across behind the seatback to hold it upright, or around the upright bars in loops; unhook the strap(s) and the seat falls back. More expensive super-umbrellas like the Maclaren (or even the mid-priced Chicco in the photo below) have a hard shield- type plate with cross-hatches that rises up the seatback. Those tend to have multiple recline positions.

Oh, it just occurs to me that by "bar" you might mean a folding brace that runs across between the handles, above the top of the seat back. (Like that visible in this photo of a Chicco Fly3: http://www.strollers4less.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=772430&CFTOKEN=60450310&ItemID=442&CategoryID=14) I'm not sure if this stroller has one of those.

If that is the sort of bar you mean, there should not be a problem, as the child's head should not reach up that high. Those fold braces make strollers stronger; most lower-priced full-featured umbrellas have them. (BTW, I have that Fly3 in my collection; it's a very nice really light umbrella with a super-big hood. I weighs much less than what is stated here, I'm sure it's actual weight is < 10 lbs. The only bad thing about it is that it gets difficult to steer with a heavy child onboard. Great for little guys, though, it has a legrest and reclines almost completely flat.)

BTW: other umbrella strollers with adjustable-height handles are available from Chicco and from Kidco, but I don't think either of them go higher than 45 inches. 42" is the European standard height, for makes like Maclaren and Peg Plikos.

Notursula thanks for the info....The bars on the carriage if you can believe this are actually a metal not even steel bar in each indiviual seat. You know hao the Kolcraft has sling like edges? This is the entire outline of the seats are framed in metal. It is the most foolish thing I have ever seen. I think I may try the one in this post. There must be some kind of support group for people that Constantly buy new strollers>.... If there is I should join>>>> Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter