• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Thunder Mountain possible return?

One of the YouTubers had a video of them testing the ride vehicle on the track yesterday. I hope it opens earlier than expected, but I haven't heard anything earlier than November 4th in the rumor mill.
The workers I spoke to were somewhat right. Disney is holding it back for some reason.

The workers I spoke to were somewhat right. Disney is holding it back for some reason.

No they are not. Just because you see a ride vehicle running doesn't mean the ride is ready to come back.

How many times did we see vehicles running through the Matterhorn when it was closed for months on end? They run the trains to keep them in optimal working order while they work on other stuff.

No they are not. Just because you see a ride vehicle running doesn't mean the ride is ready to come back.

How many times did we see vehicles running through the Matterhorn when it was closed for months on end? They run the trains to keep them in optimal working order while they work on other stuff.
don't know did not talk with Matterhorn construction workers.

don't know did not talk with Matterhorn construction workers.

You don't need to have talked to them.

Listen, my husband is friends with a guy who is a maintenence manager at Disneyland. When rides are closed for refurbishment, they usually still cycle vehicles through at various points. It does not mean the ride is ready to open back up. In most cases it's a matter of keeping moving parts moving smoothly or simply testing things they worked on and making necessary adjustments. Until you see a full staff of cast members back on the platform running trains, there's still awhile to go.

Listen, my husband is friends with a guy who is a maintenence manager at Disneyland. When rides are closed for refurbishment, they usually still cycle vehicles through at various points. It does not mean the ride is ready to open back up. In most cases it's a matter of keeping moving parts moving smoothly or simply testing things they worked on and making necessary adjustments. Until you see a full staff of cast members back on the platform running trains, there's still awhile to go.
Tell your husbands friend to get to work on the trams. :)

You're right it doesn’t mean it’s ready to open but they do not run them to keep them in order. Why would they wear out parts for no reason. Running vehicles empty is for testing. Ride parts are expensive and difficult to get right now like everything else.

You're right it doesn’t mean it’s ready to open but they do not run them to keep them in order. Why would they wear out parts for no reason. Running vehicles empty is for testing. Ride parts are expensive and difficult to get right now like everything else.

What parts are the wearing out by running an empty train a few times sporadically, during a refurbishment? If it's not a major refurbishment with a complete tear down of each vehicle (with this is not), they will periodically run the trains.

If you're not going to drive your car for 6 months, it's not a good idea to just let it sit there that whole time without properly preparing it for long term storage. Same concept.

What parts are the wearing out by running an empty train a few times sporadically, during a refurbishment? If it's not a major refurbishment with a complete tear down of each vehicle (with this is not), they will periodically run the trains.

If you're not going to drive your car for 6 months, it's not a good idea to just let it sit there that whole time without properly preparing it for long term storage. Same concept.

What parts? Every mechanical part on the ride vehicle? A ride vehicle is not that same as car lol. Listen, I'm sitting and working as the ride manager in a theme park my family owns right now. I'm sure they run them to test all different aspects all the time but you don't run them empty to keep them working.

Your joking right? Were you talking about Radiator Springs? Hahahhahahahaha

Your joking right? Were you talking about Radiator Springs? Hahahhahahahaha

It's called an analogy.

We've been seeing the monorail run for weeks now. Is that opening "any day now"? No, it is not.

I really don't understand why there is even this discussion happening right now. Big Thunder is scheduled to be closed through Nov 4. Regardless of whether we see trains running or not between now and then, that is the schedule. Some random "construction worker" has no insight into when a ride is going to reopen. Even if they are "done" with their part, that doesn't mean that's ALL that needs to be done and then the ride is ready to open.

It's called an analogy.

We've been seeing the monorail run for weeks now. Is that opening "any day now"? No, it is not.

I really don't understand why there is even this discussion happening right now. Big Thunder is scheduled to be closed through Nov 4. Regardless of whether we see trains running or not between now and then, that is the schedule. Some random "construction worker" has no insight into when a ride is going to reopen. Even if they are "done" with their part, that doesn't mean that's ALL that needs to be done and then the ride is ready to open.

We are allowed to discuss all things Disney. I don’t understand why you are condescending to those who are speculating. You come off as a bully and is not in the spirit of this board.

Listen, my husband is friends with a guy who is a maintenance manager at Disneyland.
Well my step sisters, 2nd husbands, 1st cousins, great aunt's grand daughter knew Walt Disney himself and ate an orange with him before park was built. ;)

Honestly- no one knows anything official (except Disney) and construction and YouTube vloggers shouldn't quote reopening dates. When you no longer see it listed on refurbishment calendar then hopefully it means it will be open. Sometimes you can be lucky with soft openings, as always everything is subject to change.

Sadly remember YouTube is view based, so it's easy to create a vlog title "BIG THUNDER OPEN!!??" with a shocked face thumbnail to get that click and view $$$$.

Last edited:
At BTMR right now and they been running all night. I guess testing? Theirs also ppl eating right where you get on the ride. I mean a table set up and having dinner right in the middle lol. Cant tell if their construction workers?

Have you ever let your car sit in the garage for a long period of time (weeks? months?)??

I’d advise against it. Believe it or not, letting machinery sit idle is also a recipe for things wearing out: tires go flat, brake pads rot, moving parts rust, lubricant settles, engines seize, etc.

Have you ever let your car sit in the garage for a long period of time (weeks? months?)??

I’d advise against it. Believe it or not, letting machinery sit idle is also a recipe for things wearing out: tires go flat, brake pads rot, moving parts rust, lubricant settles, engines seize, etc.

Ride vehicles don’t have engines or tires or the mechanics of a car lol. Have you ever actually worked on a ride vehicle? Because I have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter