• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

King Dominic

Mouseketeer
Trying to figure out if I want to FP BTMR or not. My daughter is 8 and isn't the most adventurous when it comes to rides. She really likes Mine Train but can't figure out how much more intense BTMR is. I rode it YEARS ago but don't really remember how "bad" it is. I know it's not crazy but last year she cried throughout FoP and for about 20 minutes afterwards because she didn't like it. I just don't want to traumatize her again, lol(BTW, she asked if we could do it again this year!!!)

Trying to figure out if I want to FP BTMR or not. My daughter is 8 and isn't the most adventurous when it comes to rides. She really likes Mine Train but can't figure out how much more intense BTMR is. I rode it YEARS ago but don't really remember how "bad" it is. I know it's not crazy but last year she cried throughout FoP and for about 20 minutes afterwards because she didn't like it. I just don't want to traumatize her again, lol(BTW, she asked if we could do it again this year!!!)

I would say BTMR is maybe 1 point more intense on a scale of 1-10. It's not the drops that make it so; it's the jerkiness and the noise. 7DMT is so smooth you could almost ride it all day long. One or two times in a row on BTMR would have me jostled (but I'd still do it!). The noise of the chains pulling you up is VERY loud on BTMR. Just prepare her for that noise. I put my hands over my hears because it's way too loud for me.

I would say BTMR is maybe 1 point more intense on a scale of 1-10. It's not the drops that make it so; it's the jerkiness and the noise. 7DMT is so smooth you could almost ride it all day long. One or two times in a row on BTMR would have me jostled (but I'd still do it!). The noise of the chains pulling you up is VERY loud on BTMR. Just prepare her for that noise. I put my hands over my hears because it's way too loud for me.

Well said.

That dang chain/clanking noise in the cave at the beginning is always so loud it makes me feel like I’ve been at a rock concert for a few mins after the ride!

The other thing about BTMRR is that it doesn't have a split lap bar. A child sitting with an adult, especially if the adult is big, will have a large gap between her lap and the bar.

My daughter does not like seven dwarfs but loves big thunder (she's 7). She will ride seven dwarfs, but big thunder for her is better because it never feels like you are going down a big drop. It's lots of circling around but no time where you feel high up and dropping down. We had her watch the youtube videos of both rides before we went and she did them both, but big thunder was smiling the entire time, seven dwarfs she for some reason just was waiting for it to be over and asked not to ride again.

Last time my daughter was there she was 10 and loved SDMT and even ToT but she really didn't like how loud big thunder was. Thrill wise I think she will be fine, just cover her ears!

I'm going against the grain and saying BTMRR is a little less intense then 7D, I don't think you get that "feeling" in your stomach as much as you do after the mine on 7D. It is a little rougher and a little more loud, but I'd say the "thrills" part is a little less intense.
I am a chicken and I love BTMRR

If you sit in the front it is a lot less bumpy then the back

Yep. Like a completely different ride.

Sit in the front and it feels like you are walking.
We were in the front car and I was able to turn around and comfortably have a conversation with my brother, it feels that slow/smooth. :rotfl:

The noise of the chains pulling you up is VERY loud on BTMR. Just prepare her for that noise. I put my hands over my hears because it's way too loud for me.

Now I remember!!! It is LOUD! And DD8 doesn't like loud noises.

We had her watch the youtube videos of both rides before we went

We've done so also(many times! LOL)and she seems to think she'll be ok. I heard the noise on the video but were watching it on an iPad so it wasn't that loud.

Decisions, decisions....

Now I remember!!! It is LOUD! And DD8 doesn't like loud noises.

We've done so also(many times! LOL)and she seems to think she'll be ok. I heard the noise on the video but were watching it on an iPad so it wasn't that loud.

Decisions, decisions....

Just make sure she covers her ears; that's all she'll need to mitigate the noise. OH, and remember there's the first pull up and then there's another one in the middle of the ride. Watch the youtube enough to know when that second one comes, so she can be ready to cover again.

I think that @sharonabe said it well. I just did my once every few years ride on BTMRR this past summer. A bit rougher, certainly longer, and, as noted above, noisier than 7DMT. I request a first row ride to minimize the effects. Neither DW or I are fans of roller coasters but the theming of BTMRR is so good that I build up my courage and ride solo every few years.

Certainly nothing like the full immersion experience of FoP. Which, by the way, I love!

If your daughter likes 7DMT then I suspect she will at least survive and possibly like BTMRR. Especially if you decide to prepare her with the expected differences.

If noises bother your DD think about carrying some ear plugs for her. DS can be sensitive to some noises, so we carry ear plugs for him for some of the shows because of the noise levels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter