Big Thunder or Splash for a 6yr old wanting to try her first 'big' coaster?

My daughter is 10 and BTMR is still her favorite. She first rode it when she was 5. It is so fun, it's my favorite along with Expedition Everest. Splash is fun (and nice and loooooong, and a good way to cool off) but nowhere near the thrill factor of BTMR or EE.

Both. My then-5 year old's favorite was Everest. Lucky me got to ride it 4 times in a row with her. :'(

I found Barnstormer to be really uncomfortable, but I'm in my 40s. My little daredevil was unimpressed by it.

Kids are pretty consistent. Tell them it's scary and they'll be scared. Tell them it's fun and they'll have fun.

Aww...give them a little more credit! I definitely believe in having an upbeat, adventurous approach, but kids differ in their personalities and comfort levels on rides. Just because you swear it will be fun does not mean it will be fun for them. I'm all for a little nudge, but not everyone's limits are the same.

I'd say either of the two original choices would be fine. My daughter was 7 for her first coaster. I took her on Space Mountain. She was not a fan. I thought being an older coaster it wouldn't be too bad, forgetting about the dark park. She liked all the other coasters we went on that year and now even Space Mountain is one of her favorites, just not a great first one. ;)

Honestly I find splash easier then BTMRR because splash being a water ride is smooth, BTMRR is a bit jerky and that bothers me a bit sometimes.

Even easier then both is Test Track. (well assuming that the new neon light overlay wouldn't bother her) because although its faster and sounds scary from the outisde I won't even do that one anymore as I almost find it lame... I mean if you roll your windows down on the highway you get a similar affect.

Splash is not a coaster. And some children don't like the drop. (Not out of fear--just the sensation from dropping is uncomfortable.).

I would definitely pick BTMRR over it. If the child has never been on a coaster and you want to be sure of things--Barnstormer is a great starter coaster. (Though, it may not be necessary depending on the child.)

Our oldest loves Splash Mountain. She rode it no less than 10 in one day between fast pass, child swap, and waiting stand by last trip.

She did Thunder Mountain for the first time and loved it too.

We are hoping to get her to try EE in October.

I agree that Big Thunder is probably the best to try, and my medium-adventurous 6 year old loved it best. He could see the big drop of splash and didn't want to ride it, despite knowing what a log ride is and that the rest would not be scary/intense. Same trip, my just-tall-enough niece was excited to ride splash as her first "big kid" ride and loved it, but was unwilling to try Big Thunder. You already know "all kids will be different", and it would be helpful to let them see both and choose, but you've got to make FP choices. Can you choose both and swap bands for other members in your group if your child decides to skip one?

Both! We have a 5, 7 and 9 year olds. And they all loved both. Even last year when they were 4,6 and 8 they loved btmrr. We just didn't make it to splash mountain bc we ran out of time. That will be a priority from now on though.

Splash is a coaster? I thought it was a water ride.

Kids are pretty consistent. Tell them it's scary and they'll be scared. Tell them it's fun and they'll have fun.

When they're tall enough, take them to Cedar Point and put them on Top Thrill Dragster. Then tell 'em it all gets easier from here.

We unintentionally used this method on our most recent trip. My younger DD is 3, and she was just two hairs over 40 inches. We were at AK for our first park of the trip, and I had made FPs for all of us for Dinosaur, just in case she was tall enough to ride. I really didn't think she would be, so we were planning to do RS. When we got to the measuring stick, they flagged us in, so we figured we'd just go with it. I told her the ride was dark and loud and had dinosaurs that kind of jump out at you, but that it's all a ride and pretend. She shrugged and hopped on. When it was over, she declared that it was "a little scary." I was afraid she'd be scared to do anything else, but she did every single 40 inch ride (including ToT) and loved them all. She is already planning to do ToT in March. She figured that if she could do Dinosaur, everything else was a cake walk.

My only caution is that she is an adventurous child. The same method would have gone over like a lead balloon with my older DD. We would have been stuck riding Dumbo over and over, because there would have been no way to get her on anything else if we'd done Dinosaur first. She wasn't even willing to try it until she was seven. Since OPs DD is 6 and adventurous, I am sure she'll be fine on whatever is selected.

This. I love Splash! But really the majority of it is slow as molasses! You drift along looking at Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox and listening to music. Its actually super cute! There is no way of getting motion sick on Splash.

For some--the way to get motion sickness is the big drop at the end.

My 6 yr old wants to try her first big roller coaster when we head to Disney in March.
Any thoughts on which one might be better suited for a just turned 6 yr old to try first?
A few notes:

She has no issues getting wet
She has never ridden a roller coaster before but is fairly adventurous
Meets height requirements

We plan on 7DMT as well, but she has asked to try a 'big kid' coaster.
We've watched the ride videos, and she seemed cool with either one.
I have severe motion sickness, so I've done neither, she'll be riding with her dad.
We haven't been to Disney since 2001, so he really can't remember too much about either.

I know we know our kid best, but thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks!!

Both are great, but IMHO SPLASH is the epitome of WDW...It's such a long ride that will have your 6 yr old glued to the animatronics the whole time....The story, the ride, the music...What else can I say....To me it's the ultimate WDW Ride!!!...:teeth:

Why don't you just ask her?

Hahaha! I did ask her, but she keeps changing her answer in typical 6 yr old fashion. She wants to try both, for sure! I truly think she'll like both and she has seen both ride videos and was very excited.

Thanks everyone and sorry I called Splash a coaster. Not well versed in Disney or theme parks. Guess I think of everything with a drop that way :duck::duck:

Thinking we will go 7DMT, BTMRR and Splash!

BTMRR would be my vote as well. Splash is a lot more thrilling. My suggestion is if she likes Thunder, then head over to splash after for the next "challenge"!

at 4 my daughter did both. She handled both okay, but I regret taking her on BTMRR...that she remembers not liking to this day and I wonder if she'll want to ever do it again.

SM she still says, I love that ride except the scary drop. She can't wait to do SM again next time we go (she's 6 now)...anecdotal, but that's her experience. and yes, I'm probably a horrible parent for putting her on a ride like that at 4.

I don't think letting a 3-4 year old ride mild coasters and water rides is bad. Both my boys are adventurous and rode both BTM and SM at 3 and Barmstormer at 2. Splash Mountian is still their favorite ride at 5 and 7 years old. We have a friend who's 7 year old is not interested in trying either. It really does vary by kid personalities. BTM and SM are both good choices for a first big ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter