• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Thunder Ranch: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down?

There is a little show during your meals. Your hostess Chris sings & they have a piano player or guitar player or sometimes both out with her. They sing some familiar songs & try to include the audience.

Taste Pilots Grill is burgers, chicken sandwiches & riblets(?).......no really the same as the Celebration BBQ.

Regarding entertainment: I'd plan around the show schedule. We arrived and ate and they didn't start performing until about the time our bill came.

I'm a little "meh" about the meal. We had made reservations that they couldn't find and they actually argued with us about it. And then not having the entertainment until the end irked us as well. The food was good enough. For the price of the meal, I'd expected dessert to be included.

Another question re: dinner --

During the colder months, do they set out heaters? We are going in late November and don't want to freeze to death.

Thanks!

We were there in November 2010. I don't recall seeing heaters. It was chilly, but we were dressed for it so we weren't uncomfortable.

We were there in November 2010. I don't recall seeing heaters. It was chilly, but we were dressed for it so we weren't uncomfortable.

Good to know. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the vegetarian option is? It's listed on their menu. Thanks.

I'm thinking of trying this out with our family during our December trip, but am also worried about the temp.

A few questions I'm sure someone can answer.

What time do they start serving dinner?
What is the show schedule?
Do they do anything special for the meal for the holidays and reindeer roundup?
Is it exciting enough to entertain an almost 4 and 5 year old plus 17 month old? :rotfl: (I'm sure Laurie can answer that one!)

Thanks so much!

I'm thinking of trying this out with our family during our December trip, but am also worried about the temp.

A few questions I'm sure someone can answer.

What time do they start serving dinner?
What is the show schedule?
Do they do anything special for the meal for the holidays and reindeer roundup?
Is it exciting enough to entertain an almost 4 and 5 year old plus 17 month old? :rotfl: (I'm sure Laurie can answer that one!)

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure what hours are lunch & what hours are dinner....I believe there is a short break between the 2. Best way to find out would be to call Disney Dining.

As for the show.....they come out for about 15 mins at a time, take a short break & come back out. Not really sure of the schedule......I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't base eating there on the little show they do. It's corny little songs.......Heather, your 4 & 5 yr old will probably enjoy it. Especially if they get up & dance by the table to the music or clap or sing along......"Chris" is pretty good at spotting the kiddos that are enjoying themselves.

Haven't been in the fall/winter months.....so have no clue what the temp is during that time. I'd ask about special Holiday stuff on the Christmas thread.....lots of people that have experienced the holiday theme & could probably answer that question!!

For those planning to go during the winter months, be aware that DL has sometimes treated this area as seasonal.

We have eaten there and really enjoyed it. It is real BBQ, not some microwaved stuff with BBQ sauce on it. Head and shoulders better than TPG IMO. Yes, there is a Premium AP discount. The entertainment was fun and a bonus to the meal. We did reservations but the day we went was a wet one and they do close when its wet as the seating is outdoors and not well covered. The rain stopped long enough for them to dry it out and we were able to walk right up and be seated.

They will bring out as much as you care to eat of any sides or entrees. The pictures do a better job of describing the food than I can do here.

If you do happen to go when it is cooler, just remember that not only do you need to keep yourself warm, and while the food comes out hot, it does get cold more quickly so eat up and don't ask for more until you're ready!

When we go for the entire day we try to bring snacks along with us and only eat one meal in the park to try and save money. This one is definately on the short list of places to go! :thumbsup2

The only downside is that it is not that close to any of the most popular line queues. It is near Fantasyland and the queue for BTMRR isn't too far but you'll need to take the location and reservation time into account as you plan your movement through the park. You don't want to be getting off either Space or Splash mountain at your reservation time or your going to find yourself taking a long quick walk.

Thanks for the tips Laurie! My 3 year old might dance and clap but the 4 year old is adverse to such things. You know how that goes. I might skip it for out Dec trip and plan on doing it during a warmer weather trip. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the tips Laurie! My 3 year old might dance and clap but the 4 year old is adverse to such things. You know how that goes. I might skip it for out Dec trip and plan on doing it during a warmer weather trip. Thanks for the help!

Yup I do.....but I will say the one thing both girls do react to is music. I'd play it by ear for December.....if it's a nice day, stop in & see if they have room otherwise, summertime would be good too!!

We'll be going to DL June 7-13.... Are reservations recommended here?

It is possible to walk up & get seated, but depending on how busy the parks are.....a ressie is always a good idea. You could end up with a bit of wait. Even with a ressie, you sometimes have a wait....the ressies guarantee you a table as soon as one comes available that will accomidate your party size. We always make a ressie, but usually we're a big group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter