Biometric Scan Usage

skwak

Can't wait to work for Mickey someday!!
Hello Disboard Friends:

Has Disney announced officially if they are going to require the use of the biometric finger scan to enter the parks when they re-open? Or are they simply going to allow a Magicband tap to allow you to enter the parks in July? I ask because the thought of every single person touching the scanner has me a bit freaked out! That would be a sea of people touching the same spot! Talk about germs!! :(

THANKS!

I can't seem to find it. But I read that they are not doing fingerprint scans anymore.

I would hope that would be something they could do away with - or they'll be wiping the scanner after every guest. We happened to be there the last weekend in March before they closed. That Saturday, we entered the AK, and were told no scan was necessary - made sense at that time. Sunday afternoon, we entered HS and went to walk through and were told we had to use the scan. So no consistency at that time.

No official word as far as I know. Universal is not using them but you do have to show photo id to match the name on your ticket

I was just at the Dark Side. They compared your AP and your driver's license. I guess I look enough like my pic with my mask!

Hello Disboard Friends:

Has Disney announced officially if they are going to require the use of the biometric finger scan to enter the parks when they re-open? Or are they simply going to allow a Magicband tap to allow you to enter the parks in July? I ask because the thought of every single person touching the scanner has me a bit freaked out! That would be a sea of people touching the same spot! Talk about germs!! :(

THANKS!

Just clean your finger after you tap in? Won't you be exposed to COVID by just being in Florida? If it's on the finger scan, it's on everything in the parks, BTW. Keep your hands off your face and mask, bring some sanitizer, wash your hands. The risk from one little spot on one finger is no worse than anything else down there.

I was just at the Dark Side. They compared your AP and your driver's license. I guess I look enough like my pic with my mask!

I wonder if they will do that for just APs or all tickets. All tickets sounds a bit crazy but these are crazy times....

At Universal they only ask for ID when you are entering with an annual pass and not for paper tickets according to my friend who is a team member that works the gates. They're checking the name matches the ID/AP and mask or not you can generally tell if the person handing you both is one in the same. ID won't help with a paper ticket as they don't have a name/picture attached to them on purchase nor once they are activated.

Last edited:
I wonder how many kids have picture ids. I don’t mind showing a picture id to prove who I am but I don’t see a lot of parents having picture ids of the kids.

I wonder how many kids have picture ids. I don’t mind showing a picture id to prove who I am but I don’t see a lot of parents having picture ids of the kids.

They aren't ID checking kids as far as I know for that very reason. From what I understand they're just asking the child their name to see if it matches the pass.

WDW wouldn't require IDs for anyone without announcing it first. They've created Magic Bands that have made resort guests used to being able to leave keys & wallets behind in the room. Too many guests wouldn't have ID on hand if they weren't warned first.

WDW wouldn't require IDs for anyone without announcing it first. They've created Magic Bands that have made resort guests used to being able to leave keys & wallets behind in the room. Too many guests wouldn't have ID on hand if they weren't warned first.
You should always carry ID with you at all times. Especially when you are from out of the country.

They aren't ID checking kids as far as I know for that very reason. From what I understand they're just asking the child their name to see if it matches the pass.
I hope they continue just asking kids. My kids have passports that they can use as id but I know a lot of parents don’t get picture ids for the kids unless the have a reason to get them. Mine have them for cruising.

Meh. Living & playing completely within the Disney bubble, I don't find it necessary.
Until a situation arises that needs an ID. In this day and age, no adult should go out without an ID. We all (ok 99%) carry a phone. Attach that pocket thingy and yes I believe that is the technical name 😁 to the back of the phone and put your ID in it.

Until a situation arises that needs an ID. In this day and age, no adult should go out without an ID. We all (ok 99%) carry a phone. Attach that pocket thingy and yes I believe that is the technical name 😁 to the back of the phone and put your ID in it.
Like I said, within Disney World, it just isn't necessary to carry it around all the time. Different strokes for different folks.

If you get any kind of discount, AP/DVC or ever buy a drink, you would always need an ID on you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter