• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bipolar and Disney

kycanonist

Mouseketeer
We have someone in our party who is bipolar. I have a couple of concerns and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this...

Do you think the overwhelming nature of Disney will trigger the manic phase of the illness? And will coming home when it's all over trigger the depressive phase of the illness?

Has anyone had to deal with this? What's the best way to deal with the mania if it hits while at Disney?

My DD7 is bipolar. She was diagnosed shortly after our trip in 2008, and some of the behavior that we experienced on that trip factored into her diagnosis. Our trip last August is the only trip we've had since treatment began, and it made a world of difference.

Early-onset BPD can present different issues than BPD that on-sets in adolescence or adulthood so I'm not sure if my experience will be helpful. DD is rapid cycling and experiences mixed-state episodes. It sounds like the person traveling with you is more likely to experience clear-cut manic and depressive episodes.

The best person to ask these questions is the doctor treating your family member. Each person is different in how their BPD presents and the doctor will have insights that no one else can offer. If a manic episode hits at Disney, call the doctor. A medication adjustment might be needed, and it would be better not to wait until the end of the trip to make that. It's possible for a depressive episode to hit after a trip, but it's hard to say ahead of time if that will occur.

My biggest mistakes on our trip in 2008 was letting DD stay up too late and not getting enough sleep. No matter what age, it's important for someone with BPD to get enough sleep to avoid triggering a mood episode. Try to keep as normal a sleep schedule as possible. DD is a morning person so for our last trip I planned for us to be at rope drop everyday, but in bed by 9pm as well. We missed out on Illuminations, Fantasmic, and the MSEP because of that, but it made our days a lot easier. We were staying at the Poly so I did let DD go down to the beach to watch Wishes one night in her pjs so she could crawl into bed immediately afterward.

DD has a lot of sensory issues that go along with the BPD. And WDW can be massive sensory overload. She is particularly sensitive to loud noises so I bought her noise-reducing ear muffs. Anytime she seemed to be getting aggitated, I pulled those out for her, and they helped her calm down. I also had a stress ball that she could squeeze to help regulate her mood when she was aggitated.

Water can be very soothing for a person with BPD. Take advantage of the pools, particularly at off-peak hours, for soothing water therapy.

Make sure your family member eats some healthy meals. It's okay to splurge on some junk, but good nutrition helps to maintain a stable mood.

ETA: I forgot... Carry water and snacks in the parks. Keeping well-hydrated and not getting too hungry is important for everyone at WDW, but especially important for someone with a mood disorder.

My DD7 is bipolar. She was diagnosed shortly after our trip in 2008, and some of the behavior that we experienced on that trip factored into her diagnosis. Our trip last August is the only trip we've had since treatment began, and it made a world of difference.

Early-onset BPD can present different issues than BPD that on-sets in adolescence or adulthood so I'm not sure if my experience will be helpful. DD is rapid cycling and experiences mixed-state episodes. It sounds like the person traveling with you is more likely to experience clear-cut manic and depressive episodes.

The best person to ask these questions is the doctor treating your family member. Each person is different in how their BPD presents and the doctor will have insights that no one else can offer. If a manic episode hits at Disney, call the doctor. A medication adjustment might be needed, and it would be better not to wait until the end of the trip to make that. It's possible for a depressive episode to hit after a trip, but it's hard to say ahead of time if that will occur.

My biggest mistakes on our trip in 2008 was letting DD stay up too late and not getting enough sleep. No matter what age, it's important for someone with BPD to get enough sleep to avoid triggering a mood episode. Try to keep as normal a sleep schedule as possible. DD is a morning person so for our last trip I planned for us to be at rope drop everyday, but in bed by 9pm as well. We missed out on Illuminations, Fantasmic, and the MSEP because of that, but it made our days a lot easier. We were staying at the Poly so I did let DD go down to the beach to watch Wishes one night in her pjs so she could crawl into bed immediately afterward.

DD has a lot of sensory issues that go along with the BPD. And WDW can be massive sensory overload. She is particularly sensitive to loud noises so I bought her noise-reducing ear muffs. Anytime she seemed to be getting aggitated, I pulled those out for her, and they helped her calm down. I also had a stress ball that she could squeeze to help regulate her mood when she was aggitated.

Water can be very soothing for a person with BPD. Take advantage of the pools, particularly at off-peak hours, for soothing water therapy.

Make sure your family member eats some healthy meals. It's okay to splurge on some junk, but good nutrition helps to maintain a stable mood.

ETA: I forgot... Carry water and snacks in the parks. Keeping well-hydrated and not getting too hungry is important for everyone at WDW, but especially important for someone with a mood disorder.

Yep, I think it will just be a typical management of triggers as usual...

It''s possible for either of those things to happen, but it depends on the individual person and how they deal with things like big trips and changes in routine.

As far as what to do if your person becomes manic, first off don't leave them alone (a babysitter in their right mind can help prevent risky behaviors) and secondly call their doctor asap. But watch out for labeling any high spirited behavior as manic. It's possible they're just in a really good mood, it is disney after all :)

Is the person who is bipolar an adult? If so, he or she is probably going to be the most aware of what his or her triggers are. An older teen who has been diagnosed for a couple years is also likely to be aware. In both cases I would suspect that they've put a thought into what they can handle at WDW.

If it's a child, his or her parents are probably the best bet for finding out similar information.

In general my experience is that people with a condition or if a child, their parents are the ones who are best aware what they can handle. Not to mention that unless it's your kid and they're under 18 or someone who has given their doctor specific written permission to talk to you, it's unlikely a doctor would say anything.

If it's not your kid or your spouse to be prepared to get told that it's none of your business. If someone who was not my parent or partner started questioning all sorts of information about my anxiety triggers or whether I could physically do something due to my physical disabilities, I would be likely to say 'I have thought about them for this situation and I should be fine.' and leave it at that. If the person persisted, they'd get told politely that they were overstepping their boundaries and they didn't need that information.

Okay... it's me. :)

I just worry that I'll be triggered and it will be too much. I'm properly balanced with my meds and I have to be REALLY triggered for it to be a problem (hypomanic), but I worry that with it being my kids' first trip and my first trip since 1976 when I was 6 years old that I'll be too ramped to really enjoy it all the way... Probably just best to bring extra Xanax if it gets to be too much, right?

I just worry that I'll be triggered and it will be too much. I'm properly balanced with my meds and I have to be REALLY triggered for it to be a problem (hypomanic), but I worry that with it being my kids' first trip and my first trip since 1976 when I was 6 years old that I'll be too ramped to really enjoy it all the way... Probably just best to bring extra Xanax if it gets to be too much, right?

:hug: You're going to be fine. :hug: Make sure you have all your meds on the trip and a supply with you each day in case, in the rush of activities, you leave your resort in the morning without them. If you're traveling with another adult, make sure they know the symptoms of mania and will tell you if you seem to be heading that direction. Other than that and what has already been mentioned by others, try not to worry about it. You are there to have a great time and enjoy yourself--allow yourself the freedom to have fun, but a kid, and make some wonderful memories. I am not bi-polar, but do have clinical depression, and it's natural and normal for a person to kick back and be a kid there. You don't want to cross the line, however you will likely know if that's beginning to happen.

Have fun and enjoy this special time with your children! :woohoo::yay:

:hug: You're going to be fine. :hug: Make sure you have all your meds on the trip and a supply with you each day in case, in the rush of activities, you leave your resort in the morning without them. If you're traveling with another adult, make sure they know the symptoms of mania and will tell you if you seem to be heading that direction. Other than that and what has already been mentioned by others, try not to worry about it. You are there to have a great time and enjoy yourself--allow yourself the freedom to have fun, but a kid, and make some wonderful memories. I am not bi-polar, but do have clinical depression, and it's natural and normal for a person to kick back and be a kid there. You don't want to cross the line, however you will likely know if that's beginning to happen.

Have fun and enjoy this special time with your children! :woohoo::yay:

Thanks! :goodvibes

DH has BPD. I was worried about this when we went down a year ago. We had just gotten married (tons of stress) and we were leaving for a very active vacation/honeymoon. I made sure his meds were packed, we were very very stringent that he took his meds at the same time at Disney as he would have taken them at home. We drank alot of fluids, ate very healthy meals (this was one of the reasons we went with the dining plan) and we just enjoyed oursleves. When any of us started getting fatigued we took a break, whether it was sitting in the shade enjoying a mickey ice cream bar or going back to the room for a nap. I know this is easier said then done, but try not to worry, just be aware of your mental state and listen when it starts telling you it's too much too fast. I hope you have a great time!!:flower3:

Aww, you're going to be all right if you take care of yourself. I'm bipolar too, and for me, the trip planning can be a huge trigger for mania. I go into Obsession Mode and then it's a rocket trip to crazy town. So I reallly have to monitor that. I find that I do well as long as I eat regularly, go to bed at my usual time, and take my meds even though that means no alcohol. If I get out of my routine much I can tip into hypomania. And sleep is probably the biggest problem on vacation. If I don't sleep well I can really tell a difference in my mood. Let that go on a couple more nights and well, it isn't pretty.

I have on occasion suffered from mild to moderate depression following a vacation, so be alert for that. It's not enough to make me stay home--after all, depression can start anywhere--but I really have to stay in touch with my moods.

Aww, you're going to be all right if you take care of yourself. I'm bipolar too, and for me, the trip planning can be a huge trigger for mania. I go into Obsession Mode and then it's a rocket trip to crazy town. So I reallly have to monitor that. I find that I do well as long as I eat regularly, go to bed at my usual time, and take my meds even though that means no alcohol. If I get out of my routine much I can tip into hypomania. And sleep is probably the biggest problem on vacation. If I don't sleep well I can really tell a difference in my mood. Let that go on a couple more nights and well, it isn't pretty.

I have on occasion suffered from mild to moderate depression following a vacation, so be alert for that. It's not enough to make me stay home--after all, depression can start anywhere--but I really have to stay in touch with my moods.

Thank you so much for posting! I definitely have gone through some mania in prepping for this trip. Thank goodness I only booked in Feb. I've had some glitches and that's when I see how hypomanic it has really made me sometimes...

I'm trying to make sure that all that I will do will keep stuff at bay... that's the best that I can do.

I pretty much expect a bit of minor depression once I return. I told DH that if that happens, I'll just have to start planning our next trip. ;)

It's hard not to worry when anxiety is almost a part of who I am. ;)

It's hard not to worry when anxiety is almost a part of who I am. ;)

I know. There are times when I need a half to one whole Xanax because I'm so worked up. i take it only rarely--i have a history of misusing benzos and sleepers, so that stuff is off limits most of the time. My DH has a prescription for Xanax, which he also rarely takes. He keeps it hidden and only dispenses it when he sees i really need it. My doctor has okayed this and we are careful not to abuse it. When we go on vacation, DH brings a small amount of Xanax, only 3-4 pills. That way, if I really get off balance I dont' have enough stuff to off myself.

I'm the same way... I only use it when I really need it. I'm going to bring it with me, just in case I really need it.

Another one who finds the planning and the immediate run up to the trip the more problematic part than the actual trip itself.

I have BP1 (rapid cycling) and we have five kids, only four on our last trip but it was still quite the concern for DH the thought of being on the otherside of the world with me and the kids if things did go a tad manic.

We tend to travel with my parents- mostly because that gives the kids great experiences with my parents but also because it's a back up system for DH to know he has help with the kids (and/or me) if he does need it.

Our last trip my only "bad" patches were the night we arrived (long, long trip from the UK, plus delay in Washington for our connecting flight... just a long, long day!) but that was definitely the lack of sleep & stress.

I found the way in which I had the opportunity to switch off and enjoy WDW was a huge distraction from things that would normally act like triggers. I can be very self-conscious and anxious in social situations but I found the atmosphere at WDW alot easier to cope with.

One thing I do have to watch at WDW is that I'm staying well hydrated, my meds don't mix well with being dehydrated so I have to make a big push to ensure I'm drinking lots of water, they also make me more sun-sensitive so I have to plan my outfits to provide good coverage and use good sunblock too. (Both issues that don't usually affect me hugely in the UK) and of course I wear my medic alert braclet too which states my meds and condition *just in case*

I actually also found I went slightly hypomanic on return as I became obsessed with schemes/ideas of how we could speed up being able to make a return trip. (one of the main features of my manic phases for me is the over-creativity and obsession with being able to take over the world with my fantastic business ideas... in reality I'm a housewife but in my head I could rule the world during those days and having something like "ohhh we can go back to WDW if only..." in my head tends to fuel those ideas/phases.)

I actually also found I went slightly hypomanic on return as I became obsessed with schemes/ideas of how we could speed up being able to make a return trip. (one of the main features of my manic phases for me is the over-creativity and obsession with being able to take over the world with my fantastic business ideas... in reality I'm a housewife but in my head I could rule the world during those days and having something like "ohhh we can go back to WDW if only..." in my head tends to fuel those ideas/phases.)

This sounds so much like my DD! :rotfl: She's 7 but in her head, she thinks she can rule the world. And her obsessive planning for our next WDW trip begins while we are still on the current trip. We are skipping WDW this year and going to Cape Cod and Boston. She wants to plan out the Boston part of the vacation with minute to minute precision. I'm a planner and I appreciate the thought she puts into our plans, but unfortunately she has trouble accepting when things don't go according to her plan. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter