Birthday dessert

czmom

DIS Veteran
For years my daughter has seen kids wearing the birthday buttons and getting special cupcakes/treats after their meals. She has been asking to go to Disney for her birthday for awhile and this is finally her year :)

Do the following restaurants offer the free birthday dessert?
Storytellers
Carnation cafe
Minnie and Friends
Blue bayou
Wine country trattoria
Carthay circle

Thank you!

I believe most of the full-service restaurants will bring you a birthday dessert. Be sure to have it noted when you make your ADR. Also, it helps to mention it to the server when you sit down. Minnie and Friends is a buffet. I've never seen them do a birthday dessert there, but you might ask when you make your ADR. We went there for my DH's 50th a few years ago. We had a large party of adults and teens. The characters made a huge deal of his birthday button, but I don't recall the server bringing anything special.

I've done birthday lunch at WCT, no free desert, twice at BB, no free dessert and birthday dinner twice at PCH with free dessert once (these weren't my birthday, I went with friends.) It used to be a lot more common. For example, My sister and I both got free dessert and a birthday serenade at the former Hook's Pointe which was a family favorite. you're doing multiple ADRs and want to be sure she gets a dessert you might want to order something in advance at one of your dining locations just in case it doesn't happen for free.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure if a location will offer a birthday dessert or not. It's up the discretion of the server, the restaurant's own policies/rules, how busy they are, etc. I wouldn't count on getting anything, even if you are wearing a birthday button. The only way to guarantee that something will be done is to order a cake to be delivered to one of the TS location.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/birthdays/

Thanks! We ordered a cake for my dad last time and it never showed up :(

Blue Bayou has a birthday dessert for sure; took Mom there a couple of weeks ago for her birthday & our server brought a small Mickey-shaped chocolate mousse dessert.

I agree with figment_jii -- It's not anything that can be counted on, even if you've seen some people getting free desserts. It's not a guaranteed thing, such as, for example, getting a free meal at Denny's on your birthday. People wear the birthday buttons, and some CMs will do a little something extra for them. Other CMs will not. It's kind of like checking into one of the Disney hotels -- some people get free B&W 8x10 photos and buttons and upgrades, while others get nothing. It's all dependent on the CM who is helping you, what kind of mood they're in, whatever else is going on at the hotel (or restaurant) at that moment, etc.

We've been for everyone's birthdays at one point or another, the kids we've gone more than once for. We've always noted it is their birthday on our meal reservations but it is never guaranteed that you'll get anything. If you do be glad, if you don't go buy a cupcake or order a dessert at the restaurant on the sly. I've "gone to the bathroom" a few times and ordered a dessert. :)

For years my daughter has seen kids wearing the birthday buttons and getting special cupcakes/treats after their meals. She has been asking to go to Disney for her birthday for awhile and this is finally her year :)

Do the following restaurants offer the free birthday dessert?
Storytellers
Carnation cafe
Minnie and Friends
Blue bayou
Wine country trattoria
Carthay circle

Thank you!

Just a warning-we went for DD3's birthday-had it noted on all our reservations, she was wearing her birthday button each day. We dined at
-Minnie and Friends
-Surf's Up
-Blue Bayou
-Ariels Grotto
-Goofy's kitchen
-C&D Critter Breakfast

And nothing but the cake we ordered and paid for ourselves. So warn her it's not guaranteed. DD was really disappointing as she saw it happening for many others and couldn't understand why she wasn't ever chosen.

I'm surprised they are so inconsistent. It makes it hard for kids to understand. Thanks for the reality check!

I like the idea of sneaking away to order a dessert :)

We came back from a trip last week and had breakfast at goofy's kitchen. When we checked in I got asked if we were celebrating anything and I told the CM my daughters 2nd birthday. Since she was only 2 I wasn't expecting anything but towards the end of the meal we got the cupcake and singing and our server brought us a birthday button for my daughter too. Great way to start the day!

Although previously noted that it's hit or miss, never be intimidated to just ask. You can ask when making reservations and what I normally do is double check once I get to the restaurant; discretely mention your party is celebrating a birthday!

I'm surprised they are so inconsistent. It makes it hard for kids to understand. Thanks for the reality check!

I like the idea of sneaking away to order a dessert :)

I think this would be your best bet! When it comes to things like that (free desserts, upgrades, etc...), I find that it is always easier to not have expectations/hopes and be pleasantly surprised when pixie dust happens than be disappointed when something doesn't happen that you are counting on. My daughter (now an adult) grew up with this philosophy and it always served her well. Don't expect something, and it's such a wow moment when/if it happens. I agree with you, however, that the inconsistency can be a bit bewildering, especially if a child at another table but with a different waiter receives something while your child doesn't. Hope you have a memorable trip! I am heading to DL next week with my daughter to celebrate her 30th! :cake:

How much was the cake that you order and pay for?
How big was it?
What is the Disney Signature cake?

Anyone have any pictures? Thanks!

I celebrated my birthday last year in DL! I got a free dessert at Rainforest, Blue Bayou and Wine Country Trattoria. A few weeks ago we celebrated my nieces birthday and she got free dessert at Jazz Kitchen, Cafe Orleans and Wine Country. We also got to ride Space Mountain twice in a row! That was a birthday first!!

I guess it's not necessarily consistent from what I am reading above, but last fall I celebrated an anniversary at BB (and mentioned it at check in) and just a couple of weeks ago my son celebrated his birthday also at BB (also mentioned at check in) and both times they brought us a chocolate mousse Mickey ear shaped dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter