• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday on Board

lucigo

DIS Veteran
Looking for advice on making a boy's birthday on board magical, first night of the cruise. He will be 12 (has autism so socially younger).

Would he be okay with your dining room servers singing happy birthday to him? If you let Guest Services know, they will arrange for a special cake to be sent to your table for dessert, plus the singing. (I'm sure they would do the cake without the singing if you think that would bother him.) They will also give you a birthday button for him.

Looking for advice on making a boy's birthday on board magical, first night of the cruise. He will be 12 (has autism so socially younger).
If I were on your cruise I'd have my three daughters make birthday cards and hang them from your door's "fish"... any chance you are sailing Aug. 1st on Fantasy ?

Aww thanks, but no we are on the May 2 Fantasy. I think he would be ok with them singing, but not 100% sure, we will just have to see how it goes. Do I need to order a cake ahead of time, or can I just tell them when I go talk to them about his food issues.

Aww thanks, but no we are on the May 2 Fantasy. I think he would be ok with them singing, but not 100% sure, we will just have to see how it goes. Do I need to order a cake ahead of time, or can I just tell them when I go talk to them about his food issues.

Just tell them when you go to talk about his food issues. Also tell them to have the server team check in with you before they gather everyone around to start singing.

He would definitely not be okay with mousse dessert. I found a place where you can order a cake, going to get that in.

Weird, the last two birthdays we've celebrated (one on the Dream, one on the Magic two weeks ago) have both been the mousse.

There are only 3 of us, so since you said you got a cake a few weeks ago I think when I have my special needs meeting with the dining room I will ask if he can have cake. On Carnival they set aside a chocolate cake for him and served him a piece every night for his dessert, didn't even charge us for it. Their special needs dept is outstanding. All I am hoping for is that he will eat something. LOL

In addition to the chocolate something my son got on his 12th birthday (he ate it so fast I didn't get a good look at it. it was dome-shaped and apparently delicious!), our room steward put a Happy Birthday magnet on our door. It is huge (10 inches across?) and has the Fab Five on it. If you are participating in a FE, be sure to tell the other participants. You never know who might drop in a special something.

Hi!! I'm an almost 20 year old who, like your son, also has autism. I went last summer for my graduation from high school. I got surprised with something similar

Here are some ideas given to me that I'm going to use when I celebrate my DS's bday onboard soon...

Bring decorations from home and decorate the room as soon as your cabin is ready, while your DS and other traveling companion hangs out by the pool. Get a birthday magnet for your door. Make shirts that say "Birthday Boy" and "Mom of the Birthday Boy" to wear on his birthday. Upon boarding, when they announce your arrival, make sure you tell them you're celebrating your DS's bday.

Have fun and happy early birthday to your DS.

When my husband had his birthday on the ship, I conspired with our room steward and some of the cast members to surprise him throughout the day with little gifts, mostly pins. They showed up on his plate at brunch and dinner, and in room animals in our room, etc.

When my husband had his birthday on the ship, I conspired with our room steward and some of the cast members to surprise him throughout the day with little gifts, mostly pins. They showed up on his plate at brunch and dinner, and in room animals in our room, etc.

That's a really good ideal!

We just booked today, where do I find an FE? Thanks :)

Here is your Cruise Meet thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/may-2-2015-disney-fantasy-7-night-eastern-caribbean-°o°.3256722/

And it looks like the FE (Fish Extender) is a separate thread for that cruise: http://www.disboards.com/threads/may-2-9-2015-disney-fantasy-eastern-caribbean.3293920/
Since you are less than a month out from your cruise, it's possible the FE has been closed. But worth checking if you'd like to participate.

Happy birthday to your son and enjoy your cruise!

Here is your Cruise Meet thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/may-2-2015-disney-fantasy-7-night-eastern-caribbean-°o°.3256722/

And it looks like the FE (Fish Extender) is a separate thread for that cruise: http://www.disboards.com/threads/may-2-9-2015-disney-fantasy-eastern-caribbean.3293920/
Since you are less than a month out from your cruise, it's possible the FE has been closed. But worth checking if you'd like to participate.

Happy birthday to your son and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter