• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Birthday trip in Sept 2022 for 5 year old daughter

heathermedinatx346

Earning My Ears
I am planning a 9 day/8 night trip in September 2022 with my 2 girls, husband, mother, father, mother-in law, father-in-law, brother-in-law and possibly an aunt and 2 cousins. Of course each mini family will have their own room. This will be my 4th trip to Disney so I have a bunch of ideas of what to see, do and eat :) Of course. We will be flying in from Houston and we plan to surprise her by not saying anything until we get to the Magical Express area at the airport and will be there for her actual birthday or maybe a scavenger hunt the night before we leave-thoughts?
I plan on doing an in room celebration for her the night before her birthday and I'm really hoping to have breakfast at Crystal Palace and dinner at CRT and also do Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, as well as attend the MNSSHP that night-so BUSY day..... Saturday will be a rest day for her probably with the grandparents, lol. Should we do anything else for her? We will either stay at All Star Music (stayed there twice) or at All Star Movies. Thoughts?
I also plan on doing the Firework dessert party with my oldest daughter-just a little something for just me and her so she gets some special time too.
Thank you for your input.

My kids are old now so I'm probably no help on what to do with a 5 year old, I just wanted to say that when my kids were young (maybe like 6 and 9), I never told them we were going to Disney and told them we were taking a family vacation to Iowa or something like that. They totally believed me. It did help that I had to book my flight to Tampa that year due to cost so I didn't have the airport/flight staff giving that away. I don't think my kids were aware where Tampa was at the time, so I pulled it off right up until the end. It was so fun...for me!

Will your older daughter know and would she give it away?
Also with all the planning going into a trip to Disney I find it easier to plan together since it's not like they can say no I want to eat there instead last minute for a lot of places. Each of my kids are picking a restaurant to eat a meal. My seven year old surprised by wanting Be Our Guest over Cinderella’s Royal Table. And my four year old surprised me too by not caring if she ate in a castle just wanting princesses there.
I'm also a over eager planner but I'd probably try to hold off making too many definite plans before it's a bit closer. Kids can change interests a lot and you don't want to have your heart set on one thing only to realize that there is another place to eat or activity that would actually be more exciting for her.

That sounds incredibly exciting! You all should have an amazing time. I agree with sponica....3 years is a while away, make sure your DD5 likes surprises then. My DS had been to Disney 6 times, and loved every trip....so on his fifth birthday I decided a surprise holiday trip would be amazing! He thought we were going to his grandparents ( which he doesn't even like to visit!) We were headed out of the house, gave him a gift to unwrap with a Mickey snow globe with a note that said ' we' re going to Disney'. He cried, he was SO upset that we were going to Disney, it was NOT the reaction we expected at all. Ruined the first day of the trip, as he was crying and upset etc. He is ten now, and still tells me not to surprise him. He just isn't the type of kid that likes surprises, he likes to know what's going on even if it's just the week before. Hope you all have an amazing trip!

When we went to DL, we told our DD (she was 5 at the time) about 6 - 8 weeks before. This was the perfect amount of time because she had the fun of anticipation but it wasn't too far in advanced either. We went with my parents and they almost spilled the beans several times before we told DD.

I had a coworker who surprised her kids and told them on the way to the airport. They all had the same reaction asstephk's son. Just make sure she enjoys surprises.

Ditto on carefully assessing the surprise element. If this will be your DD‘S first visit, then she has absolutely no notion of what’s ahead, and her reaction may fall way short of happy excitement.

Consider giving her this wonderful surprise a month BEFORE the trip, and let the excitement build for both your girls by sharing a countdown. Plan some movie nights to catch up on Disney classics, and perhaps watch some planning videos. Have the rest of your travelling party can take part as much as possible, too.

Our trips to WDW over the past 11 years have included our grandchildren, and the months before any trip are a huge source of happy anticipation and shared enjoyment. We did a surprise trip a few years ago, when our DGSs were old enough to appreciate what was ahead. It was pretty cool that day, but when we talked about it later, all of us felt more than a little cheated as we really missed sharing the excitement leading up to the trip. Surprise trip was a One and DONE.

We hope another trip will be in our future, but with high school students, things get trickier. If we are lucky enough to make that dream come true again, we are going to let the boys manage the FP+ arrangements. One important thing we all agree on; a plan is a must... but following it is not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter