birthday trip report...now finished!

I finally remembered to ask Robert where he was while I was shopping. His answer "in the Grand's lobby, dealing with the jerky businesswoman". Ah yes...her....

Which reminds me that...I'm backwards.

I *have to* find my notes.

OK OK, we're working it through.

We went to DCA with the thought that we would have lunch, get in a couple rides, then shop.

But as far as either of us can remember, there were no rides. We got there at a bad time for lunch, meaning...lunchtime. As usual, E got a kid's burrito from Cocina, Robert got a rice bowl, and I got in a year's long line for chili. I got it in a little bowl, and they gave me the bread in a bag. VERY nice! I mean, I asked for it that way...but they were happy to oblige. Got cheese and onions on the top of my chili, mmmmm.

I joined the guys, who were sitting sort of in the middle of a larger table, under an umbrella b/c it was kind of raining a bit. There was another family sitting at the edge of the table. That family was joined by a swarm of teens, and I thought that hubby had sat down with another family without asking about the size of their family! But it turns out he and E had sat down first, then the others sat. The swarm of teens never sat, but they were all in our personal space, making us feel unwelcome at the table, which was really unpleasant for us. :(

I have mental confirmation of the timing, b/c now I remember that E opened up his lego cup and quickly dropped a tiny piece. And we felt weird grubbing under the table for it, because the swarmy family was so close to us.

I think I had a nice hunk of bread with my chili, and was able to put a bit of butter on it. SO good. I highly recommend doing it that way, b/c it's hard to put butter on bread being used as a bowl!

As we ate, it was getting chillier. As we ate, we become happier, but realized how tired we were.

I decided that I wasn't going to spend much more time in the park, and we decided that hopping to DL for one last ride on...something...was out of the question. So the quick plan was that I would walk them to the Monsters area then I'd go shop. But as we walked, we just realized...it was too much.

So, as unfathomable as it might seem, as far as we can remember (and this might change if I find my notes and am proven wrong), we simply said our goodbyes to DCA and went back to the hotel lobby.

From there, I went on to World of Disney, while Robert sat in a comfy chair and E watched some cartoons.

I had mentioned the reactions of kids to him...here's a picture taken around 1pm that day...

IMG_1341.jpg

You can see the redness around his mouth. In person it was so much worse. :( It's only animal-nature for another mammal to avoid someone looking like that. It just hurts the feelings of humans, while it might not hurt the feelings of a different mammal.

And so I went shopping! It was during this whirlwind tour that I turned some items into lost and found (book, sunglasses, cap left on a shelf) and got the dogooder award, at least in my mind.

I toured the whole store. I put things in my shopping bag and then returned them as I found better things. At one point I had at least two purses and maybe a wallet in there as I pondered. I searched the store. I found the height chart that bluedonkey was kind enough to buy and send me before our trip.

And ultimately, I got...

A big current-style bag with elbow handles (doesn't really go on the shoulder easily, so you hold it at your elbow) that's white with green "magnolia" design, and a bright orangeypink Mickey embroidered on it. Turned out that was on a 40% off sale, that wasn't obvious on the shelf, so that was cool!

Mickey head cookie cutter. Or biscuit cutter. Or whatever you want to use it for.

Mickey head frozen "ice" cube thingies, a bag of them.

A "bouquet" of Mickey lollipops for Robert's boss as a (cheap) thank you for being so kind about days off and such.

A bag of the chocolates they give at bed turndown, and a plastic treasure chest with various chocolates...both are current in hiding, and will be given at Yuletime as a fun surprise for E.

oh universe, this is where the receipt would come in handy!!!!

I'm fairly sure there was more. But I can't remember right now.

Remembered! Also got a Mickey head handle popsicle mold. So cute!

Along with those things, since I got to the level where I could buy the Mickey Mouse watch, and since the lady said I could buy as many as I wanted, I bought one for me and one for Robert!

pwp_holiday_watch_2009.jpg

The total with the watches went over the FunCard, so I brought out my Disney Debit card...when she saw that, she told me I get the discount! So she recalculated, and I only paid about $15 over the funcard. All that stuff for $15 of my own dollars!!!!

During my shopping hour or so, I was missing Robert and Eamon so much. I was tired and sad to be leaving, and I texted them that I was lonely...alas, Robert was so tired he didn't hear the text chime until a bit later, then wrote the question of where I was (hello, WOD, where do you think), and so they didn't come join me. Sigh. Well, it made me shop faster.

I got back to the lobby, and Robert had had an adventure with the peeved businesswoman.

What a wonderful shopping trip. I think you did great, and got some good deals especially considering that it was Disney. And you know I love the idea of the bread on the side, I am a real fan of that idea and I shall steal that idea from you when I go next time. Hopefully in June.

When Robert found a seat in the lobby, the closest group of seats was taken up, so he sat on a couch. But the couch was too comfy and was putting him to sleep, so as soon as the other chairs became available he wanted to move.

As that happened, someone beat him to the chairs. A businesswoman with a laptop. Robert brought his stuff over and politely asked if he could sit in one of the three empty chairs. I guess she huffed a bit and said he could, if he was quiet. :rolleyes1

So he put his stuff down and went to talk to Eamon to let him know where he was. Then he came back, and that's when I sent one or two texts, so he was replying to those. These things are NOT noisy. But she started into a tizzy! Asked him to leave "her" group of 4 chairs! :rotfl:

OK so he was overly polite in asking to sit with her, and maybe that gave her the feeling that he was going to comply, and maybe if he had actually been *making noise* he would have understood...but walking over to a kid and talking to him, and answering text messages are NOT noisy things. He wasn't wearing tap shoes or anything! He doesn't have his phone's keypad set up to microphones with speakers he rapidly put around her head. He wasn't making noise. And he told her that she was in a hotel lobby, that it was busy and noisy (and it is!), and that the hotel has a business office area, if she needed quiet.

She didn't much like that, and she packed up her stuff and moved to another area, far away from the cartoon TV (if E were sitting with him, he would have moved there..but he moved to that spot to be closer to E). And almost immediately a big group of people sat down near her (without even asking if they could sit in chairs she wasn't occupying, the nerve!), and she glared, again, at Robert, and stomped off. Seriously woman...the lobby of a hotel is NOT a hushed workspace...

So that was his little adventure that he was still laughing about (and kind of angry about, and kind of wondering what noise he might have been making to peeve her) when I got back.

We knew that Eamon was going to be very jealous of our watches, and we'd seen a kid's watch on our first day in the GCH store, so I took him over there to buy him a watch. He LOVES it. It's a digital watch with 3 bands, and the bands have 2 "layers" so there are two colors. It's still a bit big on him...it's officially for 6 and up...but that doesn't matter to him.

Got back, and Robert was talking up DVC with someone. But he didn't give them one of our referral cards! Crazy man.

Then we just sort of hung out for awhile. I was moving things around in between the bags we had, trying to figure out what to put where.

At one point we realized that even though we don't mind LAX, their food offerings, at least in the Virgin America terminal, are sorely lacking. So Robert ran off to WWS to get a veggie burger and grilled cheese for later. And even more water.

When we were finally ready to move outside for the Disneyland Express (we wanted to be outside around half an hour before the bus came, or maybe 25 minutes) we had the bag people get our bags that they still had. And there went the 3rd to last little bit of our tip money (bus driver and shuttle driver for the parking place were the last tip recipients).

Got out there and met a honeymoon couple. They were cute. Since the groom tophat with Mickey ears on top of it has been discontinued (they now have a strange tuxedo front with tiny top hat on top of THAT, on a normal Mickey ear skullcap thing, hideous IMO), and since the groom has a big noggin (according to the bride), the bride made him a Mickey ear tophat on her own! And it didn't look half bad. :)

My stuff-moving continued, trying to find spaces for things while not making our carryons too big. Finally, Robert suggested that we just spend the extra and check TWO bags instead of just the one. I wrestled with that a bit...and finally agreed that it would be worth it. So there it was, a total of $60 budgeted money, just getting bags onto the plane. From now on, we'll pack lighter OR budget more money to just check more. We love love love Virgin America, but I'm still annoyed at them for starting to charge for checked bags.

At long last the bus came (right on time, we were just tired). And, way too quickly, we got to the airport.

What a wonderful shopping trip. I think you did great, and got some good deals especially considering that it was Disney. And you know I love the idea of the bread on the side, I am a real fan of that idea and I shall steal that idea from you when I go next time. Hopefully in June.

Oh I hope you can go in June!

I loved reading that I could get the bread separate. That bread bowl thing...such a waste for us! We either eat all the bread and I have to deal with Robert passing out from the carbs, or we toss it. Not good! I think I snacked from that bread for 4 days...sourdough really lasts if you keep it from drying out.

Can I steal your Mike Wazowski with Rudoph nose for my own sig? I love it!

Oh I hope you can go in June!

I loved reading that I could get the bread separate. That bread bowl thing...such a waste for us! We either eat all the bread and I have to deal with Robert passing out from the carbs, or we toss it. Not good! I think I snacked from that bread for 4 days...sourdough really lasts if you keep it from drying out.

Can I steal your Mike Wazowski with Rudoph nose for my own sig? I love it!

I got sent a bunch of holiday things in a pm I will forward them to you and then you can have any and all.

Wow that woman was a piece of work. Hello public lobby? Not your seats? Robert was extremely polite, I would have done the same thing. But, what a nasty piece of work she was. I got started text messaging in the hospital so that I wouldn't disturb other people, what a jerk.

I've added in one more purchase Robert remembered I made...I bought this cute Mickey head popsicle-mold thing. :)

We got to the airport with tons of extra time, yay! I mean, it's a super-boring airport (unlike Seatac, which is a feast for the senses and has "street" pricing rules), but after almost missing that plane last December, we were happy to be bored.

Got everything squared away with the airline, and went over to sit down still in that area, to eat whatever food we still had (tried to figure out "is mac and cheese a liquid/gel?" because along with my chili I got the toddler mac/cheese meal to get E a water and b/c he loved that mac/cheese when his Aunt bought it to share with him (she's eats like a bird, to share that tiny portion!)), drink whatever water we had, etc.

Finally got that situated, and ran into a strange thing with TSA. Instead of going upstairs, they had us go *down*. And they weren't being great with the explanations. I don't know if this is just how they are doing it now...but when we watched the NCIS LA that had been shown on Tuesday, we saw that they had a scene set at LAX, and sort of wondered if they had moved things around for that? :confused3

Anyway, instead of going up, we went down. Man that was a long line. Not sure why, but it was!

Then we got to the gate, and found out that every other west coast VA flight was heavily delayed. One flight had been delayed for hours already. I guess there were big storms in San Francisco and that was messing up everything. Our flight was delayed, but not by hours.

The time waiting for the flight was harder than usual. I can't really remember why, but I think exhaustion was a key, along with E not wanting to eat.

At long last our flight was called, and the plane was half empty! In retrospect I wish that we had moved seats, b/c there was a LARGE empty space in the middle of the plane. But we stayed towards the back where a bunch of other people were...come to think of it, maybe we had a half empty flight because flights connecting in/coming from SF couldn't get there?

Robert fell asleep pretty fast. E got hungry almost immediately. I had *nothing* left and he was really grossed out by the leftover veggie burger and grilled cheese...so I checked out the VA offerings. Got a cheese plate for 8 bucks. Well, he loved it. He's a big cheesey kid. :)

And finally he was full and took a nap. Then woke up. Then slept. And woke up. Then it was around half an hour before starting our descent, and I wanted to put his earplanes in. Which I did. And he napped. then about 10 minutes before descent...he lost one. And...he lost it.

He started crying, wailing...he gets VERY dramatic when he's afraid of pain (yet about 2 weeks later dealt with having blood drawn with nary a peep!), and those words include "we're doomed, we're doomed"....oh man that is NOT what I want to hear on a plane! So he was crying and freaking out, and the two kids behind us were totally fine and it was embarrassing and I felt bad for him and everyone...searching for the earplane he lost...I was on the ground as best I could. In a way to explain his growing freakout, I asked the lady behind me if she'd seen the little blue thing on the ground, and she couldn't, and while I was turned that way I explained to the rows behind us what was going on...they were sympathetic.

Still couldn't find it, we were telling him he would be OK and he'd be fine, and he REFUSED to sit down (OMG) and was crying and breathing fast and....he threw up. On Robert.

There are no emoticons for the moment.

Right then...the "seatbelt on" sign went on. :headache::scared:

Since part of the mess was on his seat...sitting wasn't possible, and it wasn't a pleasant thing to be around and it really couldn't be left there.

I had to rush back to the flight attendants and tell them that he'd thrown up, and they gave me a huge wad of paper towels. I ran back, cleaned up some. But we *had to* get into seatbelts, so I grabbed a few towels and Eamon and went to the other row, leaving poor Robert to clean the seat and himself.

As we moved, one of the kind, should get a medal, wonderful women sitting 3-in-a-row behind the mom with kids, handed me a piece of gum for him. At that point...I did not care what was in it. Gum is almost always off limits...sugar-gum is corn syrup. Sugar-free gum has chemicals. Only one brand of gum is OK, and we can't find it outside of Seattle. But I did not care. HE started chewing it and instantly was happier. He knows that gum helps. And it helped.

And it helped things smell a bit better (those artificially sweetened gums really do stink of mint, don't they?).

We made it at long last. We were last off the plane. As people behind us left, I apologized to them and THANKED them for their kindness and patience. I felt SO bad for us making their flight so rotten in that last 40 minutes or so. :sad1: Don't get me wrong, I felt worse for my little guy who got so worked up he got sick...but once the crisis was done I was empathetic towards them. And I do feel awful for Robert, since he got the brunt of it, but since that was the FIRST time he was thrown up on, compared to about 6 times for me (and I'm not even counting the spit-up days), full-on sympathy is limited.

We gathered our stuff, braved the cold, got to our shuttle pickup area. Had to wait what felt like ages...R and I were trying to be jolly for miserable-Eamon and made a silly bet about how many shuttles would go by before it was ours. I said it would be a million. Robert said something like 8. He was right. Shuttle, car, home.

Ahhhhhh.

Right now, I know that I am in a place of missing Disneyland like crazy. I yearn to go there, to see it at Yuletime. We spent early December there the last two years!!!

But I know it's not going to happen in December, and it could only happen at any point in the coming year if we had a windfall AFTER paying off the car and saving everything for WDW.

I am very excited for WDW, and have started a preprepretrip report for it, as Shannon has noticed. I don't even have dates finalized with my cousin, but I'm already writing about it. And to make the trip even more fun, we've decided we're going to work in some kitschy "old" florida stuff, like DinoWorld and such.

It's going to be a whole new world, albeit similar in spots, from Disneyland/CA. I'm learning everything again, even though honestly I check out the WDW sections of this board every time I log in. I thought I knew quite a bit, but actually thinking of "what day would I do that park" is very different from more general thoughts!

But I am going to miss Disneyland Resort for the next year, that's for sure.

It really colored our trip-memories for a week or so!

I have learned though...I think I'm going to get trip insurance, a thing I have never gotten, in the future. Because by all rights, we should not have gone on this trip. We were too dang tired. And then obviously, in retrospect, E picked up a bug while there and it smacked his tired immune system, and we just should not have been there.

Either that or we're going to have to go back to Southwest, so that our fares don't get money taken from them if we have to cancel. But I love VA so much!

I just don't ever want to go somewhere *right after* being sick, and I would hate the idea of not being able to play on vacation b/c I was actively sick and have no interest in spreading, so I'd like to just be able to go home (or not go).

Gotta dig up my paperwork for DVC points trip insurance...

I had mentioned the reactions of kids to him...here's a picture taken around 1pm that day...

IMG_1341.jpg

You can see the redness around his mouth. In person it was so much worse. :( It's only animal-nature for another mammal to avoid someone looking like that. It just hurts the feelings of humans, while it might not hurt the feelings of a different mammal.

Oh...Poor guy. Having his mouth probably hurting and then getting his feelings hurt too. That is enough to put a damper on anything. I hope his mouth feels better. My kids always get dry, chapped skin around their mouths during the winter (fortunately just from licking their lips and not from being sick..knock on wood) and it is impossible to heal. They do not like putting anything on it because of the taste and feel. Anyway, I hope he is feeling better now.

What a trip home you had. I am sure most of the people on the plane felt nothing but sympathy for you, Robert and Eamon. For those who were annoyed, well, you'll never see them again. :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing your trip. It is always fun to read about your families' adventures.

I forgot to mention E, Kody used to have that problem when ever she got a cold. I finally too her to the Dr, and it was an infection of sorts and we had to put an ointment on her face. Poor guy, I feel for him it never was fun. Even at the advanced age of 15 she had problems whenshe had her last cold.

Great end to your trip report Molly! Poor Robert, getting puked on. I agree about the trip insurance in theory, but I wonder if I would have the forsight to actually use it in the circumstances you were in. I mean actively sick yes, but mostly recovered, it would be hard to not go.

I think that, after this experience, I'd be OK using the insurance. It was just so exhausting. You saw us on our first night, and you saw Eamon sleeping for over an hour. He does not nap anymore, so that was weird...I should have known then.

I was so glad to see you and meet your son and friends, but the rest of the trip was just so hard, because E and I had been so sick, and he got the "bounceback" (I've been reading WDW threads too much!) illness to boot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter