Black Hawk Down

wvjules

DIS Veteran
was on Starz last night so I watched it. Some parts of that movie were really hard to watch especially considereing the times.

I know we're going to have more troops going into Baghdad, but is that what urban warfare is going to be like?

That was a tough movie to watch, apparently pretty realistic with advice from military. I do not think it will be like that, only my thought though.

I could not watch that movie, because I remember watching the real thing on the news.

I feel for the families that lost their loved ones and what those people did to their bodies.

Lisajl

I only watched it last night because I had seen a documentry on it a few weeks ago. And it was pretty close to what happened. How sad to see what they did to those people.:(

Jules, Urban warfare will only be like it was in Black Hawk Down in a worst case senerio. I am sure we will do much to prevent the same type of situation from ever happening again.

The difference is that the former President and his Sec of State refused to give the Soldiers the tools they requested to make the job safer and easier. General Garrison had requested armored vehicles and AC-130 Gunships be sent to Somalia and was denied (NOTE... this is not a knock on the former administration, but is a fact). This time around our troops will have all they ask for and more.

That's a good thing...they will have all they ask for and more.

I just can't understand how they could do that to someone.

I don't care how much I dislike someone, I would never, never do what they did.

Lisajl

I agree with Grog here... what happened then did not need to happen had they gotten the help needed..
I did watch the movie and made myself sick crying over it... and today when they said that a pilot may be down and they were looking for him all I could think of was that movie..

Jules you really should read the book. It goes into alot more detail than the movie did. There are many reasons why that mission failed. The Rangers and the Deltas did NOT get along or work together at all. The backup and equipment needed was denied. The interworkings of the different military units trying to work together fell apart. The whole thing was just messed up.

It was messed up because the brave soldiers's werent allowed to use the proper equipment that was needed for the job, that was denied by a person who "loathed the military"!!! There fore had little concern abut letting them use the proper equipment and was much more concerned about PR that the safety of the soldiersrs!!!

In the documentry the poilt that was captured and eventually released(thank God) said that the mission should have never been done during the day because the Black Hawks are meant to be used in the "cover" of night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter