BLT or CC with young kids?

cmorrison87

Earning My Ears
Trying to decide whether to stay at BLT or CC for a Fall 2019 trip. I have two young children (3 yrs and 22mos). Is BLT worth the convenience of being walking distance to MK? Also trying to rent points so we can have a kitchenette and share the room with grandparents. Is a one bedroom too tight with 4 adults and the 2 little ones? Thanks!

I would rent 2 studios it will be the same price-- you will be happier with the ones at CC as the BLT ones are smaller.
Worth is an opinion I prefer CC as don't enjoy BLT as much and you will likely spend more time at the resort than parks with kids that age.... But the walk is very easy from BLT...
You say Fall that is food and wine festival time and ALL DVC resorts are in high demand if you plan on getting either one of those resorts you will need to book and pay at 11 months out--so contact the agency before and set everything up. I would believe you will have a better chance at BLT in a lake view room as the resort is fairly large but you may be able to CC as above it has to be set up at 11 months out... Good luck

Thanks for the tips! I've already reached out to Davids DVC rentals to start the process. I really hope something becomes available @ the 11 mo mark. Will look into two studios or possibly a 2 bedroom. Liked the idea of having a separate room for the kids to put them to bed and then having a common area to hang out in while they're sleeping/napping.

When staying with the kids we love BLT. Nothing better than just walking right to mk with out having to worry about buses or any other transportation. Also the quick walk back if the kids are tired makes it a no brainier for us. Also the added advantage on watching the fireworks from your room depending on the view you have is an added bonus. If the kids are sleeping you can still get a chance to watch them.

If you get a 1 BR at either with 4 adults and 2 children I believe you will be crowded. 2 adults will be sleeping on a pull out couch in the living room and they will have little to no privacy. I think 2 Studios is actually more expensive than a 1 BR.
Ideally I would choose a 2 BR.

Thanks! Hoping to get a 2 BR, but if points weren't available @ BLT, was going to see if we could make a 1BR work. Maybe two studios is a better backup plan.

Although I love CC, I think BLT will be much more convenient with two young children. You will be able to walk/monorail to MK and also monorail to EP (via transfer at TTC). The boat from WL to MK is lovely, but I find the bus transportation from there to the other parks is not great as they usually share with Ft. W. Plus, by staying at BLT, you'll have easy transportation to GF and Poly if you'd like to travel elsewhere for dinner, etc. I find folding strollers on buses to be quite cumbersome.

For price and your group size, I would go for two studios at Poly. You would wouldn't need to pull the couch out in that scenario. The 3yo could sleep on the pull down and the 22mo in either the other pull down or pack n play.
So, you get a little more options.

For a 2-bdrm, I like BLT. You would have 3 bathrooms.

BLT is my very favorite resort. I own at both BLT and CC, so I like them both a lot.

When we went with my parents, we got a lock-off 2-bdrm. My parents got the studio to themselves and my family (2 adults, 2 kids) had the one bedroom. When everyone was up and ready in the morning, we both opened our connecting doors.

Yes, you can keep strollers open on the monorail.

For reference
In October for 1 week:
2 studios, BLT (lake view) - 256
2 studios, Poly (standard view) - 260
2 studios, CC - 214
2 bdrm, BLT (lake view) - 315
2 bdrm, CC - 278

I thought about 2 studios, but my only concern about that is if they weren't connecting (not even sure if this is possible with studios) or near each other, we couldn't put the kids to bed in one room, then have another common area/room to hang out in when they were sleeping/napping. Never been to Disney with my own two kids, so I'm not even sure how sleeping is going to go. Hoping they will just be exhausted and sleep wherever whenever, but my three year old can be a bit difficult at night time and I'm not sure either of them would fall asleep if we were in the room.

The BLT would be much more convenient for little kids. You can keep the stroller unfolded on the monorail. A 2 bdr would be nice but a 1 bdr could work depending on how the adults sleeping on the pullout feel about it. If it is going to be a week long or more trip, it might be better to get a 2bdr.

I thought about 2 studios, but my only concern about that is if they weren't connecting (not even sure if this is possible with studios) or near each other, we couldn't put the kids to bed in one room, then have another common area/room to hang out in when they were sleeping/napping. Never been to Disney with my own two kids, so I'm not even sure how sleeping is going to go. Hoping they will just be exhausted and sleep wherever whenever, but my three year old can be a bit difficult at night time and I'm not sure either of them would fall asleep if we were in the room.

Poly is the only DVC resort with connecting studios, and it’s only a request (although very likely to be met because very few of the studios don’t connect). Personally, if budget allows I’d try for a 2-bedroom at BLT. Plenty of space, 3 bathrooms, full kitchen (Poly only has toaster, microwave & coffeemaker), and W/D in the unit, which with young kids might be useful! My 2nd choice would be 2-bedroom at CCV. It’s a little smaller and has only 2 bathrooms but has all the other benefits. Finally, if 2-bedroom isn’t feasible, I think a 1-bedroom would be better than 2 studios, for the living space, kitchen and W/D.

I’d also go for a two bedroom if budget allows. I prefer the theming at CC but the location of BLT can’t really be beaten, so in my position I’d say it is a case of whether I’d prefer the setting or the location.

Both the studios at CCV and BLT are tiny. Legit tiny. A BLT 1BR is much more spacious. 2 studios at Poly would be nice for privacy.

CCV is still pretty hard to rent. It's new. It'll be fully declared and all points sold out by next year, but possibly not by your 11 month date. Most new owners don't rent their points the first 2-3 years of ownership. BLT will be a far easier "get," particularly if you budget for Lake View.

I would also do a 2 bedroom over 2 studios. You will have SO MUCH more room and a full kitchen/dining. A studio is essentially a standard hotel room size. I am not well versed in every DVC configuration, but a 2 bed is sometimes a lock-off by default. We travel with grands and we do a variety of configurations but our kids are now teenagers. The best configuration has been the 2 bed that is really a lock off for privacy.

I think with kids your ages access to MK would be at the top of my priority.

When we stayed at BLT, guests were told to fold up their strollers getting on the monorail at the Contemporary.

Maybe it’s crowd levels as we have a double in line City Select (honking massive) and we always leave the kids in it on the monorail(frequently napping). No ones ever said anything to us. We make sure it doesn’t take anymore space than two people standing would.

The bigger in closed boats you can stroll right on to. The little boats and of course the bus you have to fold up.

Maybe it’s crowd levels as we have a double in line City Select (honking massive) and we always leave the kids in it on the monorail(frequently napping). No ones ever said anything to us. We make sure it doesn’t take anymore space than two people standing would.

The bigger in closed boats you can stroll right on to. The little boats and of course the bus you have to fold up.

That brings up another question: would you reccomend a double side by side or a double tandem/in-line?

That brings up another question: would you recommend a double side by side or a double tandem/in-line?

Varies per family I guess. We own a double Bob and double City Select and prefer the double City Select inline while at Disney. We love the way the seats drop to a complete 180 degrees for nap time. Our kids still take BIG naps in the park and the City select really helps that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter