BLT refurb going on this summer? when will we know?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
HI, I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who rents me their points. We love BLT -we are 3 adults and get the 1 bedroom. From what I'm reading, it's on the list to be refurbed in the near future. He doesn't own there, so for an August stay, we would book after the new year. Do you think ( I know nothing is certain), that by Jan or Feb we would definitely know if Bay lake is starting the refurb? I don't want to miss out booking that 1 bedroom, but on the other hand, I don't know if I want to stay there during construction. When the contemporary was being done, our room from BLT looked right out to the painting/sanding of the outside of the building-it was pretty loud, I think they were jack hammering the old railings off of the balconies.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

HI, I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who rents me their points. We love BLT -we are 3 adults and get the 1 bedroom. From what I'm reading, it's on the list to be refurbed in the near future. He doesn't own there, so for an August stay, we would book after the new year. Do you think ( I know nothing is certain), that by Jan or Feb we would definitely know if Bay lake is starting the refurb? I don't want to miss out booking that 1 bedroom, but on the other hand, I don't know if I want to stay there during construction. When the contemporary was being done, our room from BLT looked right out to the painting/sanding of the outside of the building-it was pretty loud, I think they were jack hammering the old railings off of the balconies.
BLT dues are only going up 2.22% in 2024 - that's on the low end for DVC dues. Maybe they are pushing it out a year?

If we're going to be told it will be at the annual meeting coming up in a month or so.

The dues increase would have no relationship to return. Refurb is funded by capital budget collected over a 7 year period.
That's interesting - I learned something today, thanks! Do they "bank" 7 year prior or do they go into "debt" and pay 7 years after (like a bond)?. Reason I ask, BLT dues have historically been less and gone up less - which as a BLT owner I am thrilled about. Should I expect to see the dues go up in future years or have they already gone up? Or, now that I think about it, do the refurbs just follow a 7 year schedule and there is never any difference?

That's interesting - I learned something today, thanks! Do they "bank" 7 year prior or do they go into "debt" and pay 7 years after (like a bond)?. Reason I ask, BLT dues have historically been less and gone up less - which as a BLT owner I am thrilled about. Should I expect to see the dues go up in future years or have they already gone up? Or, now that I think about it, do the refurbs just follow a 7 year schedule and there is never any difference?
You can view the resort budgets and look at Capital Reserves. They will go down after the refurb. Resorts do not go into debt.

Refurb is on aa roughly 7 year schedule, with some fuzziness (6-9 years).

Any timeshare/condo association etc builds a capital reserve fund up for future replacement expenses. Or they should. The states I'm familiar with it's required.

In general vs what DVC may actually do the way it works is it's their best estimate for required expenditures that are not normally operating but larger capital items such as roof or room refurbs. The 7 year thing is fairly new in the realm of DVC but they could easily be accumulating for larger expenses further out too. The reserve is normally untouchable for non-reserve items so it just continues building with payments for the capital expenditures coming out of it. They likely can reallocate from one reserve line item to another if costs go higher or lower than expected.

I glanced at the BWV budget and noticed under Capital Reserves a chart showing, for instance, Roof, expected life, cost to replace, etc. and several other items similarly analyzed. So you might look at BLT’s proposed budget and the details therein. To get more detail would require an appointment for an in-person visit to the DVC offices in Celebration.

Commenting to also keep track of this post ...
This link says the schedule is confirmed, https://www.dvcnews.com/other-resources/site-content/5196-dvc-resort-refurbishment-tracker, BUT...

I'm a BLT owner and I was looking 2 months ago at availability in August because we were talking about going with another family, and whole swaths of 2br std in August were gone. I wish I'd taken a screenshot, this was in the 10 month window. I figured maybe I'd have to book LV or something, and in any event since our friends hadn't confirmed dates, I figured I'd just look again later. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and all of a sudden the calendar in August has tons of availability, which made me wonder if they dumped the inventory back in because they'd made a decision NOT to do the refurb, or to do it on a different schedule. Will hold on for news, I guess.

Sounds like at the DVC meeting yesterday it's been reported to start in 2024 and finish in 2025? Is that what to infer?

There's been no indication of start date?

Still wondering whether to keep or switch my room in late August 2024.

Sounds like at the DVC meeting yesterday it's been reported to start in 2024 and finish in 2025? Is that what to infer?

There's been no indication of start date?

Still wondering whether to keep or switch my room in late August 2024.
Only indication was late 2024 and will take a year.

The refurb will not be complete.
Will it even have been started, though?

When I had tried to book for August (back in September) there were a lot of gaps in the rooms (2br deducated) it’s never been *that* blocked at that time of year at or near 11 mo. Then I checked back in November and lots of rooms wide open, which had me wondering if something had changed with the timeline. Clearly it has, but I might be willing to take my chances if the refurb will have started, but if it’s not even started then I’m probably going to switch somewhere else.

We got super lucky at VGF one Christmas and got a brand new room. That one couldn’t have been moved, so we’d have taken whatever we got and been thankful we didn’t get moved.

Will it even have been started, though?

When I had tried to book for August (back in September) there were a lot of gaps in the rooms (2br deducated) it’s never been *that* blocked at that time of year at or near 11 mo. Then I checked back in November and lots of rooms wide open, which had me wondering if something had changed with the timeline. Clearly it has, but I might be willing to take my chances if the refurb will have started, but if it’s not even started then I’m probably going to switch somewhere else.

We got super lucky at VGF one Christmas and got a brand new room. That one couldn’t have been moved, so we’d have taken whatever we got and been thankful we didn’t get moved.
It's not sounding like it, based on how stuff was phrased. Whether it starts late 2024 or early 2025 they are saying it is going to take, like, forever and ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter