Blue Bayou accommodations?

Elmo888

DIS Veteran
I would like to eat at Blue Bayou for the atmosphere but not crazy about the menu. I eat vegetarian and not a bunch of gluten. The one option is a veg pasta with cream sauce, and that doesn't appeal to me. I am happy to eat sides/appetizers, but there isn't much to choose from. The Cafe Orleans menu looks much more appealing - salad, pomme frites, Bolognese pasta.

Will Blue Bayou make accommodations if requested?

This is essentially our first trip to DL, and I don't know when we will back. I am trying to hit must dos for first timers (ones that appeal to us!).

Thanks!

I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but if the food they serve at the Blue Bayou doesn't appeal to you, I don't think the atmosphere alone justifies the expense. Being able to see Pirates of the Caribbean departing is a novelty. And while that's pretty cool, the novelty wears off quickly, and you don't give it much thought after the first few minutes (at least we didn't). Then it's just a restaurant set in a nice, idealized, Disney-esque treatment of a bayou.

So I don't see it as a must-do or even something I would necessarily recommend to a first-time visitor. I'm not saying I'd never go back. I would take someone there who I thought it would particularly appeal to, but it's not my default "you've got to experience this" Disney restaurant.

As to the actual question you asked... I'd be surprised if they didn't make that kind of accommodation for you if you let the know ahead of time, but I don't really know.

Have a great trip! I really love being at Disneyland with first-time guests. I hope you have a magical experience!

I do DL with people who have lots of dietary restrictions. I haven't gone to Blue Bayou with them because from what I've read on these boards, they don't make a lot of changes like all of the other restaurants do.

The one thing I've seen posted several times is that you can order off the child's menu and they will bring a double order out for you at a higher price if anything on that menu appeals to you.

Sadly, I have to agree with the above poster. If you really aren't interested in the food that they have, it isn't worth eating there. It does have an interesting atmosphere, but it honestly isn't worth the cost.

I mostly agree with PP too, and while I don't have a direct answer to your question, I just made a res at BB for our upcoming trip in November, and when I made the reservation online there was a section to set preferences--I forget what all was on there, but there was a whole host of stuff, including vegetarian and gluten-free. So while I'm not sure what they offer as GF options, they are certainly aware that many of their guests have this need and prepare for it ahead of time.

I would not count on it.
Also if you're going for atmosphere alone there's not much of it.
Its VERY dark in there and if you don't get a table next to the water then there's literally no atmosphere at all.
Either eat the food provided or choose somewhere else.

I appreciate the information. That's good to know that it isn't considered a must do by everyone. Maybe we will just skip it and go to Cafe Orleans! I am glad that I asked.

I’m going to be in the minority here and say the atmosphere is worth it. It’s become tradition for us to eat here every trip even though we’re not crazy about the food. I’m a vegetarian and they’ve always been fantastic about accommodating me. I just mark it on the reservation and usually the chef comes out and asks me what I want. They’ve offered me variations of vegetable pastas, some type of mushroom sandwich, etc. I’m picky so I always just go with a plain pasta with cheese and marina and it’s always great. So as far as accommodations go, they’re amazing when it comes to that. As for atmosphere being worth the cost, that’s a personal preference. Their desserts are amazing too.

Everyone is different. For me, BB was something I'd wanted to do since I first noticed the restaurant at age 7. After 30 years, I finally got to eat there, and it totally lived up to the hype. It's worth a call to the Disney dining line to see if they can tell you what accommodations, if any, can be made.

I doubt that Blue Bayou would give you the sort of accommodation where you could have them make the Cafe Orleans stuff that you are more interested in. BUT...you don't necessarily have to order an entire entree. You could order a starter (like that beet salad they have on their menu) and when everyone else's entrees are ready, you could have a regular garden salad (i.e., the salad that you're given as a 1st course with regular main entrees). And then get dessert.

Then go to Cafe Orleans for a different meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter