Blue Bayou/Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

myers2170

Myers2170
What do you think about these two? Positives/negatives of each?? Considering both for our first trip. Any suggestions on what time to make our reservations for?? Lunch or Dinner? The Blue Bayou atmosphere definitely looks awesome!!!

What do you think about these two? Positives/negatives of each?? Considering both for our first trip. Any suggestions on what time to make our reservations for?? Lunch or Dinner? The Blue Bayou atmosphere definitely looks awesome!!!

We just had lunch at Blue Bayou last week. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. I have no idea how the servers see anything. Too dark. We had a waterside table, but POTC wasn't running. Had a monte Christo. We actually shared one and it was too much food! Maybe it's one of those you gotta do it once kind of things, but I don't need to go back.

We love the big thunder. Delicious food, a picnic atmosphere, not terribly expensive, the waiters are fun. For us, blue bayou isn't the type of food we would eat. Nor is the atmosphere something we would like. We like a more relaxed atmosphere.

I'm not a fan of Blue Bayou, I didn't think the food was all that great. We've never done the BBQ but we're going to give it a try in August!

Blue Bayou and Big Thunder are both must do family traditions for us when we head to DLR.

Blue Bayou for lunch, we do a opening reservation for around 11:30am so we can get a waterside table without much wait.... and the Monte Christo is only available on the lunch menu there. We do 2 split plate orders for our family of four.

BTR BBQ we like to do dinner and my teen boys love to have rib eating contests. They eat enough to make up for the rest of us.

Blue Bayou and Big Thunder are both must do family traditions for us when we head to DLR.

Blue Bayou for lunch, we do a opening reservation for around 11:30am so we can get a waterside table without much wait.... and the Monte Christo is only available on the lunch menu there. We do 2 split plate orders for our family of four.

BTR BBQ we like to do dinner and my teen boys love to have rib eating contests. They eat enough to make up for the rest of us.

This is us exactly except for the Monte Cristo. My kids always go for the Jumbalaya. Lunch at 11:30. Waterside. :thumbsup2

All you can eat BTRBBQ is also a winner with my kids.

We do both most every trip.

:wizard:

I prefer BB at dinner. Surf and turf is really good!!

Never tried BBQ. Thinking about it next trip. Great reviews on the Dis :)

I have enjoyed eating at both places; but they are very different experiences so I would have trouble comparing them side by side. It really just depends on what you are looking for, and what you want out of your dining experience.

BTBBQ is outdoor, all you can eat BBQ. We went at dinner but early dinner so it was really dead even though it was August. DH and I loved the ribs and sausage, the corn, the cornbread; the chicken was ok, not our favorite and so when we got seconds we skipped asking for chicken. DH always complain at BBQ joints that he walks away hungry; not an issue here. Very relaxed, casual, eat with your hands type of meal. ;)

BB on the other hand we enjoy on a more for a date night type of dinner. :lovestruc It was only DH and myself and he wanted to go here for his birthday dinner. We had never had a surf and turf meal before and we both loved it. We have eaten here both our last 2 trips and probably will again this year. It is about the atmosphere, we really like the type of food they serve but it is very dark, especially coming in from the very sunny outside.

I would eat at both again but for very different reasons so, really it just depends on what you and those you are traveling with want to experience.

I don't think you can go wrong either way!!:goodvibes

Hijacking here, sorry. Is BB completely indoors, or are outside tables available?

We love Big Thunder BBQ however last year was not a good experience as the ribs were nearly burnt and this was from the first serving through the fourth! lol

We love the big thunder. Delicious food, a picnic atmosphere, not terribly expensive, the waiters are fun. For us, blue bayou isn't the type of food we would eat. Nor is the atmosphere something we would like. We like a more relaxed atmosphere.

:thumbsup2

I really like both venues, but it depends a little on when you're going.

Blue Bayou: I really like the atmosphere of the restaurant. It's inside the PotC building (at the start, before the drop, in the "bayou" sequence), so it's on the dark side, but that adds to the ambiance. I've not really noticed much noise coming from the boats; the waving and flash photography is mutual (i.e., I've seen people on the boat and people in the restaurant do both). It's on the pricey side, but I do like the food a lot. The Monte Cristo is only available at lunch, but I'm more of a fan of the braised beef short ribs and the jambalaya. The gumbo (starter) is also very good!

Asking for a water side table is very popular, so be prepared to told it'll add 45+ minutes to your wait. Normally it doesn't take that long, but it might. One note, if you have an 11:30 am reservation (when the restaurant opens), you're very likely to get a water side table. Guests with an 11:45 am or noon reservation will have to wait for that first round of guests to finish before water side tables come open. So in that case, a 45 minute wait is very possible.

Big Thunder BBQ: I love the casual feel of the restaurant and the all-you-care-to-eat ribs. It is entirely outdoors, so you're experience is weather dependent. They do not open when it's raining outside. When it's very hot outside, I can imagine this would also be uncomfortable. There are shade coverings, but depending on the angle, so seats end up in the sun. This is a place I like to go either in the Spring or Fall, when the weather is mild. There is also entertainment; think kind of corny-country. It's fun/funny, but not an integral part of the meal.

We love both of them. The only cons for us are the cost and time it takes to eat there.

Hmm, I've always considered BB to be relaxed atmosphere. It's supposed to simulate eating on the patio of a plantation with the bayou in the background. That's seems relaxing to me. No one is ever dressed up and there are kids galore. Maybe it's because I've only been for lunch but I consider it to be pretty relaxed as well.

We love both as well, but usually the BTRBB wins out on every trip. We did BB once for my DH's bday but it isn't a must for each trip. The barbeque on the other hand, we all love. We love the corny-country entertainment and everything about it.

Also thank you for the info.... We are trying out both BTR and BB on our trip next month

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter