Blue Bayou with Kids?

CaseyK

Mouseketeer
So trying to decide if we do the Blue Bayou this time. DH and I have had lunch there two trips ago while my mom watched the kids. Last trip we did Cafe Orleans. POTC is one of my son's all time favorite rides (before he was 2 on our trip he was singing "yo ho yo ho" from his stroller!). He has asked about the place to eat in the ride and was thinking it would be a nice treat this time. Kids are 6 and 8, and my mom will be with me on this trip (DH has to work and miss out) and I thought it would be nice to treat her to this meal for helping. We would be doing this instead of a character meal- which would be the first time in 4 trips we have not done one!!
So- is it worth it with kids? Or should I stick with the character meal?

I've done BB with kids and felt like we didn't get our moneys worth. The kids really didn't care for it. They did not appreciate the candle light (too dark) and although they are not picky eaters, they didn't care for the food. Your kids might be different, but my opinion is go for the character meal instead.

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "worth it"...I like the BB, but it's not nearly as active/entertaining as a character meal. I think some 6 and 8 years would enjoy it, while others would get bored fairly quickly. So, I would say it largely depends on how much your children like table service dining in general (I know a kid who would love it and another who would be getting antsy after 20 minutes). It is dark inside the restaurant, so video screens (e.g., cell phones) can be annoying to other guests, as is flash photography. If you do go, I would request a waterside table when you check-in.

If it were me, I would probably lean towards character meals at that age. Not because kids can't handle TS meals, but there seems to be a finite period when children like character meals (at least until they become adults and nostalgia kicks in). So I would take advantage of that while they still like character meals and save BB for when they reach the "I'm too old for characters"-phase.

I've taken my niece and nephew multiple times to Blue Bayou, starting at 2 years old. They enjoyed that it was "outside" and that the pirate boats kept floating by.

We're taking our 6 year old son to BB when we go! My son is not into stuff like character meals, etc. He's way more into the pirate ride and the BB atmosphere. Last time he was at Disney he was 4 and he still remembers seeing the restaurant from the ride. He's super excited to eat there! He is a well behaved kid and won't get bored without a character there, etc. I totally agree with the PP that said it's totally all about what is a good fit for you and your kids! :)

My daughter was 7 when we went to the Blue Bayou and she liked it. We sat fairly close to the water so I think that's why she enjoyed it.

Yeah make sure and request waters edge. That way the kids can wave to the pirates floating by :)

We are going with our kids who are 11. We have never been there before and my biggest concern is if it will be the dreaded "too spicy". Also they are not big eaters and the price is so high , but we are doing it also for fantasmic. I plan on asking for a waterside table. I think they will enjoy the atmosphere.

They sell mac and cheese on the kiddos menu. Nothing is really spicy except maybe the gumbo might be a little big spicy for kids mouths. The kids sizes are good portions

My girls have been going since they turned 4. They all love it; it's usually a must-do. I know all kids are different but you can probably tell now whether or not your kids will be into it.

My girls all share a meal. They don't like the kids menu so they share an adult entree. When we go for lunch, they have the Monte Cristo. Again, there are many who don't like that so it's hard to tell other people whether or not it's worth it, but if you think your kids would, you're probably right! They used to have a kids menu that turned into a pirate hat; that was fun! We all got one (dh and I included) and wore them during the meal.

We have taken my then DS10 and DS5. Both boys thought it was cool because we were inside a ride. They also got the glowing ice cubes in their drinks which was a big hit. I don't think it's as fun as a character breakfast, but still a good alternative to do something different.

My girls have been going since they turned 4. They all love it; it's usually a must-do. I know all kids are different but you can probably tell now whether or not your kids will be into it.

My girls all share a meal. They don't like the kids menu so they share an adult entree. When we go for lunch, they have the Monte Cristo. Again, there are many who don't like that so it's hard to tell other people whether or not it's worth it, but if you think your kids would, you're probably right! They used to have a kids menu that turned into a pirate hat; that was fun! We all got one (dh and I included) and wore them during the meal.

BB with a 2-yr old was a fate which was only slightly more favorable than being waterboarded.

BB with a 2-yr old was a fate which was only slightly more favorable than being waterboarded.

Oh that doesn't sound good. We did Cafe Orleans last year with a 2 yr old and it was awful. We're doing BB this year and I'm hoping the boats keep him entertained now that he's 3.

PS: why are Disneyland high chairs so dang small?

We just went at Christmastime with out 6, 8, & 9 year olds...they LOVED it! Especially our 8yo dd who has celiac & got warn gluten free bread.

Have fun whatever your decision is!

If you do decide to do it, why not get a F! Fastpass? That would make it a character meal with a difference!:)

The first time we did BB it was with a 1 year old and a 3 year old. They loved it. The next time was with a 1 1/2 year old, 3 1/2 year old, and a 6 year old. This last time 5 kids, 5, 7, 7, 10, 11. They've always liked the food, the atmosphere, etc. But my kids have been dining out since they were babies, so sitting in a restaurant has never been a huge issue...It really is great when combined with the F! package, IMO.

So trying to decide if we do the Blue Bayou this time. DH and I have had lunch there two trips ago while my mom watched the kids. Last trip we did Cafe Orleans. POTC is one of my son's all time favorite rides (before he was 2 on our trip he was singing "yo ho yo ho" from his stroller!). He has asked about the place to eat in the ride and was thinking it would be a nice treat this time. Kids are 6 and 8, and my mom will be with me on this trip (DH has to work and miss out) and I thought it would be nice to treat her to this meal for helping. We would be doing this instead of a character meal- which would be the first time in 4 trips we have not done one!!
So- is it worth it with kids? Or should I stick with the character meal?

If your child is already asking, I'm sure he would enjoy it. When I went there with my 3 boys, we were lucky enough to sit right by the water and they were so excited to watch the boats go by. However, I have a friend who got placed far from the water and their kids weren't at all thrilled. It ended up being like a boring adult restaurant for them.

Our first visit the girls were 6 & 9, we ate at BB and they LOVED it!!! We ate there many more times over the years of having AP's and they loved it every time. They both prefer the food from the kids menu and they loved the Pirate Punch (raspberry lemonade iirc) and later the glow cubes. When we talk about DLR now they still talk about the BB. I'd do it, we liked lunch time better (because it's bright outside but dark inside and then bright outside again lol) and we liked to get the 11:30 reservation time so we could get that highly prized waterside table. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter