• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blue bayou worth the cost??

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
Hi everybody,

I've done disney many times, but never to this day have we sat down for a full service meal at Disney. We are hardcore snackers and counter service users (aka we are cheap... Haha)

Next years trip will be extra special though. Our currently in my belly baby will be turning 1 AND it'll be hubby and I's 5th anniversary. We plan to do a character meal with our boys to celebrate the birthday and are thinking about an anniversary dinner (just the two of us) at Blue Bayou. I've always wanted to eat there because of the ambience.
However...
We find it incredibly hard to pay over $20 per person for a meal and I know blue bayour will end up being double that per person. So my question is, is it really worth it??? Or is there a better way to celebrate our anniversary in the parks??

We find it incredibly hard to pay over $20 per person for a meal

Based on what you are saying its hard to advise you on this.... I believe that it is worth it, and something every big Disney fan should experience at least once. Maybe take a look at the menu at BB and then decide based on if those things offered sound good to you.

If it's the type of thing where you will be thinking about the cost instead of being able to enjoy yourself than it may not be worth it for you.

so worth it and I didnt find it very pricey. $117 for 4 people is pretty great

I think it's worth it and we make a point to eat there every trip. I haven't eaten at any of the other more expensive locations...just keeping going back to BB.

I've never been to Disneyland and not gone. So for us, it's turned into tradition. I have some friends who are also very "cheap," and even they love it! :rotfl: Having said that, check out the menu and see if you like that sort of food. The bread and butter is awsome! So is the short ribs and island chicken! Their potatoes are awsome, too. They are sliced potatoes with cheese. Yummy! The Monte Cristo sandwhich is a favorite of my husbands, although I know you can get that outside of the BB. We go for the ambiance just as much as we do the food!

It's hard to answer questions about whether something is "worth it" or not. I will say that my family enjoys dining at the BB since we love the ambiance. Without that, I would say it's way overpriced. We go often, but not every trip. Like others have said, look at the menu and see what you think.:)

My family would say no. We just feel there are better options and we aren't willing to pay for the ambiance when it isn't something we enjoy (to be fair, not one person in my family enjoys the POTC ride, so it makes sense we wouldn't enjoy the restaurant either) and we can get what we feel is far better quality of food elsewhere.

But the folks who love POTC, and those who love BB, sure do seem to love it. There is something to that experience for them, that something is just lost on us.

I have a hard time paying $35 a head for dinner, too, but I did try it once and loved it. The salmon was AMAZING. There are ways to reduce the cost. Drink water. Split an entree and add extra sides with the "split plate" option, which is around $12. Don't order dessert. I think it is worth trying once, especially for a special occasion.

Zbugz

We have no problem with the price - we have paid $300 for a meal for the 4 of us before - but honestly, when we looked at the menu we knew our kids would likely not enjoy it for the cost.

It seems like a neat setting but it's very subjective.

If you find it hard to pay more than $20 a person, I would think many places in DLR are going to be considered expensive though, so hopefully if you do decide to splurge then check out the menus so you are picking the right place.

Also, as someone else said - if you are going to be worrying about the money then it will really reduce the enjoyment of the meal and make the whole experience futile.

We have never eaten a meal at Blue Bayou, but we have enjoyed dessert and coffee there a couple times to celebrate birthdays. You may consider that as you can enjoy the ambiance inexpensively.

My family would say no. We just feel there are better options and we aren't willing to pay for the ambiance when it isn't something we enjoy
We have to agree with you. Now, we don't have a problem paying for meals $20-50 a person, but for us, the atmosphere does not make up for the food. Everyone has their choices. I prefer to spend $60 each for Fantasmic! seating or dinner at Carthay, or in May $80 for brunch on Mother's Day. But for us, Blue Bayou wasn't worth it.

We are totally willing to pay the price, but not for as poor as the food quality at BB had gotten last time we were there. We prefer to sink those funds into one of the nicer restaurants, generally Storyteller's.

We are totally willing to pay the price, but not for as poor as the food quality at BB had gotten last time we were there. We prefer to sink those funds into one of the nicer restaurants, generally Storyteller's.

Has the food quality gone downhill? I usually go every yr but last yr our kids were sick and we had to cancel our reservations. So I was there in 2011 last. Has it changed? I hope not. I liked it, a lot, at that time. I'm picky, too.

Hi everybody,

However...
We find it incredibly hard to pay over $20 per person for a meal

I'd like to know where you can go anywhere that is a sit down restaurant and get out for less than $20 per person. It easily costs my wife and $40 just to go to Chili's, and that food is NOT Disney quality.

We've been to BB twice and I probably won't go back unless its just dh and I. There wasn't anything my kids would eat on the menu so we fed them beforehand and got them a brownie boat dessert which I don't think they have anymore.

Both times we made the earliest ressie we could at 11:30 which I think was close to opening time, arrived 30 minutes before to request a waterside table and still didn't get one either time. The second time we ended up in a corner right next to the kitchen.

Just wasn't worth it to us. We now prefer to spend a bit more and do Goofy's Kitchen. We stay til they kick us out-:rotfl2: and there's so much variety that everyone is full and happy!

Has the food quality gone downhill? I usually go every yr but last yr our kids were sick and we had to cancel our reservations. So I was there in 2011 last. Has it changed? I hope not. I liked it, a lot, at that time. I'm picky, too.

We last ate there in May 2011 and have pretty much written it off. A lot of people will tell you it's wonderful, that the food is great, that there's nowhere better in the Disney area to eat... so it's subjective.

We found it no longer meets our expectations and that the quality of the food does not justify the expense. We'd like to try Napa Rose, but right now we're touring with an autistic two year old, so we're gonna give that one a pass for a couple years. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter