Blue Grotto Boat Trip and Fishing Village

jtw999

Mouseketeer
We are considering the excursion we'd like to take in Malta on our Med cruise this summer. For Malta, we'd like to do a half-day tour and then maybe check out the area afterward. This is one of the only ports where we plan to do a DCL tour.

We are 5 in our family (3 boys - 13, 11, and 8).

Has anyone gone on this excursion? Is it one that would be advisable? What is the village like? Is there an option of lingering in Malta and seeing the sights on our own or does the excursion take us right back to the ship? Lastly, are there any suggestions on what to do if we don't get right on the boat?

Our other thought is to do the Valletta/Mdina excursion.

Any details would be very appreciated!!! :banana:

Hi!

My family and I went on the 11 night Med cruise last summer. We didn't know much about Malta prior to the trip but this truly ended up being one of our favorite ports. It's such a beautiful place. We did the Blue Grotto Tour and it was hands down our favorite excursion of the cruise. We are all adults and had a blast. Our excursion left in the afternoon so we spent the morning exploring on our own - went to St. John's Co-Cathedral and a GREAT jewelry shop with filigree silver - it was one of the Disney recommended shops - you MUST go there. The necklace I bought there was just 18 euros and my favorite souvenir from the whole trip. It's called Ardnael Filigree Works. It was a small shop that sold local Maltese silver filigree. The owner Vincenzo was there and we watched as he made these tiny silver necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc. It's on the same long street that St. John's is on - you have to walk down the hill a little bit to get there but so worth it.

I pulled up the blog I did last summer while on the cruise and figured this would be the best way to give you details on the Blue Grotto excursion... Enjoy! :goodvibes

Our tour met in the Walt Disney Theatre at 12:45 and we were placed on Bus 16. We had a great local guide (I think her name was Helena) who told us the history of Malta and interesting facts as we drove around the island. Here's a few new things I learned: the movies Troy and Gladiator were filmed here, all compact cases for makeup are made here in a factory then shipped all over the world for makeup to be placed inside them, the Maltese language is the only Arabic root language written with English characters, Malta was a British colony until 1964 so there are still many British influences such as red phone booths and red mailboxes.

We first stopped at a beautiful cliff to see the caves of the Blue Grotto. We then drove over there and had a snack and the local drink called Kinnie which was a mixture of bitter oranges and herbs. It was very bitter and no one in our group really liked it. Then we went down to board the small boat for the Blue Grotto tour. They only fit 8 people. Me, Ashley, and Andrew sat in the first row. The seas were very rough and we kept bouncing up and down on the waves! We got over to the caves and the water was super blue and full of jellyfish. We went in several caves and the whole experience lasted about 20 minutes. We had a lot of fun and were laughing a lot as we bounced around in the boat. When we got out, we still had about 30 minutes to explore the area and we took some photos of the sea. Then we drove to the other side of the island to a small fishing village called Marsaxlokk. It was full of brightly colored fishing boats that all have eyes on the front of them to protect them while they are at sea. A lot of the souvenirs consisted of these eyes, the Maltese cross, silver filigree, and handmade lace. I also bought a silver filigree necklace of the Maltese cross. We then rode back into town and when we got off the bus I tried to find wi-fi so I could connect to Skype. No luck. The signal was very weak.

Haven't done the tour as I haven't been on a DCL cruise yet, but when I was in Europe a decade ago I went with a tour (I want to say with Insight?? whoever AAA was booking at the time), and we stopped at Malta; the tour was not offering the Blue Grottoes excursion but another couple on the tour (the wife was Italian) was going on it, and I still remember the men singing in those caves - it was one of the highlights of that trip! Go if you have a chance, either with the excursion or on your own.

Malta is doable on your own if you decide not to do a DCL excursion. I think several families did private tours there, including Blue Grotto.

The town of Valletta is easy to see - and an enjoyable place to walk around and just be. You can get a public bus from the port to town for about 94 cents RT - it is a direct bus.

There's a McDonald's in town (don't take a picture of the menu - this is forbidden - not kidding). There is a WIFI area outside one of the main buildings; I went to an internet cafe and had a good, inexpensive connection. Lots of machines, Skype... It's called Ziffa Internet Cafe, tucked around the corner from a main street; I went past it but found it when I turned around.

Search posts by grlzmom or Brooklyn - I think you might get some ideas from the April 24 11-night MED in 2010.

I have a review and a video in my Tr on my blog....link is in my siggie. We really liked it.

Thank you all for your helpful advice! We will definitely aim to book the Blue Grotto and plan to check out Valletta, as well.:thumbsup2

Personally, having recently returned from a weeks holiday on Malta ....the Blue Grotto is OK, but there are plenty of other places that I would recommend over this place, if you only have a few hours there.

See this thread for more ideas and information ;
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2632033&highlight=turkish

I had to laugh regarding the comments about the McDonalds as we also went there one day as a compromise deal to the kids ....I can tell you it is not a cheap meal option in Valletta !! :scared1:...the only redeeming feature for DH at least, was that you could buy a beer there off the menu...we have never seen this offered in a McDonalds before !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter