• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bluezoo or Flying Fish? Or..?

2vets

Addicted since 1971
Hi, Disney hive mind! Revisiting this topic. I’m treating my mom to Disney for a couple of days, with the intent on pampering her. She has had a stressful couple of years, she placed my dad into memory care in January after trying to care for him at home for a bit longer than was probably good for her, and she got and is still getting a lot of flak from some of my siblings. It has taken her minths to start coming back out of a very wound up place, and I want her to relax and enjoy. We each have CL rooms at BWI, and I have Jollywood tix for us one night. The other night, I’d like to take her to dinner near our resort - considering bluezoo (I’ve never been), Flying Fish (I’ve been, great food but kind of crowded, IMO), or even Shiki-Sai. I’d consider Monsieur Paul, but the additional pressure to be dressed very nicely seems not relaxing (opinions welcome). She is a seafood fan, but she will eat anything.

I’m not concerned about cost. She deserves to be spoiled!! Just a great meal near our resort. Thanks so much!

If the menu at BlueZoo appeals to you that would get my vote, its a bit more upscale and might be a nice change. I would check to see if there is a large convention/conference as it could be very busy. I'd also make reservations, go to the bottom of the page and you'll see both a phone option (my recommendation) or the link takes you to OpenTable.

I was in your mom’s place several years ago, but with my mother. It’s an incredibly hard decision that still leaves me sometimes wondering if it was the right thing. (It was.) I also just recently chose between the same two restaurants for an October trip. I have one night on my own before my non-seafood eating family arrives and decided to treat myself. Ultimately I was guided by menu, and Bluezoo won. I liked its simple fish selection. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I was in your mom’s place several years ago, but with my mother. It’s an incredibly hard decision that still leaves me sometimes wondering if it was the right thing. (It was.) I also just recently chose between the same two restaurants for an October trip. I have one night on my own before my non-seafood eating family arrives and decided to treat myself. Ultimately I was guided by menu, and Bluezoo won. I liked its simple fish selection. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
OT - Thank you - it’s been trying. None of us live locally, and my mom (previously quite active) had become completely isolated, as my dad could not be left alone anymore. The judgement and extreme anger from two of my siblings - who are not there to help my 80-yr-old mom (!) - has been shocking to me. I have visited Dad a few times, and the last few, he seems comfortable and very adjusted. The staff and considered activities mean he has far better care there, and my mom is finally relaxing a bit.

That’s two votes for bluezoo!! The menu is very appealing!

I love both bluezoo and Flying Fish. I would give the edge to Flying Fish. I love the menu, the decor, and have always had terrific service. Perhaps we were simply unlucky in timing but last visit at bluezoo we were sat near a very large table of convention go-ers and not only was it very loud but our service also suffered as they were trying to manage a table of 20. That was a later dinner ... if you were dining earlier, you might miss the convention crowd entirely in the dining room (they have a popular happy hour in the lounge).

Went to Shiki Sai weekend before last. While it was good, I wouldn't put it in the same category as Flying Fish and bluezoo.

Very sweet of you to do this for your mom. I hope that you both have an amazing trip and that it's very healing for her.

I've been to bluezoo and Flying Fish (haven't been to Shiki-Sai yet). I would choose Flying Fish. Have you considered a later reservation? I ended up with a late night ADR on our last trip and it didn't feel crowded at all. The food was AMAZING. We also enjoy Topolino's a lot - would you consider a Skyliner ride over to RIV for dinner?

I've never been disappointed with my many visits to Flying Fish. The first time I went to BlueZoo it was amazing; the next two trips it was just okay. For that reason I would go with FF.

I'll just throw out there that there's really no requirement to dress very nicely at Monsieur Paul. We were there in August. I wore shorts and a short-sleeved button-down shirt, and my wife wore a skirt and a nice t-shirt. We were similarly dressed to everyone else there at the time. The food and service will be superior to the other three choices, IMHO, as it should be for the price.

Between Blue Zoo and FF, we go Blue Zoo. Love the food, service, and atmosphere, and we prefer it over FF. But in reality, both are really nice places, so you don't have a bad choice!!

I read the chef at Flying Fish left for Turf Club. has anyone dined there since the new chef started? We have ADRs for next month.

We've eaten at Bluezoo & Flying Fish.

Flying Fish would get my vote, though we really liked the lounge for some predinner drinks at Bluezoo.

Regarding Monssieur Paul, dressing up isn't required. It's in a theme park. I'd probably change into fresh clothes after a full day at the parks, but, it doesn't require elegant wear.

To me, Monsieur Paul feels so relaxed and pampering.
For bluezoo, I would check the convention schedule to make sure Swolphin isn’t overrun.

If it were me, I would do Monsieur Paul, or Skyliner/ride share to Toppolinos for the experience and view

We’ve eaten at both Blue Zoo & Flying Fish. Both are good food. But, we like Blue zoo for its consistency and atmosphere. The fish size seems to have shrunk at Flying fish while prices incresed.

If it's between BlueZoo and Flying Fish, Flying Fish gets my vote.

But, I'd really recommend Monsieur Paul. As others have mentioned - dress code isn't strict as it's in a park. When I dined, there was a mix of people from basic theme park attire (t-shirts and shorts) to smart/casual to fancypants dress. I was in the middle with nice jeans and a semi-dressy blouse and didn't feel out of place. The food is amazing and the experience is even better - a nice, relaxed atmosphere and staff who are very knowledgeable about the food and wine and encourage lingering over the meal.

I haven't been to Shiki-Sai yet, but Takumi-Tei might be another good option - quiet, relaxed dining with incredibly attentive staff. And same mix of level of dressiness as Monsieur Paul.

I'm really sorry for everything you and your mom are going through. I hope it's a fabulous vacation and she's able to relax and enjoy. Anecdotal, but when my grandmother had to go into memory care it ended up being the best thing for her - the facility and staff understood what she needed and were able to provide her with a stable, caring environment. She really thrived in the environment and was very happy, even if it was still incredibly hard on the family.

Blue Zoo. Had my first dinner there last month, and it was delicious. And our server was wonderful.

We went to both last trip and Flying Fish wins. Bluezoo was good and fresh but I didn't feel the hit all the right tastebuds as much as FF did and we were 8 people and tried LOTS of dishes in both locations.

I have not been to Monsieur Paul since the new menu, but I don't think you have to stress about dressing up. I agree, it is still in a park.

It's a tough call. I would use location to help you choose at this point. Do you want to have to go into a park?

The atmosphere outside of FF on the Boardwalk is so nice, you could easily enjoy some time on the Boardwalk after coming out of FF and that is always fun.

I think as far as food is concerned, you'll probably be happy no matter where you go and Mom is going to be so grateful for all that you're doing you won't have to worry!

Monsieur Paul of course. I am a commercial spearfisherman and lobster diver half the time so I'm particular about seafood.
BZ and FF are great but rely too much on imports or shipped fish vs. fresh local. There is a reason so many Michelin starred restaurants use solely local fresh seasonal ingredients. Just better for perishables.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter