Boarding Buses ?

msr709

DISfan forever
Last year was the first time I had rented an outside ECV and had it with me all the time. We used the Disney bus transportation and it was great, we also were there during Sept. so it was not crowded and I was in a very large group (there were 11 of us) so I had no concerns then. I'm leaving in 8 days and I'm wondering what its going to be like going at the peak season. My concern is getting on line for the bus. I'm staying at POP and I know the lines will be long and I'm thinking I'm going to feel uncomfortable rolling up to the side line and getting on a bus that has a long line. I want to catch the early bus out in the morning and come back during the hotter time of the day to rest at the hotel and then go back during late afternoon/early evening so I will be using the bus a lot. I figured during closing time I would just hold back and wait for the crowds to thin out. Am I alone in feeling weird of waiting for the bus on the side and being able to board the bus first because of the ECV, or am I just being paranoid? My use of the ECV is pretty apparent since I use a cane and usually have the knee brace on but still... I know that crowds can form into "mobs" and I don't want something like that to ruin my vacation. Anyone feel the same? Any suggestions to avoid this? :confused3

I sometimes feel badly about being loaded first, but I would rather have them load me first than have to tell people that they need to move out of certain seats because that is where mine and my daughter's wheelchairs need to go....

I really felt weird about it to (son in wheelchair). But the bottom line is that the chair won't go thru the queue, I can't fold it and have him stand thru the queue (chair to heavy/bulky and he wouldn't be able to stand that long). If you hang back outside the queue, you'd never get on. So, the only option was to pull up to the side. Once I told the driver we'd wait for the next bus, since it looked like about a busload of folks were there first. He said "nonsense."

LisaB

A little paranoia never hurts. Notice what the other two posters have said and believe it. Most of the drivers are more than happy to assist knowing that the others do not really have any problem waiting to get on.

I do feel abit guilty. But there really isn't another system that works. Besides sometimes the bus already has the wheelchair spots filled even if the rest isn't and you have to wait. Or the lift is broken, or it's not the type of bus you can get your chair/ECV onto(happens to some).

It's WDW's rules you are following. You're just doing what you're told to do in this situation.

I agree with everyone else.

I feel a bit guilty being allowed on the bus first, but I would much rather get on first than get off first at a park destination.

Some people get upset or say things, but must people are very nice, and the bus drivers always want to put you on first so that it will be easier to prepare the bus area for you.

I feel more guiltsy when people are already on board the bus, near the space that I have to park. Sometimes it is difficult to go forward and back up to park. I feel guilty if the other people have to temporaryly move their legs or made to feel uncomfortable while I try to park on the bus. But 95% of the time, everyone is very considerate.

Sincerely, Ray

Thanks for all your replies. I guess that is the only way this would work. Thanks for making me see the sense of it, I feel better about it. Its just that since I'm going alone and I'm rather on the shy side, I hate to bring attention to myself and I'm just driving myself crazy thinking of what if this or what if that. I'm just going to go and enjoy myself, I am going to the happiest place on Earth, right? Thanks again to everyone! :cool1: :moped:

We just got back home and I have to say the loading buses issue did cause us a bit of stress. By nature I am not comfortable with skipping lines.
I am much happier now that most ride queues are accessible and we can wait our turn like everyone else.
All the bus drivers we encountered were lovely and I understand it is their policy to load wheelchairs and ECVs first regardless of how long the line was. Fair enough.
I just wish Disney would display this policy prominently at the bus stops for other guests waiting in line to see, as my DS who uses a wheelchair was subjected to some very nasty comments from people who made it clear they thought he shouldn't be getting on ahead of them.
Once while waiting to board a bus at AKL (and we had been first in line anyway), I was almost run over by an elderly lady in an ECV who was determined to get on first even though the driver had said he wanted to load the wheelchair first. When it was clear she wasn't going to be first, she then proceeded to leave the ECV behind and climb the steps ahead of us, shouting to her companion, 'leave it there, I can walk'. Unbelievable!
Some lovely days were spoiled at the end by the dread of the bus back to the resort, especially at busy times, which are hard to avoid in July.

loadsapixiedust said:
We just got back home and I have to say the loading buses issue did cause us a bit of stress. By nature I am not comfortable with skipping lines.
I am much happier now that most ride queues are accessible and we can wait our turn like everyone else.
All the bus drivers we encountered were lovely and I understand it is their policy to load wheelchairs and ECVs first regardless of how long the line was. Fair enough.
I just wish Disney would display this policy prominently at the bus stops for other guests waiting in line to see, as my DS who uses a wheelchair was subjected to some very nasty comments from people who made it clear they thought he shouldn't be getting on ahead of them.
Once while waiting to board a bus at AKL (and we had been first in line anyway), I was almost run over by an elderly lady in an ECV who was determined to get on first even though the driver had said he wanted to load the wheelchair first. When it was clear she wasn't going to be first, she then proceeded to leave the ECV behind and climb the steps ahead of us, shouting to her companion, 'leave it there, I can walk'. Unbelievable!
Some lovely days were spoiled at the end by the dread of the bus back to the resort, especially at busy times, which are hard to avoid in July.

I'm so sorry to hear about how inconsiderate some people can be and I'm sorry your DS had to encounter it. :sad2: Thank goodness that the bus drivers were nice to you. :) I just came back and I have to say that not once did I encounter such behavior boarding the buses (in the parks it was another matter). I stayed at POP and I usually was the first in line anyway but a couple of times I reached the bus when it had already started boarding and I just told the driver I would wait for the next one which to my surprise was never more than 5 minutes. The buses at POP were really wonderful especially since I was there the first week of July and expected it to be a madhouse. All the bus drivers were very nice and all the people I encountered were very understanding. I guess I was just lucky! :wave2:

Just wanted to say that if they have already started loading the bus when you arrive expect to wait for th next bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter