Boardwalk Inn or Old Key West in August - Is OKW worth the extra $$$

TigersLions

Mouseketeer
Hi All,
I am not familiar with either of these resorts and would love to hear your opinion about if you think it would be worth it to spend extra money on Old Key West or if Boardwalk would be just fine.

I think what I am most interested in is the bus ride from the resort to the parks (park hopper). Is there one that takes longer than the other? When we stayed at the Wilderness cabins, I didn't like that we had to take a bus to get to a bus. Also, it seemed like lines were longer for returning to certain resorts from the park than others. So wondering where these two resorts rank for that category.

A second consideration would be the outdoor pools and water features because we love coming back from the park and swimming and are considering just a day at the resort rather than going to the parks every day.

We have five (2 adults, 3 kids (14 F, 12 M, 10 M). Thanks!!!

I'm actually surprised that OKW would be more expensive than BWI. I would take BWI over OKW anytime. BWI allows you two parks that you can walk to or take the boat and I love that convenience. The only place you can get to from OKW without taking a bus is the boat to Disney Springs.

Hi All,
I am not familiar with either of these resorts and would love to hear your opinion about if you think it would be worth it to spend extra money on Old Key West or if Boardwalk would be just fine.

I think what I am most interested in is the bus ride from the resort to the parks (park hopper). Is there one that takes longer than the other? When we stayed at the Wilderness cabins, I didn't like that we had to take a bus to get to a bus. Also, it seemed like lines were longer for returning to certain resorts from the park than others. So wondering where these two resorts rank for that category.

A second consideration would be the outdoor pools and water features because we love coming back from the park and swimming and are considering just a day at the resort rather than going to the parks every day.

We have five (2 adults, 3 kids (14 F, 12 M, 10 M). Thanks!!!
OKW - you will need to take a bus everywhere. It's a large and sprawling resort. Very relaxing. May need to take an internal bus to get to the feature pool.

BWI - walking distance to EPCOT's International Gateway and HS. You can also take a boat. Bus transportation to MK and AK is sometimes shared with other resorts. Feature pool has a clown slide which is considered the best slide on property outside of the water parks but it is a clown and some people find it a little scary.

The big difference is that BWI is a hotel room whereas OKW is all timeshare units.

OKW is more like a getaway family vacation to me. Not as much theming...but very relaxing and great for "down time".

Boardwalk is totally in the thick of things. Hollywood Studios & Epcot are very close to Boardwalk. You have choice of walking (Hollywood Studios) or the boat is minutes from Epcot. You can see or bike/walk to Dolphin, Swan & there is restaurants and shops along the boardwalk. The boat can take you across the lake to Yacht & Beach Club.
They have magicians and many other exciting street performers to entertain the kids too.

They're both great, but I would choose Boardwalk even if it was more $$. Being able to walk to 2 parks is awesome. And Boardwalk has THE best slide on property.

From my own personal experience I would choose BW for the ability to walk to Epcot and HS. There’s also a boat that takes you to those parks as well. The bus will take you to the MK and AK.

OkW is a huge Resort. Depending on where your room is located you might make several stops on the bus before it even leaves the resort grounds to head to the park.

BW has a feature pool called Luna Park and has IMO the best slide. Some don’t like the clown but it doesn’t bother my family. The quiet pools on property are very peaceful. There’s one on the Inn side and one on the Villas side.

Good luck with your decision.

Definitely stick with BWI, especially if transportation times are a priority. It takes forever just to go through all the bus stops within OKW (whoever designed that with all the turnarounds should have been fired, it's terrible).

Given your criteria, I would pick BW but it really depends on how much space you need and what kind of rooms are you comparing. If you are comparing a regular room at BWI and a studio at OKW or a 1 bedroom at OKW, you are going to have a ton more space. The studios at OKW have two beds, a bigger kitchenette then most studios, a great screened in balcony and a large bathroom. Obviously, the 1 bedrooms have even more room. You are going to have to take a bus everywhere at OKW, you are going to have to take a bus to 2 parks at BWI. As far as how soon the buses come to the stops, the buses are the buses and are no different in speed and service at any of the resorts. There are multiple stops at OKW so there is that, but if you get a villa on the main road you will be a the first stop. When I stayed there I would sit on my balcony enjoying a cup of coffee, when the bus I wanted stopped at my stop I would gather my stuff and walk over to the main bus stop, which is about a 2 minute walk. It is the last stop on the route. On the way back I'd just get off at my stop since it was first. Those villas are also right across from the main pool. I didn't use it while I was there so I can't comment on it. The main BWI pool is pretty good and active. It is possible to get a room pretty far from it so you might have a long walk through the REDRUM hallways. The walking distance to Epcot is 5 min or so, according to where your room is and about 10 to 15 min. to HS. There is also the boat that serves BWI from both Epcot and HS but we just walk it.

I'm also surprised that Old Key West is more money than Boardwalk. Old Key West rooms are the biggest on property and is like a condo type resort on a golf course and near Downtown Disney. It's a spread out campus style resort. I liked it when I was there, but Boardwalk is my all time favorite because you're within walking distance to the International Gateway at Epcot and there is great nightlife there.

Given your criteria, I would pick BW but it really depends on how much space you need and what kind of rooms are you comparing. If you are comparing a regular room at BWI and a studio at OKW or a 1 bedroom at OKW, you are going to have a ton more space. The studios at OKW have two beds, a bigger kitchenette then most studios, a great screened in balcony and a large bathroom. Obviously, the 1 bedrooms have even more room. You are going to have to take a bus everywhere at OKW, you are going to have to take a bus to 2 parks at BWI. As far as how soon the buses come to the stops, the buses are the buses and are no different in speed and service at any of the resorts. There are multiple stops at OKW so there is that, but if you get a villa on the main road you will be a the first stop. When I stayed there I would sit on my balcony enjoying a cup of coffee, when the bus I wanted stopped at my stop I would gather my stuff and walk over to the main bus stop, which is about a 2 minute walk. It is the last stop on the route. On the way back I'd just get off at my stop since it was first. Those villas are also right across from the main pool. I didn't use it while I was there so I can't comment on it. The main BWI pool is pretty good and active. It is possible to get a room pretty far from it so you might have a long walk through the REDRUM hallways. The walking distance to Epcot is 5 min or so, according to where your room is and about 10 to 15 min. to HS. There is also the boat that serves BWI from both Epcot and HS but we just walk it.

Redrum hallways! Ha ha that is so funny.......................and unfortunately so true!!!!
I think I lost 10 lbs that trip.

There's a post on this board somewhere where I totally razz my husband for walking sooooooooooooo far just to fill up his Disney Mug.:P

Definitely BWI if I had to choose. If you're not in a hurry and have park hoppers, you can also walk from BWI through Epcot and Monorail to the Magic Kingdom. We like to do this when not rope dropping. And normally we'll stop and ride Figment, the Seas with Nemo and Friends, or stop at Club Cool while on our journey through Epcot to get to the Magic Kingdom. Have a great trip!

OKW is by far the largest rooms on property. That is great with a family of 5
To clarify, the have large patios/balconies with a round table and chairs, but not screened in porches

OKW is quiet, Boardwalk is very busy. Depends on what type of room you are comparing, what kind of vacation you want. We love OKW and don't think the bus service is bad, in fact we consider it the best on property.

I think the walk at Boardwalk is longer than the bus ride at OKW. In other words, leaving your room and walking to a bus to MK will take just as long or longer door to door from Boardwalk. Or that's just how it feels lol.

We love both, our next trip is in a Boardwalk View Studio at BWV and we are SO excited! We love resort time as well as park time, so we'll be out on the balcony and around the pool, or at Big River Grille or ESPN for apps and drinks. Love the boat too. You'll have plenty of dining options at Epcot staying at BWV too.

I'm also surprised that Old Key West is more money than Boardwalk. Old Key West rooms are the biggest on property and is like a condo type resort on a golf course and near Downtown Disney. It's a spread out campus style resort. I liked it when I was there, but Boardwalk is my all time favorite because you're within walking distance to the International Gateway at Epcot and there is great nightlife there.
OKW is probably more expensive because the OP would need a 1-bedroom villa to accommodate 5 people whereas 5 people will fit (tightly) in a BWI hotel room. Apples and oranges. The OKW villa would have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. And you really cannot dismiss the advantage of all that space and the ammenities.

If we're comparing studios then BW in a heartbeat. If we're comparing a studio vs a 1 bedroom then I'd go with the 1 bedroom if the cost were similar.

Just wanted to give an update! BW was sold out so we had to go with Grand Floridian but I totally appreciate all of your thoughts on this. Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter